Advice on Painting 2nd Ed. Pitch

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Advice on Painting 2nd Ed. Pitch

Post by lawquoter »

I just picked up a pristine 2nd ed. pitch from a friend, and I need to paint it. I haven't done one up before, and seeing as I only have 1, I don't want to make my mistakes on it. Any advice? I like the way the stones look, so I just want to do enough to bring out the detail. Washes and highlights with a little drybrushing (i.e. the skull)? I'm afraid to begin until I get some input. :wink:

Reason: ''
NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

my only advice when i painted mine (1989) used thick paint and it looked very plastic. try to get a realistic feel to the squares and use a thin paint with some shading. A flat coat will look bland due to the lack of detail on the material.
In fact I would go for a white spray can undercoat, and then a grey base colour. Then A - shade with paint or B - glue sand and drybrush.

...the pope said to his aid...
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I certainly would avoid spray paint on a styrofoam board.. The styrofoam melts in contact with the solvents in spray paints (and super glue), which is something you probably don't want...

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I understand that to be true. The modeling guides recommend you paint styrofoam with watered down white glue to seal it against the solvents in the spraypaint. I haven't tried it but the White Dwarf assures me it works.

Have fun!
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Ooooh. You just have to paint it, eh? :D

http://www.impactminiatures.com
lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Post by lawquoter »

Chairface wrote:Ooooh. You just have to paint it, eh? :D
Of course... :lol: I can't help myself.

I was thinking of just shading the pitch as is, without any primer. I don't think I want to spray paint it, b/c I'm afraid of the whole melting phenomenon. I had thought about a watered down ink to sink into the recesses, while leaving the rest. Then again, if it's not the right consistency, I'll get a black square, something I don't want.

NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Well if you HAVE to paint it, don't go anywear near it with spray paint. Bad, bad, bad! Or course you knew this already. :wink: Just do an undercoat with some white or black acrylic paint that you can pick up at most dollar stores and then procede as usual. The ink route could be good too. Just try it really watered down first. Good luck!

http://www.impactminiatures.com