Stripping paint

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

whitehawk
Rookie
Rookie

Stripping paint

Post by whitehawk »

Has anyone any recommendations for paint removal from figures?
I have tried pure alcohol which worked ok but didnt get into the creases.
I also tried paint stripper on a troll but left it in the stripper too long and it melted :lol:
I shall try paint stripper for less time next, I was just wondering if someone new of the perfect way to do it e.g removes all paint quickly and easily and does not damage figure :-?

Reason: ''
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Nitromors works well, i've left figures in it for a week before with no damage to the mini.

You need a wire brush to clean it properly afterwards, but works very well.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Detol works very well too and is usable on plastics.

I use a toothbrush rather than a wire brush. I tried one once but as well as removing the paint it scratched up the fig. Might not damage white metal figs though.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

A wire brush is a bit industrial. if a toothbrush is not working go to an cqr parts shop and buy a spark plug brush. its small and uses copper wire.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Nosuphoru
Rookie
Rookie

Break Fluid as Paint Remover

Post by Nosuphoru »

Break Fluid and a toothbrush is good for both plastic and metal minis. Soak 'em overnight and they'll come clean pretty easy.

Mmm...mmm...good
Nosuphoru
Rookie
Rookie

Oh..and

Post by Nosuphoru »

Almost forgot...

BTW: Break Fluid may also dissolve the glue you have holding the model/base together.

It never did that for me, but the guy who told me about it said it did for him a couple times.

I also know it sounds crazy to use break fluid, but hey, if it works...it works (and its pretty inexpensive).

Mmm...mmm...good
sorne
Experienced
Experienced

Post by sorne »

Standard paint stripper for me(local DIY shop own brand),10 minutes and a toothbrush in an old jam jar.DON'T DO PLASTIC WITH IT!
I have some 2nd ed mini's that were painted 15 years ago that have come up great with it. :) :D

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

My vote goes for Nitromors green. I had 40 odd minis to strip that I'd bought off Ebay - I just bunged them in a jam jar, covered them in neat Nitromors then screwed on the lid. I went back to it a couple of days later and used an old toothbrush to move any stubborn bits of old paint out of the crevices - on the whole it was a doddle.

Just make sure you watch your eyes when using the toothbrush - you don't want that stuff getting in your eyes. It might not be a bad idea to do it outside too as the fumes are quite strong.

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

And don't get yer nose to close to the jar, the fumes are enuff to strip the hairs outta your nostrils. I KNOW!!!

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!