Discussing Varnishes (Spray or Brush?) (Matte or Gloss?)

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Grundgen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Grundgen »

I use Testors and Model Masters dull coate...I think I like the model masters a bit more, but I always buy a little can of each

Reason: ''
misterwister2000
Rookie
Rookie

What Brands of Varnish Do You Prefer?

Post by misterwister2000 »

I e-mailed a really good painter, the guy who runs slappingpaint.net, and he uses 2 coats of Krylon Matte Sealer (Satin) first, and then seals it with a true matte varnish, Modelmaster Testors Dullcote, afterwards. Spraying on a protective, glossy varnish, and then finishing with a matte sealent seems to be a common practice among professional painters. Also, the Testors sealent mentioned above is especially popular. I did some research and actually found a comparison of major varnishes at http://www.terrainosaur.com/varnish/varnish.html

*I apologize for my html skills (or lack thereof)*

What is your favorite matte sealent? I imagine a lot of you use Citadel. Maybe you use Krylon for an inexpensive and protective coat beforehand.

Thanks

sineater40k
Experienced
Experienced

Post by sineater40k »

My method is to hit em with a coat of Krylon CLear coat, yes its glossy as a britney spears outfit. After it dries i go back and hit it again with Testors Dullcoat, this stuff is the bomb! It will take the shine of of chrome :)

Now my minis are durable but not glossy

Custom Pitch designs at
the Pitch Witch http://www.geocities.com/pitch_witch/
BunnyPuncher
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BunnyPuncher »

Future Floor Finish.. $5 bottle will last you a life time, and its tougher than any hobby product... it is a bit glossy... but that can be toned down by mixing with a bit o' H2O

Elf Mangling Union (EMU)
Founder and President