ROLLJORDAN - Spiked Rats WIP Updated 09/17/09

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Re

Post by ulvardar »

Mmmmm.... not really good, i will try to do some constructive criticism...

He looks really much like GW ones. No tail (why???), dog face, strange muscles in the arms and it looks as if you have taken a mini with a great weapon and took it off.

The best rat ogre i've seen was the old bone ripper (the 3 arms one, full of chains and armour and with a tail, of course). Ok, it had an awful face, but was really nice to field a mutated monster. I tell you just in case you want to have some inspiration.

So i would change yours a bit. Just my most humble point of view.

Reason: ''
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Good point about the tail. Have you thought about bending him at the hip a bit, so he's at a 60º angle off the base, with the Prehensile Tail as an extra point of contact? Then you'd need to reposition the arms, but given the criticism you're getting, that might be a good idea anyway. You could also give him a really dynamic pose: given the size of the model, one foot would provide a lot of support as long as the center of gravity is directly over said foot, and a foot and a tail will give as much latitude as two feet.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Lecter1972
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Re

Post by Lecter1972 »

ulvardar wrote:Mmmmm.... not really good, i will try to do some constructive criticism...

He looks really much like GW ones. No tail (why???), dog face, strange muscles in the arms and it looks as if you have taken a mini with a great weapon and took it off.

The best rat ogre i've seen was the old bone ripper (the 3 arms one, full of chains and armour and with a tail, of course). Ok, it had an awful face, but was really nice to field a mutated monster. I tell you just in case you want to have some inspiration.

So i would change yours a bit. Just my most humble point of view.
Agreed the old boneripper was a great miniature and it was one of the reasons I suggested giving this rat-ogre some mutations (4 arms would be great in a similar stance to the ogre sketch on the first page)

It will be impossible to please everyone but what attracts me to purchasing certain minis over others is when I see something and say "well thats different to the others I have in my collection"

Hencore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hencore »

I might be talking rubbish here but for me his chest is altogether to human in structure.

This is rat, they don't have the same muscle build up as a human and on top of that the proportions are massive over-exaggerated.

I think apricotsoup's render is a lot closer, in my mind, of what a rat ogre would look like. Even with mutations or modifications I don't see why rat ogres have to an ogre's body with a rats head and fur. They should be tall and lean yet still musclar and without exaggerated human abdominal muscles(apricotsoup has used spikes to cover up this area).

Just my 2pence worth.

rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

Some pics of the team WIP added to the first page.

GreyKnight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star
Location: Spreading the word of Nuffle in my robes, socks, and opened-toed sandals.

Post by GreyKnight »

Hmmm? Pictures don't help, but the 1st & 3rd rats from the right look awfully stiff legged.

[color=gray][b]GreyKnight[/b][/color]
rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

More pics of one of the WIP models:
ImageImageImage

rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

23 Sept. 09 Update. Big Rat, 2 tunnel rats and 1 block rat...

irlandes
Experienced
Experienced

Post by irlandes »

the position of the players remind me The Bushwackers, lol...

[url=http://asociaciontempus.com/irungobbowl]Tournament in Irun[/url] (Spain-France frontier)
Our Irun League www.asociaciontempus.com
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Lol thats awesome!

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
Cracol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cracol »

I like the models but not the poses as they appear to be 'tick tocking' What I mean is the poses have them with left arm and left legs forward where as the natural posing would be left leg forward right arm forward, or vice versa.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Still waiting to be wowed by these, just isn't happening. Sorry to say. I loved all the other stuff you've done but these are looking like the swayback mare in the thoughbred race. The anatomy is all over the place on the big guy and the posing is amature at best on the other figs. Looks like a redo to me.S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

mmm, not doing much for me either for two reasons:

1) the poses are very "weird" as alluded to by others

2) while "rat in a cloak" is not exactly considered to be IP, these are too close to the official minis to excite me - why not do GRs on all fours, or maybe even give them extra legs to explain the speed??

sorry Chris, I really love a lot of what you do (started my Frogs yesterday BTW 8) ) but these rats are not quite right..

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bjorn9486
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bjorn9486 »

I personally like the crazy look of all the players so far. The only thing I see possibly wrong is the block rat looks like a Saurus warrior with the helmet decoration.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

cloacks isn't really very blood bowl uniform either, assassins aside for the obvious cloak and dagger combo ;]

i agree that one looks like the old saurus as well