ROLLJORDAN - Spiked Rats WIP Updated 09/17/09

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

omnimutant
Experienced
Experienced

Post by omnimutant »

While Im a Big fan of most of your mini's these just aren't cutting it. Obviously it's a million times better then I can do but as a consumer I'd pass. I think they look too Oafish for me. Rats are fast Because they are lean and agile. these look more like Dwarf rats or something. More like a team of mini rat ogres. Lean em out and go with some more not so obvious poses on the blitzers and your on to something. Seriously like others have said those poses just don't work.

I'm sorry for the comments trying to be as constructive as I can. Your other Mini's are far more superior to this work in every way.

Reason: ''
rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

omnimutant wrote:While Im a Big fan of most of your mini's these just aren't cutting it. Obviously it's a million times better then I can do but as a consumer I'd pass. I think they look too Oafish for me. Rats are fast Because they are lean and agile. these look more like Dwarf rats or something. More like a team of mini rat ogres. Lean em out and go with some more not so obvious poses on the blitzers and your on to something. Seriously like others have said those poses just don't work.

I'm sorry for the comments trying to be as constructive as I can. Your other Mini's are far more superior to this work in every way.
:D we need this kind of comments. We are here mainly for you guys.
The issue was first we didn't have sketches and we had no controll over production. The sculptor is a fantastic sculptor and inspired by the more known rats from another brand for them. That is why so little WIP was posted for comments. These will go into production anyway. The sculptor did them for free and will get a % of the income on them, we only have molding cost on our end.

He is now starting a new team for us.... chaotic? Maybe... less agility involved. I am sure he will make up on this second project.

But I have them in my hands now, and even if I was skeptic at the start also appart fom the gutter that are a little too big for me, the rest of the models are very well done both in details and body type. The poses also in reality realy cahnge. I will start the molds this week and hopefully by the end of the month we will have some painted examples to show.

In the mean while we got an update on the oriental gobbos... looking better now ;) but still some minor changes needed.

Will update the Gobbo topic tonight.

Chris

Storch
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Storch »

While I will almost certainly pick up a copy of #3 (love the pose) to augment a 2nd ed team, the rest just don't really do anything for me.

I would say they are far better than the current GW, but not interesting because I already have other models.

Caelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Caelwyn »

One of the problems I had with the team is that 90% of them seem to be in the same pose from the waist down. And its not really a great pose to begin with.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Just a thought... I'd probably buy the shoulder pads if he wanted to sell some of those. Looks like he's cast a few up to do this sculpting, if there are any left over (or you fancy casting them as a conversion pack yourself), then count me in.

I personally like converting plastics to teams, but there are one or two things that just don't seem to be available on the market seperately. Ideally I'd like to see a general kit available for converting plastics; and if I were to put it together, I'd say something like:

12-16 shoulder pads (like the ones cast up here)
2 thrower arms/hands with ball attached

and as a maybe:

2-4 catcher's mitts
2 arms cradling the ball (or two properly scaled footballs for adding underarm)

and that's about it.

I'd pay good money for this.

Alternatively, I really like the idea (I don't remember which company it's from) of doing the race specific conversion kits for use with a particular GW plastic kit... I can really see this working out.

I'm just going to have to learn to sculpt, aren't I?
:lol:

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

Shteve0 wrote:Just a thought... I'd probably buy the shoulder pads if he wanted to sell some of those. Looks like he's cast a few up to do this sculpting, if there are any left over (or you fancy casting them as a conversion pack yourself), then count me in.

I personally like converting plastics to teams, but there are one or two things that just don't seem to be available on the market seperately. Ideally I'd like to see a general kit available for converting plastics; and if I were to put it together, I'd say something like:

12-16 shoulder pads (like the ones cast up here)
2 thrower arms/hands with ball attached

and as a maybe:

2-4 catcher's mitts
2 arms cradling the ball (or two properly scaled footballs for adding underarm)

and that's about it.

I'd pay good money for this.

Alternatively, I really like the idea (I don't remember which company it's from) of doing the race specific conversion kits for use with a particular GW plastic kit... I can really see this working out.

I'm just going to have to learn to sculpt, aren't I?
:lol:
Not a bad idea. And yes we are working on special sprues just with pads and accessories.

I am doing the master molds for the rats now. I will make sure to make separate sprues of accessories also available :)

MyKi#1
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MyKi#1 »

ANy more news on these Chris?
I would like to see some more pics, i like them.

MyKi

Back 2 Back Ausbowl Wooden Spooner!
rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

MyKi#1 wrote:ANy more news on these Chris?

MyKi
II am working at the mold for the masters now. Hope to see them soon. The precedence now goes to a Halloween special team the Holloween's :D a micro horror team, biggest player is 6 or 7 mm hihg, most in the range of 5mm..... bit with lots of details :)

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I like a lot of them, but I probably would only buy them on a onesy-twosy basis to supplement a Citadel rat squad. If I had an absolute no-Citadel policy I'd be very excited.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

rolljordan wrote:

MyKi
II am working at the mold for the masters now. Hope to see them soon. The precedence now goes to a Halloween special team the Holloween's :D a micro horror team, biggest player is 6 or 7 mm hihg, most in the range of 5mm..... bit with lots of details :)
Not the Halloweenies?

:D

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
rolljordan

Post by rolljordan »

Shteve0 wrote:
rolljordan wrote:

MyKi
Not the Halloweenies?

:D
:D Holloweenies 8) these where done by a friend who has lost his job. While looking for a new one he saw our stuff and decided to try sculpting something, so we suggested a Halloween themed team... with small pieces (they are tiny believe me) I counted 20 pieces all different. Took him 2 weeks to sculpt.

They will come out soon. Probably a limited edition team. We are unsure yet. And all the revenue after deducting cost and taxes will go to him to help with his family.

The crisis hit us pretty bad in this area, and with all the Chinese plants opening all the work got shifted to them. He was working as a craftsman making leather couches, just got married a few years ago, and 5 months after his baby was born the plant has shut down :( so we are doing everything we can do to help him. You will see he is quite skilled.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

well, chris, i like thses rats alot. i would buy them just to have a different take on this type of race/team.
aand btw, who sez rats have to be fast? i once sawe a collage room mate feed his snake a rat once 8) and the rat was'nt fast enough :cry:

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: ROLLJORDAN - Spiked Rats WIP Updated 09/17/09

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Does anyone own a full team of these Spiked Rats from Virus that they would care to sell me?

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Just wanted to ask again if anyone owns the team that would like to sell it?

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Not to resurect an old thread, but I quite liked these fat rats.

Where the ever cast and produced?

Rick Sanchez lives!