ROLLJORDAN - Spiked Rats WIP Updated 09/17/09

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: ROLLJORDAN - Spiked Rats WIP Updated 09/17/09

Post by GalakStarscraper »

bound for glory wrote:Not to resurect an old thread, but I quite liked these fat rats.

Where the ever cast and produced?
They were cast and produced by Rolljordan but just a very limited number of them were made.

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Did you get a couple sets, Tom?

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

bound for glory wrote:Did you get a couple sets, Tom?
Nope that was why I was trying to get one. Now that I'm working with Rolljordan we were looking at converting them to resin in the future and we are both trying to get our hands on a full team.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

See? This is what I don't understand:? Why are these being reworked in resin?

Can people not afford them in metal, or is it that producers don't want to take a slight pay cut and sell the figures in the wanted metal?

Honest question, here.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Impact seem to be positioning themselves as the "discount" FF manufacturer, and using Trollcast is the key to that.

Some consumers prefer resin, though. I'm doing my best to pass on metal teams for the foreseeable future.

Regash

Post by Regash »

I honestly prefer plastics too. They're lighter and don't chip that easy.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Oh, I PREFER plastic, but besides GW, thats rare. Plastic is super easy to work with, does'nt chip if cover correctly, and for conversions(again, with GW plastic stuff) it can't be beat.

Having said all that, I like the "feel" of a metal figure. Its like a chess piece.

Rick Sanchez lives!
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

bound for glory wrote:See? This is what I don't understand:? Why are these being reworked in resin?

Can people not afford them in metal, or is it that producers don't want to take a slight pay cut and sell the figures in the wanted metal?

Honest question, here.
I think it has to do with tooling. Reproducing highly detailed molds for resin is easier because the mold material does not need to stand up against repeated high temperatures of metal casting and do not need to be tooled to prevent warping that they would if the manufacturer cut corners somewhere.

With resin the operating temperatures are much lower. Molds do not experience the stress of being heated up from the inside and cooled from the outside, so recreating metal miniatures in resin is more plausible then recreating them in metal if one wants to deliver a highly detailed piece.

Personally I also prefer metal for my Bloodbowl teams, as well as for converting. I just have more experience working with metal miniatures. But I understand why these can not be recreated in metal without a considerable loss of detail, unless the original master casts turn up.

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
molten
Veteran
Veteran

Post by molten »

bound for glory wrote:See? This is what I don't understand:? Why are these being reworked in resin?

Honest question, here.
Honest question :D the metal team is quite heavy and the MRSP will be a bit prohibitive. We only use 100% lead free metal (we started in Jan 2016) to meet EU regulations and this has a cost of 2.5/3x the cost of the most common metal used from other manufacturers.

Good news is that we will have the masters for the new production done by Impact.

molten
Veteran
Veteran

Post by molten »

the solitaire wrote:

Honest question, here.
I think it has to do with tooling. Reproducing highly detailed molds for resin is easier because the mold material does not need to stand up against repeated high temperatures of metal casting and do not need to be tooled to prevent warping that they would if the manufacturer cut corners somewhere.

With resin the operating temperatures are much lower. Molds do not experience the stress of being heated up from the inside and cooled from the outside, so recreating metal miniatures in resin is more plausible then recreating them in metal if one wants to deliver a highly detailed piece.

Personally I also prefer metal for my Bloodbowl teams, as well as for converting. I just have more experience working with metal miniatures. But I understand why these can not be recreated in metal without a considerable loss of detail, unless the original master casts turn up.
No tooling is about the is not the issue, the actual models are already cut for metal casting. And metal molds will stand 200 to 500 spins where resin will last 20 to 40 max casts.
And yes we got the masters 8)