Dungeonbowl Project

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Dungeonbowl Project

Post by yggdrasil »

Dungeonbowl Project (Astrogranite Edition)

Introduction: This is a revised edition of the original first post in this thread from 2011. Originally, this post was just explaining that I was working on a cardboard dungeon and a couple of teams, along with a picture of three plastic Doom Forger dwarfs. The project has been moving along steadily since then, and it now has become so extensive that it makes more sense to use this first post to show off some compilation shots.

Premise: This project is about building a bunch of cardboard dungeon section to play Dungeonbowl on, writing an interesting set of Dungeonbowl rules, and of course, getting and painting sufficient models to represent all of the ten teams that were presented int the original 1989 Dungeonbowl boxed game: The Doom Forgers, the Grim Reapers, the Grey Shadows, the War Hawks, the Green Destroyers, the Blood Axes, the Storm Bolts, the Celestial Comets and the Harlequins. (in order of personal selection)

This thread is about documenting that project, which also includes some extra teams on top of the original ten (possibly another set of ten teams if I want to just keep going). The following pictures are full (or almost full) team shots of those teams that are completed (or nearly so), and the list will be updated as new ones are finished.

Doom Forgers

Grim Reapers

Grey Shadows

War Hawks

Green Destroyers

Blood Axes

Black Widows

Original first post:

Hello all, this is my first thread here so please be gentle. 8)

A few days ago I decided to revisit a very old project of mine, of building a nice cardboard Dungeonbowl dungeon and several teams to go with it. To keep myself motivated, I find that having logs like these on forums helps, since it means that when I finish something I get the pleasure of taking pics and posting them. :)

The first part of the project is a Doom Forgers team, with plastic DB dwarfs, metal halflings and a converted werewolf. This is what the first couple of test models look like - they still need logos - with the type of tile work that the dungeon is to be made up of as the background. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Reason: ''
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Re: Dungeonbowl Project

Post by firebreather »

Sounds like a big project, look forward to seeing what you do with the dungeon itself, a good start made with the figures imo, ive tried to paint a dwarf team in similar colours to that and it looked terrible, whites a suprisingly difficult colour to paint :roll:

one question thought, why does a dwarf need shades in a dungeon? :wink:

axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see the finished Doom Forgers team - how do you plan to represent them list-wise? Does each squad get a free wizard? ;)

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thanks guys! The shades are a good point, they are actually meant to be eye guards like you might find on roman or viking helmets, and I was going to paint them silver but then thought the black look was kinda cool. Now he's just wearing them to look stylish. :wink:

The dungeon will be pretty basic, with cardboard squares glued to cardboard dungeon sections. I'll take some pics later.

List-wise, for this team, I ended up with 4 halflings, 4 longbeards, 2 runners, 2 dwarf blitzers and one norse blitzer to represent the werewolf. Despite the original team having "real" werewolves as the tertiary race, I think Norse fit better so that's what I've gone with in my DB team building house rules. If anyone is interested, I can post these up at some point. I wasn't planning to go with the free wizard thing. :)

Anyway, I finished painting team symbols on these guys a few minutes ago, which look like this.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

As promised, here is how the dungeon currently looks, or at least a part of it. It would be great to make a really fancy one, with foamboard and 3D features and such, but since I'll have to carry it around a lot and I have limited time in which to work on my hobby, I'm going for simple, quick and decent-looking.

The pic also features some WIP Grim Reapers.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

It looks great. What else do you have planned?

3D teleporter pads and cases shouldn't be an issue. Impact do some great chests.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

nazgob wrote:It looks great. What else do you have planned?

3D teleporter pads and cases shouldn't be an issue. Impact do some great chests.
Thanks!

Interesting - when you say shouldn't be an issue, do you mean they shouldn't be hard to make? I suppose you're right, I'd not really thought about it but I suppose it shouldn't be that difficult. I'll remember to check for those chests once everything is nearing completing, proper chests would look really nice.

Other than the dungeon and the Doom Forgers team, I am planning to make a Grim Reapers team as briefly glimpsed above. I have enough spare 2nd ed skaven for it, but I don't have any 2nd ed goblins so I'm going to just use plastic warhammer ones, and the minotaurs will be converted too. Finally, I want to also build a Grey Shadows and a War Hawks team, to have four teams in total. Both of these last teams will be a mix of 2nd ed and 3rd ed updated team lists, so the Hawks will be orcs, chaos dwarfs and an ogre, and the Shadows will be an ogre, chaos humans and snotlings. I've got most of the miniatures for all these teams, all I need are two more chaos humans and all the big guys. I'm planning to buy a box of ogre bulls and use them to make both the minotaurs and ogres for the teams.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

have fun with the project! i,ve been wanting to put a dungeon type game set up togeather for years...but i want to use plaster game tiles and they aint cheep...

Rick Sanchez lives!
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I always thought Hirst Arts molds would make an awesome dungeon bowl pitch.

http://www.hirstarts.com/

Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

I really like your dwarfs, those guys look dangerous :D

Death to the high elves. Dark Elves prevail!!!
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I meant that the chests and teleporter pads could easily be 3D and simple to transport.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

the hirst arts tiles are what i had in mind. they would look great, imo. the price is kinda high, tho. in the end i'll do it with left over card board and whatever else is on hand. done over a weekend. :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

another option for floor tiles in downloadable pdf, you'd probably want to cut some appropriate foam core to mount them though so perhaps not less work, but certainly less painting....

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/in ... cts_id=308

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thanks for the ideas! I'll stick with cardboard for now, but I'll definitely keep thinking about ways to jazz the dungeon up once the tiles are done.

van der vaart
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by van der vaart »

Looks cool! Looking forward to seeing it all finished! Dungeonbowl is a heck of a lot of fun to play!

Commish of the Geelong And Regions Blood Bowl League;GARBBL!
Check us out at http://geelong.bloodbowlleague.com or Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/GARBBL
I have a blog! http://nubs11.blog.com/