GoblinGuild Miniatures

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: GoblinGuild Miniatures

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:Sharing data on people without authorisation in never "minor".
Thank you.
I know the "generation facebook" has less concerns about their personal data than I do.
I've got a reply to my e-mail saying sorry but no info on how my e-mail got into their hands.
howlinggriffon wrote:I supported the Goblin team from Willy Miniatures and also bought some of the matching minis from GoblinGuild at the same time. Everything came delivered in the same box so I believe they are connected in some way.
I never did any business with Willy, so they can't be the culprit either...

Reason: ''
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

maybe things are different on this side of the pond, but for as long as i have been using email, my email address has ended up on various mailing lists. it's pretty much a fact of life in the US so it doesn't bother me. i actually have an email address specifically for such things as backing campaigns, and joining forums specifically for that reason. it doesn't really bother me as it is easy to remove my name from a mailing list, or short of that, block the sender.
i got an email from Goblin Guild, but i also asked to be notified when the Drunken Dwarf mini was available, so i couldn't say if i ended up on a mailing list from that, or from one of the campaigns i recently backed.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

chou
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chou »

Hi guys,

I don't know if you have received the explanations you wanted via mail, but just wanted to let you know that I've spoken with Rick from Igon Golems and they gave me sound explanations that at least me left me no doubt they weren't involved. In any case I asked several users who only participated in the Iron Golems and Hungry Troll campaigns and they didn't get any mail.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Nope, I did get an e-mail with an apology but no info about where they got my e-mail adress.
I did answer that e-mail with asking again but no answer yet.
Very poor behavior if you ask me.

Iron Golems may or may not be involved, this doesn't make me any more comfortable with giving my data to any kind of project.

Mouk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mouk »

I also got an e-mail from GoblinGuild Miniatures, and I was about to buy the drunken dwarf and to be a "Guilder" when I saw on facebook Hungry Troll's answer and I got here. I had thought it was strange that I got that e-mail, as the adress it was sent to wasn't related to any public profile (it's the one that I used in the Iron Golems and Hungry Troll campaigns though). I trust Iron Golems and Hungry Troll's way of dealing with private information.

I asked GoblinGuild Miniatures about how did they get my adress in the spanish forum, and also sent him an e-mail with that same question. There's no answer in the forum, but after some days he replied to me directly: an acquaintance of his gave him my adress, thinking I would be interested in his products. I've already asked him who this acquaintance is, but he hasn't replied yet.

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Presumably another company who has all our email addresses would be Indiegogo?

Is it worth looking in their direction?

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

I am not going to call a name now but I had a similar discussion with a producer some time ago. The guy's only wrongdoing was that he sent out emails regarding the campaign to an open recipient list rather than to a BCC-distribution list. It is usually simple things like that, you do not have to think as far as hacking.

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Yeah it can easily have been an honest mistake by someone.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Incidentally, just to muddy the waters, I bought Iron Golem's team off Indiegogo and have used Hungry Troll (although not for the ogres) and I don't have an email from GoblinGuild....so hopefully that means they may not be the source?

Also worth noting that I have nothing but good things to say about either of those two companies and would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Regash

Post by Regash »

Madsherman wrote:Yeah it can easily have been an honest mistake by someone.
Maybe...
But that is no excuse for USING this information.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

Regash wrote:
Madsherman wrote:Yeah it can easily have been an honest mistake by someone.
Maybe...
But that is no excuse for USING this information.
i think the point is simply that while Goblin Guild apparently used email addresses that they did not legitimately come by, there is no evidence to suggest that any of the other indie companies were complicit in anything shady. therefore, while you may choose to boycott GG, there is currently no legitimate reason to refuse to do business with anyone else.

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

To be honest I don't really care how the e-mail addresses were obtained.

What's important to me is to make it clear that if you use illegal activities to market your product, you shouldn't expect any business from me.

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

maybe this is how Goblin Guild got email addresses for people who never signed up for anything from them.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=20&t=42258
not saying that it's ok, just saying again that maybe no one else was involved.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Nope, that isn't it as my address is on the league locator.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

well, there you go. it was just a thought.