Base ring tutorial

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Base ring tutorial

Post by horekim »

Hi everyone.

I often get asked how I paint the base rings on my Blood Bowl miniatures. Up until now I have always done them in freehand, but in the future I will be doing them a little different.

For those interested I wrote up a tutorial on my blog: http://leadunderthebed.blogspot.dk/2014 ... rings.html

Reason: ''
Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: Base ring tutorial

Post by daloonieshaman »

cool
what about a single item that can score both lines at the same time and get the same cut on all the bases
(a staple remover is to wide I checked)

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I do similar bases on mine, but I paint the bases in the ring color, then use a Sharpie in a similar way to how you use the knife to color the black lines.

I'll definitely try your way to see if my brush control is good enough with the cuts, as the Sharpie bleeds a little when I spray-fix the minis!

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Thanks for sharing great results and a technique I would not have considered.

ImageImage
traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

Thx for sharing this technic!
I alway wanted to paint a Strip, too, but i was more thinking about masking the base ...
...your way seems much more easy! :D

Traveller

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

@puzzlemonkey

Your base looks great. I actually tried something similar once, but I couldn't get it to work. I found it hard to clean up mistakes. If it works for you that's great

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

horekim, I haven't tried this out, but I can imagine a similar method that doesn't involve scoring the actual base.

Step 1: Paint the edge of your base in your preferred base ring colour.
Step 2: Tape the edge of your base using the masking tape many painters use when masking off areas when airbrushing (it's a special type of tape that stops paint from bleeding through, so you maintain a sharp edge where the 2 colours meet).
Step 3: Cut the tape at the top and bottom, using the same method you use for scoring the base.
Step 4: Remove tape from the top and bottom of the base, leaving a thin strip of tape around the middle of the base.
Step 5: Paint the top and bottom of the base in your preferred colour (e.g. black so that it contrasts with the base ring colour). The tape will ensure you get a straight edge and protect the base ring colour, so you don't have to be super careful when applying the paint at this stage.
Step 6: Allow paint to dry.
Step 7: Remove the tape around the middle of your base.

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

@Olaf the Stout
An interesting approach. Let us know if you try it out.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

horekim wrote:@Olaf the Stout
An interesting approach. Let us know if you try it out.
Just a slight adaption of your method really.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Interesting idea and interesting mod, one that erhaps could be done more easily for existing models with bases attached?

Currently I have the old 2nd ed solid base ring of colour, but this does look a bit sharper.

Wondering both how to do this in a a fixed set up allowing the mass production of scored bases :) and how to make a easy to stick on masking tape solution on a curved base.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

In my overblown opinion ....
If we could find an item that will do both scores at the same time it should be good for all but the damdest fools and you will be able to do current mounted models.
I did discover a problem with the RC tape
It did not appear to be able to handle the slope and the curve and I am not anal enough to line up the joint once I get all the way around
may i do not have enough patience for the tape method.

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I've also thought about doing a "reservoir" method where I paint the base ring color, then simply fill a shallow pan with a line-width of paint and place the bases in it, then carefully pull them out.

I have only thought about it for the obvious potentially-disastrous control reasons. And of course, you could only do it with bases that had no figs on them yet. But I wouldn't try any of these techniques with models on the bases. Because I'm a coward.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

puzzlemonkey wrote:I've also thought about doing a "reservoir" method where I paint the base ring color, then simply fill a shallow pan with a line-width of paint and place the bases in it, then carefully pull them out.

I have only thought about it for the obvious potentially-disastrous control reasons. And of course, you could only do it with bases that had no figs on them yet. But I wouldn't try any of these techniques with models on the bases. Because I'm a coward.
Hah! That's a great idea! I doubt that it would actually work, but I like your thinking :)

Lots of great ideas so far. Keep them coming.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Two scores at the same time is "easy". Get two blades and two parts of plastic so you can do a weird sandwich: plastic 1, blade, plastic 2, blade. Then hold this with a clamp near the edge of a table, plastic 1 touching the table. Varying the thickness of plastic 1 and 2 you control where the line appears (remember blades add a bit).

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

That's a really neat trick, thanks for sharing!
:)