New Slann miniatures project?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Would you be interested in a high quality team of Slann miniatures?

A) Yes. Sounds ace.
84%
B) No. Naff off.
10%
C) I would rather have somebody create... (List preferred team below)
6%

Total votes: 169

JonnyKanone
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New Slann miniatures project?

Post by JonnyKanone »

Looks nice. Keep going! :D

Reason: ''
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

It can be nice, and useful, to get feedback on creative projects, but ultimately, a democratic approach almost always leads to watered-down, visionless art. Or, as one of my colleagues once said, "that's how they invented beige."

Let your vision, and Pedro's be your guide, and I'll look forward to the results!

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Wifflebat wrote:It can be nice, and useful, to get feedback on creative projects, but ultimately, a democratic approach almost always leads to watered-down, visionless art. Or, as one of my colleagues once said, "that's how they invented beige."
Thanks for your kind words mate... One of my favourite sayings is "A camel is a horse designed by committee"

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Hung Donkeyman wrote:That concept is amazing , exactly what I would want for a Slann team
Me too :orc:

I'm a massive fan of the subtle shoulder spikes and knuckle dusters. Is it just me or is it getting hot in here...?

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
cdwat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cdwat »

Darkson wrote:Would have preferred a more "skinnier" look, a la 2nd ed, but the sketch still looks like it's going to be better than any other Slann on the market atm.
This about sums it up for me.

Maybe if they were even just a little bit skinnier. Smaller head, or not quite so sunken?

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I could imagine that PR and J_Bone did some research about existing Slann teams out there.
That skinnier look you all ask for would make this team look like any other team out there, even those converted from Kroot.

I really like the froggy approach and the players to be a bit more massiv.

Go, go, J-Bone, go! Image

I really hope this flag isn't offensive in any way...

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I like the solid-looking frog in your illustration. Most Slann are ST3 and a lot of ST3 players are heavily muscled.

What I'm looking for most is different positions looking different from each other. The guy who plays Slann in our league is constantly being interrupted by people asking where the blitzers are, is that a lineman or a catcher, etc etc.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Regash wrote:I could imagine that PR and J_Bone did some research about existing Slann teams out there.
That skinnier look you all ask for would make this team look like any other team out there, even those converted from Kroot.
Yes... Pedro and I have been considering what is currently out there on the market while developing the look of the team. If the head was smaller they'd look more like Rolljordan's than I'd prefer, if they were skinnier they would look less ST3 and more like the Kroot conversions people do, if they move much further towards that 2nd ed pic they'd look a lot like Impact's trollcast team... It's tough and there will always be some that would like things changed up.

I am doing my best to make the team look individual with inspiration coming heavily from 2nd ed Blood Bowl and an emphasis on clear positionals. That is essentially my design remit.

Beardman.
sydo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sydo »

The 2nd edition style is apparent in the sketch - the position of the arms, the clenched fists, it looks like it is some lost GW concept from the 80s (I mean that in a good way). I would say you succeeded greatly in capturing the feel of the 2nd edition. I am really looking forward to see the other concepts, it looks perfect so far!

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Yep its perfect, love the 2ed look. Is that a linefrog then ? Makes me want to release my tadpoles if you know what I'm saying :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Sorry, yes... I didn't realise I left out what position it was! I have gone back and edited it to say THE LINEFROG :)

Beardman.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

you have a winner there, mate. :D :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

el Superbeasto wrote:Here I was hoping for something more oldskool like the previously mentioned:

Hopefully the Calasain team will be out in another 5 weeks. They were designed based on specifically that image. So I could understand J_Bone going for something a bit different as that look was something already pursued.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
SlannMann
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SlannMann »

I have been dying for a Slann team like this for ages. I love the look of his body, arms and legs. Really liking the emphasis on those froggy toe pads! I would be happy with his head if that how it finishes up.

I have never been a fan of the Rolljordan frogs. I'm not a fan of the linefrog shoulder pads, the primitive loin cloth/ bones wrapped to their arms look and their faces just don't look that frog like to me. But that's just my opinion and each to their own. For my team I use Gaspez Arts linefrogs with converted 80's GW Slann for my catchers and blitzers (with Impact Miniature's Calasain shoulder pads).

J_Bone, for me (hopeful hint hint! :D :wink: ), I imagine catchers to be like Red-eyed tree frogs and Flying frogs as they are slim fragile frogs (ST 2, AV 7) with long limbs (2+ leap/ MV 7) and massively webbed feet (natural base ball-style catchers mit!)

SlannMann
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SlannMann »

Here are my 1980's catchers and blitzers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.