Age of Sigmar conversion team

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Age of Sigmar conversion team

Post by Twelfman »

They said it couldn't be done! They said the models were too large, the bases too huge, the poses too awkward!

Well, maybe they were right.

Either way, I'm currently working on a Chaos/Nurgle team using a bunch of models, specifically the Stormcast Eternals, as Chaos Warriors.

I thought it might be fun to blog the progress that I make, both for posterity and so I can show these nay-sayers that anything is possible!

---

DAY ONE

So I received my chaps today, and there are a few snags that are obvious from the start.

1. Their shields are hooge, and are fused with the arm.
2. Their bases are also huge.

Still, all is not lost! some of the models don't actually have shields, and instead have these great whacking two handed hamemrs. These seem like a prime target for conversion.

I snip the weapons off of them and here they are.

Its worth stating that some of the weapons have ribbons or other accoutrements, be aware these are often fused with the arms or legs.

I used green stuff to add a few tentacles and whatnot. Can't have them all shiny and polished, can I?

I only had 3 of these guys, so I needed to try my hand at shield-trimming. I chose this guy:

and, with care, it seemed to work. I fished out an old Minotaur that I'd tentacled up and some Kings of War ghouls to use as rotters.

So far so good!

The fella with the shield had a bit of mess on his shield forearm, so I used green stuff and a spike off an old chaos land raider to give him a punching spike. I also made his other hand a tentacle, as it looked unusual in the pose it was in. I realise I don't have a picture of him alone, for some reason, so I'll update with one once his tentacle arm has set. He's currently lying in a very strange pose with some halflings holding up his arm.

Now, the bases...

After a fair bit of experimentation, I reckon the drone flying bases from 40k are perfect. Not too small that the model looks weird, and not bigger than a BB square (just!).

I contemplated having it round-side down. It would be easier to stick the now baseless sigmarites on them, plus swivelling and moving might be smoother, but opted for the round side up in the end.

He's using Blue Tac at the mo. Once I get enough bases I'll stick them all onto them. I can't decide whether I want to leave them clear or not...

---

Anyway, that's all for this update. I'll post another when the next load of bases arrive!

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Age of Sigmar conversion team

Post by frogboy »

Once there off the bases there almost a perfect fit, nice one

You can get good value bases from http://war-bases.co.uk the 30 and 40mm ones are a nice fit for bloodbowl.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Impact do 30mm bases - I'd swear by them.

Nice work!

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

frogboy wrote:Once there off the bases there almost a perfect fit, nice one

You can get good value bases from http://war-bases.co.uk the 30 and 40mm ones are a nice fit for bloodbowl.
Shteve0 wrote:Impact do 30mm bases - I'd swear by them.
Thanks guys. I did buy some 30mm bases on your advice from war-bases in the end, got some 25mm ones too. They're in the post as I type this!

I've ordered some Gors from amazon, as I realised I didn't have any Pestigors.

I'm using some Mantic ghouls as my rotters. More detail on them later.

and I'm converting a Minotaur into a beast. That way I can use these as a Chaos team and as a Nurgle team. Woohoo!

Here are a few more pictures of my tentacle armed fella to keep you all going. I know how eager you're all frantically mashing F5 to see updates! Maybe. A bit. Ish.

I am not an expert with Green Stuff, though I doubt you needed me to say that.

So, bases and Beastmen in the post. Updates soon...

nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

Nice work! The great thing about Chaos is you can slap some shoddy green stuff on them, and if your opponent questions you, just go, "meh, mutations! Chaos! Blood for the BLOOD GOD!!".

Those Age of Sigmar guys make pretty good Chaos Warriors too.

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I love those mantic ghouls. I use mine as ... ghouls :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Pestigors next. The set of Beastmen Gors arrived, so I got to building.

No self respecting Nurgle Pestigor would turn up without at least some mutation or other, so after a few hours, some green stuff and some little metal rods I made these:

The 'normal' pestigor. Skull for a head and a worm for an eye.

The Extra Arms pesti.

The Two Heads pesti. (minor superglue accident, hopefully will be able to cover it up with Nurgley goodness.)

And lastly the Claw (pomb?) pesti.

I'll get these primed soon and will post updates on the whole project!

Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

nice conversions!

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Looking forward to seeing the whole team painted up :)

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

Creating conversion teams is absolutely not for me - but I have nothing but respect and admiration for people like you who put this much creativity and effort into a new team. Good stuff!!! :)

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

didn't notice the mino before now.. Where's tht from? I don't want to put it down, but it kind of sticks out in a bad way IMO.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

thank you for all the kind words!
Madsherman wrote:didn't notice the mino before now.. Where's tht from? I don't want to put it down, but it kind of sticks out in a bad way IMO.
I agree! I won him as a spot prize at a tournament, so he's kind of a filler beast st the moment. The plan was to convert him to shit to make him more nurgley, but is goofiness is hard to quash!

I think I'll either buy a dedicated beast or convert some other big fella.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It's a mino from, iirc, a French coach going by the name of Fondu, and it was designed to be humorous rather than "realistic", fits right in with the other sculpts he did around the same time: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20678
I've got one somewhere.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Update again!

I've taken on board all of your CRUEL CRITICISMS sob about the beast looking out of place, and I agree.

So, I've decided I needed a new angle. I can't remember exactly where the idea came to me, but I was inspired to create a Beast of Nurgle out of lots of little beasts of nurgle. Specifically, the Nurglings models.

The idea will be to pile them up high, higher than they normally go, with tentacles etc poking out of various cracks and crevices to insinuate that there's something lurking inside the blob of nurglings...

With that in mind I set out having a build.

Having stuck the conventinal three rows together, it didn't quite work. Yet. The Sigmarite warriors were still bigger than the beast, and that simply wouldn't do...

I snipped out the individual nurglings and started balancing them on top, sticking them in tight when they found a good spot. I then stuck a hefty amount of Green Stuff in some of the cracks to stop the light peeping through some of the bigger gaps. After that, a few tentacles sealed the deal.

Some of the tentacles are Green Stuff and some are the horns from a standard, either Skaven or Beastmen I can't remember.

Here he is!

And here he is next to a warrior:

Much better. He's actually fairly huge.

Oh, I did save one nurgling for a marker for the beast. Lookit him! Isn't he cute?

Next step, the actual painting...

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Good man! Great Idea! Those nurglings look amazing!!.. would also be awesome for an Ogre team!