Norse sadly presents...

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Norse
Da Organiza

Norse sadly presents...

Post by Norse »

a few years ago I joined an excellent Cyanide BB league, the OFL (http://www.oldworldfootball.com/) and over the last few years I have tried to remind many of the coaches there of the TT roots of the "video" game they play each week. In 2014, in order to thank the league Commish for all the work he puts in, I worked with Rafael at RNEstudios to create a Minotaur mini, Mulcana, for the Commish (Thul) which seemed to go down very well - 40 of the guys in the league bought a copy.

So last year, when I heard that one of the coaches in the league (Trickice) had been diagnosed with cancer, I approached Rafael again to create that coach's favorite mini - a Wight called Boneyard. Boneyard's career defining moment came in a game vs Zons, where the MB/Tackle/Guard Wight dodged out to blitz the Amazon star thrower, Pookums. The result of the blitz was a dead Pookums, as well as Boneyard scooping up the ball on the same play and running it in for a TD - so we tried to get the mini to reflect that specific play and I think Rafael did an outstanding job. Trickice worked with me and Rafael and approved the final version which went to print.

Sadly, the Trickster lost his battle with cancer a few months back. :cry: I had promised to paint the mini up for him, but with no-one to send it to I lost all interest. In truth, I lost all interest in painting for a long time, not least of all because Trick was the same age as me and left behind 3 kids and a widow. I couldn't bear to paint the wight, and I couldn't bear to paint anything else, as it felt like I wasn't keeping my word either.

A few weeks back, Trick's widow reached out stating that she would very much like to receive the mini, so with renewed vigor I set to work. The team colors were black and blue, so I had little scope for too much creativity. At the same time, Trick was from Detroit originally and his facebook picture was the famous "D" that symbolizes the Detroit Tigers, so I tried a little freehand on the cloak. Not my best work sadly, but the only mini I have painted in about 12 months now. Hope you like it.

Rest In Peace Trick, miss you man! :cry:

PS the apparent white on Pookums face in the second shot is just light reflecting off the gloss varnish where I wanted the blood to look wet. Honest.. :-?

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Norse sadly presents...

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Feeling with you. There is a German term of which I do no not know whether it translates at all: "Trauerarbeit", means approximately "The Work of Mourning" which is apparently the best thing you can do for the dead and the living (and in this case: the unliving)

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Beautiful and sad :(

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
sokomano
Experienced
Experienced

Post by sokomano »

So sad
RIP

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

Sad story, man.

Great figure though

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Thanks guys. I must admit, the irony of painting an undead mini (who played for a team called the Reapers) for a recently deceased friend was not lost on me. At times I thought it was too close to the bone (pun intended), until a mutual friend pointed out that Trick would be laughing about the irony himself.

I have not heard the term Trauerarbeit, but I will confess I found this difficult process very cathartic. I have now resolved to clean my painting area (which is covered in dust after months of neglect), throw out my old dried up paints and crappy brushes (does anyone else have difficulty throwing out old paints, as though they will somehow miraculously get better if you leave them? :roll: ) and try to start painting again. No idea what I'll paint as I have so many unfinished projects, but I'm looking forward to getting back to it for sure.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

The Wight looks beautiful.

I think it's a great tribute that you brought something new into the world and shared it in honor of your friend. So much information flies through, past, and over us every day that it can be easy to categorize and dismiss it immediately. A story like this reminds me that the Internet can connect us to people's real lives and that it's a good idea to stop and think, and send those thoughts out to each other as much as we can. My sympathies, and my applause for doing the painful Work of Mourning (what a great term).

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

No like button, so just...

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

very sad circumstances, but they brought about a great looking mini. thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

+1

GO STAMPEDERS!
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

Darkson wrote:No like button, so just...

+1

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Its a good story Ramsay and sorry to hear the events that created it.

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Sorry for you and the family. Glad the widow's request was able to help you get back to painting. I look forward to seeing many more "Norse ____ Presents" in the future.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

This is a beautiful story. Sad, but made me feel good inside.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Darkson wrote:No like button, so just...

Very much +2. :(

Rick Sanchez lives!