UK paint suppliers

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GutRot81
Experienced
Experienced

UK paint suppliers

Post by GutRot81 »

Hi guys, getting back in TT and purchased the black scorpion elf team to get me going.

I've not painted in 20 years and was awful then. Where is best to get paints/brushes that don't cost the earth. You can't polish a turd guys so I'm not after top end stuff.

Reason: ''
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: UK paint suppliers

Post by harvestmouse »

They maybe old hat now, but these are excellent value for money. They are the ex GW paints from 20 years ago (GW changed manufacturers).

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat-darms/

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I use Vallejo game color paints, and find them very competitive both on price and quality:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/g ... /family/18

They're not UK based, they're in Spain I think, but I can't imagine that your local hobby shop doesn't carry them.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

+1 on Vallejo. Either game color or model color available from model or game stores near you

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
GutRot81
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GutRot81 »

Cheers folks

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

To feedback on this. I would say Vallejo are better than well........better than anything actually. However from your criteria Cote d'Arms sounds to me like what you are looking for. I think they're half the price of Vallejo paints and they do a good job.

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Gutrot, I recently got back from a painting hiatus and had to replace some paints. Another nice bonus on the new range of Vallejo game color paints is that they, unlike their older paints, smell like bubblegum :D

My girlfriend hates the new smell. I think it's better then out-of-date Rembrandt acrylics which smells like rotten eggs.

For the cost of Vallejo I would not pick up any other brand, regardless of, or maybe because of the skill level you mention. Better paints offer better coverage, even when watered down. Cheap paints tend to clump and run and cause unnecessary frustration. Just treat yourself on the Vallejo colors you need and enjoy painting.

I can also recommend to pick up some of the Vallejo game color inks, Vallejo smoke, brown and Sepia Ink and one pot of Games Workshop Ogryn Flesh Wash.

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

In Vallejo ranges, avoid the metallics from Model Color, go with Model Air or Game Air ones if you can. The pigment is thinner for airbrush, but works with hairy sticks too (dry brushing may be tricky, but great for base coat and painted shading). Metal Color or some other weird name are airbrush only, ignore them. Vallejo needs to work on naming rules, problably too late as they have many ranges and new ones just increase the mind twist. :(

Price is in same range, not double. Checking a webshop I see RRPs currently go from 2 to 2.30 pounds for Coat, P3, AP (useful too, specially if you need to copy a recipe with GW washes of some years ago like Devlan Mud) and Vallejo, and IIRC all them are 17-20 ml bottles/pots that close nicely. GW is the one asking 2.55 for 12 ml in "not so good seal" pots.