Cheaper 3rd party teams?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Cheaper 3rd party teams with less players and variations?

Heck yes! I want ALL THE TEAMS!
31%
Nope. I love the variation, and my budget allows for me to spend the money.
69%

Total votes: 29

Brage97
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Cheaper 3rd party teams?

Post by Brage97 »

Norse wrote:it's sad that the influx of oversized miniatures (largely from independent Spanish sculptors/companies) have resulted in correctly sized BB minis being perceived as "too small".

2nd ed minis now look ridiculous on the same pitch as more recent sculpts... :blue:

Agreed! I also prefer the scale that was before :(

Reason: ''
TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

I can't stand the scale creep. ( It really, really bothers the hell out of me... )

I'm still going to use the original scale minis. When more people start drinking the larger scale mini Kool Aid, I'll be picking up lots of 28mm minis for dirt cheap because there will be tons of people up sizing their collections. :-D
I hope so, anyway. Either way, the mini sizes will go whichever way they go. I'm more worried about a rules f*ck up....

My .02...

Winning... it beats losing.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

What I find interesting is the companies that defend the larger scale tooth and nail, saying that this is the scale that people have told them they prefer.
From what I have seen, I don't think anyone "prefers" the larger scale. It seems to me that BB mini collectors fall into 2 general categories. Those that only want 28mm, and those that don't care about scale and will buy any minis that they think look cool. As such, I don't really understand why certain indie mini companies continue to make minis that immediately alienate a certain percentage of their target market, while the rest of the market doesn't appear to be alienated by 28mm minis.
If there are people who truly prefer larger scale minis, I would be interested to know that they actually exist.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

mikeyc222 wrote:
If there are people who truly prefer larger scale minis, I would be interested to know that they actually exist.
This.

I've heard a few people who like the look of the larger sculpts, but not if they PREFER the larger scale of the sculpts.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

And if those people do exist, then great. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, and I don't have a problem with people preferring that larger scale. It's just that I have never heard anyone say that they want bigger minis, and I'm curious.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I agree - there are many Willy miniatures (to name just one manufacturer) that I really like the look of, but I find the scale of the models just ridiculous, so I've spent my money elsewhere.
Played a game with GW humans against some Willy Undead and it flt like I was playing halflings (both in scale and with the result! ;) ).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

mikeyc222 wrote:And if those people do exist, then great. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, and I don't have a problem with people preferring that larger scale. It's just that I have never heard anyone say that they want bigger minis, and I'm curious.
I'm 100% in agreement with this and Darkson's post above.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Being honest, I really love a good looking team.
Does it look better if both teams on the board are in the same scale? Of course it does!
Do I mind if they're not? Not at all!

Although I haven't had time to build them yet, I do love my Willy Undead & Egyptian Undead.

But, I'll be honest, my heart really is attached to converted teams.
I've posted a couple of them in the "Show yer teams"-thread.
Chaos Dwarfs made from Chaos Warriors with shortened legs, or Chaos Warriors and Beastmen or even my box of Storm Vermin turned into a whole Skaven team... Awesome!

I don't mind miniatures to be out of scale a bit.
But do we need models so big we can't play them on the fields we have? Definitely not!

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

mmm

one thing I have a little issue with when it comes to scale is the 28mm heroic vs realistic.

i think most of us come from a era where BB was GW only and would like the newer minis to match these sorts of scales. I get a bit frustrated with minis when they dont have the same bulk and proportions as the GW ones.

Uber skinny wrists, legs, small hands and heads are definitely something that also puts me off teams no matter how beautiful (sadly see the SP woodies)

call me a scale snob but thats just the way it is.

oh and on 28 vs 32mm, I got the Willy Griff and good lord is he huge, he's about 90% the size of old Morg. I get the feeling i'd only paint him up as a set piece, not a player

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Kaiowas wrote:mmm

one thing I have a little issue with when it comes to scale is the 28mm heroic vs realistic.

i think most of us come from a era where BB was GW only and would like the newer minis to match these sorts of scales. I get a bit frustrated with minis when they dont have the same bulk and proportions as the GW ones.

Uber skinny wrists, legs, small hands and heads are definitely something that also puts me off teams no matter how beautiful (sadly see the SP woodies)

call me a scale snob but thats just the way it is.

oh and on 28 vs 32mm, I got the Willy Griff and good lord is he huge, he's about 90% the size of old Morg. I get the feeling i'd only paint him up as a set piece, not a player
All this.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

I absolutely love 28mm "heroic".

I was not a fan of the 5th Ed Humans and revisited star players. :/ I also wasn't too keen on the Pro-Elves, but I wasn't as against them as I was the others.

I love some of the sculpts out there - Willy is impressive. But yeah, that scale creep is really off-putting.

Co-Commissioner of the PBBL
Home to the School of Block
http://pbbl.uhearttrollgate.com