Cheaper 3rd party teams?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Cheaper 3rd party teams with less players and variations?

Heck yes! I want ALL THE TEAMS!
31%
Nope. I love the variation, and my budget allows for me to spend the money.
69%

Total votes: 29

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Cheaper 3rd party teams?

Post by Madsherman »

I do both actually :) But IMO the pose reads faster than the base.

Reason: ''
"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
JonnyKanone
Experienced
Experienced

Post by JonnyKanone »

Base ring colors are a great help, I agree with all of you. But the figure should represent the position clearly as well :wink:

The good thing about GW figures is that (from my experience) 80 to 100% percent of the NAF-listed coaches are familiar with these miniatures. ( In case of the second Ed. skaven it is probably less but they are still easy to identify IMO...) in case of some newer third party suppliers it might be more difficult. And if no base colors are used it becomes a mess :D

But please don't get me wrong, I am a fan of all miniatures with clear poses no matter who makes them... Probably I only try to encourage all the talented modelers out there to keep gamers demands in mind :)

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

JonnyKanone wrote:
The good thing about GW figures is that (from my experience) 80 to 100% percent of the NAF-listed coaches are familiar with these miniatures. ( In case of the second Ed. skaven it is probably less but they are still easy to identify IMO...) in case of some newer third party suppliers it might be more difficult. And if no base colors are used it becomes a mess :D
this is the crux of the issue, from my perspective. If the market had been Willy miniatures only for 15 years then we could definitely identify the positions on the teams they produce (just using as an example)

its just mental muscle memory flexing when we can tell the difference sometimes

ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

None of the above?

I buy them individually based on what I like about the team. I also tend to like the 3rd Ed GW teams. *shrug*

Co-Commissioner of the PBBL
Home to the School of Block
http://pbbl.uhearttrollgate.com
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

JonnyKanone wrote:
Darkson wrote:
JonnyKanone wrote:I like the old GW teams a lot. You can easily tell the positions within one second.
Amazons being the exception to the rule. ;)
Yes, GW amazons are a bit ... mhhhm ... not so easy to distinguish :lol:
If you ignore that one linewomen who is in the same position as the blitzers (or use it as a blitzer), then it's not really an issue.

dfunkateer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dfunkateer »

I'm somewhere between both options.

I think teams with every model in a different pose just look more interesting and I personally wouldn't buy a team that only had 1 generic pose for each position repeated several times, although I'd much rather pay less than GW charge for their models. Having mentioned GW though you certainly get what you pay for and I can't knock the quality of their recent sculpts especially when the new boxes for AoS have very few repeated poses, which I would expect is a precedent for the future of BB.

The best example of the above that I've bought recently is Impact's Sarcos team. $35 and each model is a different pose - perfect :)

"He's a better player than he looks." Geggster about Dfunkateer, Stone Bowl 2018.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

I need that sarcos team..

I think reused poses are fine as long as the details are distinct enough. The Norse Runners for example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sCJouOHgFYk/U ... unners.jpg

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I think we have different definitions of the "reused" part (which means our views are closer than above thread seems to show).

When you say "reused figures" I was thinking along the lines that you have 2+ "lineman #1" figures in the team. I don't consider those runners "reused" as they are different figures.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Yeah I thought so :) No, I just mean "halfway reused" It would be too boring with completely identical figures for all the positionals.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

In that case, I prefer all different (but recognisable) figures, but wouldn't be turned away if a team had figures that had been partially reused.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

To some extent it depends on the team, for instance i don't have an issue with some repetition in linemen in particular with the more uniform teams. If they are a well regimented race such as high elves or chaos dwarf blockers i could see all the players having the same kit. With so much of them covered in armour they may well look pretty much identical.

Similarly some positions rarely get maxed out; human catchers, throwers of all variates and assassins all spring to mind. So coming with less of them or duplicates is not so much of an issue. You could probably get away with only 2 or 3 of a 0-4 positional even if they are must buys such as blitzers.

Ultimately the design and quality of the sculpt are most important, if the models look rubbish then I wouldn't do anything with them except maybe use them for spare parts. With good looking duplicates you can at least do easy conversions such as head or limb swaps.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I just realized that models with balls (In their hands! You've got a dirty mind! :wink: ) somehow always are considered throwers.
Some of the 3rd party manufacturers seem to ignore that and have other models with balls made, which is quite confusing sometimes.

For example:

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Balls for non-throwers?!?! Have people gone people mad?!

Also, yes please just give me one thrower instead of two and put another lineman or catcher in the box instead :D

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Madsherman wrote:
Impact do many Trollcast teams, often with the majority of players being different sculpts for $35, with a few more to be added.
True. But, and this is no offense to Impact because I really like the store, there is a large variation in the sculpted quality in those particular teams. Where I think the Sarcos and Ape team are beautiful, some of the other teams are maybe not as great and/or don't fit BB that well (e.g. the siringit team), so I guess I'm yearning for a price reduction on a grander scale, across companies.
That was due to us allowing amateur sculptors to do work for us. I get it. I wanted to support new sculptors but it makes people paint the company with a certain brush because of it.

The teams we paid for I think turned about really nice (Apes, Sarcos, Timberline Elf, Amazon and the new Dark and Pro Elf teams (when I get the molds remade and can get them in the store) and the Deep Ones and Orc team). We are working on getting several new teams in the paid sculptor category into the store. (although I love our Ogre team and that was amateur sculpted)

I hope by June 1st to have 18 new teams to the online store added. 4 more to be added by August 1st (the 2 Elf teams and 2 more that will be announced soon). All will be full 16 to 20 figure teams for $35. The two new teams to be announced soon will be a going forward joint venture and those 19 figure teams will be $49.

So I'm trying madsherman ... and I hope you see a lot of high end stuff at low prices soon that you can appreciate.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Regash

Post by Regash »

To be honest with you, Galak, the sculpts were the reason for me not to order anything.
I just haven't found anything to my liking. Amateur sculptors may be an explanation.

So, I'm really looking forward to what is to come from impact.

Are you gonna "advertise" them here, so I won't miss any new teams/models?