Cheaper 3rd party teams?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Cheaper 3rd party teams with less players and variations?

Heck yes! I want ALL THE TEAMS!
31%
Nope. I love the variation, and my budget allows for me to spend the money.
69%

Total votes: 29

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Cheaper 3rd party teams?

Post by Madsherman »

I think it's great you support new sculptors, Galak :) I mean, I should, since I'm one of them :D. I guess I'm more looking for the pro team companies (of other companies than Impact) to consider a lower pricepoint option somewhere inbetween the 35$ to 85$... and actually I think the Kalle Ogre team is very nice for the price.

-Also I think I got a bit of a wake up call, when I found out that the 35$ I used to pay for a team back then is more like 65$ now.

Reason: ''
"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Madsherman wrote:I think it's great you support new sculptors, Galak
I didn't say he shouldn't do that.
I just said that maybe this is the reason why I don't like most of the minis.

Hell, even a lot of professional sculptors don't design to my taste.

After all, it's just a matter of gusto and very subjective.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Yeah, I guess it was more a reply to Galak :) and yes, most of the minis just fall a bit too far out of my sense of what Blood Bowl is, which is super individual. Heck, I even said in the "mighty orcs" thread that they were too similar too regular BB orcs, so it's a fine fine line to tread, trying to come up with something new that also seems grounded in the "classic" BB universe.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Regash wrote:To be honest with you, Galak, the sculpts were the reason for me not to order anything.
I just haven't found anything to my liking. Amateur sculptors may be an explanation.

So, I'm really looking forward to what is to come from impact.

Are you gonna "advertise" them here, so I won't miss any new teams/models?
Yes I will announce here as I am working on a full site revamp.

My son's health has meant I've had the company unfortunately on coast mode for the last 18 months ... just keeping the doors open was the only focus. So I have a lot of new products that need to get into the store.

Regash ... Just an honest curiosity question ... you find even the Sarcos, Apes, Amazon and Timberline Elf teams to be bad designs? Just trying to understand your standards (not in a bad way as each person has much different tastes). All 3 of those were professionally sculpted. The Siringit was professionally designed as well but not everyone wants a Chaos Pact team that looks like that I do understand.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Regash

Post by Regash »

SARCOS:
I really liked the Salt Water Crocs. I could live with the Leviathan but the Baby Crocs are just a No-Go for my personal taste.

APES OF WRATH:
Well, the problem with the Apes was just that I didn't like the idea of an ape team.
I'm not sure about the sculpting, really, just Apes in trousers are... well... just meh!

The Siringit have the same problem: I don't see them replacing any team.
Even if I liked all the sculpts, I wouldn't know what to do with them.

TMBERLINE ELF:
I never really paid attention to them as I already have my Woodies complete with GW BB Woodies.
Now that I took a look, they remind me more of some Aztechs instead of Elves... Nope, not for me either.

AMAZONS:
I have yet to find a decent Amazon team that I like. Not one I've seen made me go "Wow! I want them!" (This goes for Dark Elf as well!)
These are some of the better teams I've seen but still... *shrug* I don't know why I don't like 'em, but I don't.

It's hard for me to describe what I'm looking for. If I see it, I know that I found what I wanted.
So many people praise Franarcilla as sculptor but I don't like his style.
I do love most of the stuff of Pedro Ramos that I saw but again, not everything. But if I had to name a favorite sculptor, it'd be him.

I do like the Iron Golem dwarves, they're awesome and I haven't dared painting them yet because of my abysmally bad painting skills.
The Willy Undead XXL and Egyptian Undead are very good too.
I'm really looking forward to J_Bones Slann and Hungry Trolls Nurgle, they had me at first sight too.

Maybe this gives you an idea about what style I like.

Also, I'm abit afraid of your Trollcast miniatures, since I#ve read about the "self etching primer" issues, to be honest.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

All good .. thanks for that!

The pants on the Gorilla are an accessory (just as a footnote). ;-)

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I think that Impact's Amazons are the best-looking Amazon team ever available--and a perfect example of a team where multiple copies of positionals don't bother me, because they're at least clearly distinguished from one another.

While I agree that teams with different sculpts for every player usually look great, and I make an effort to get my teams nicely painted, I do feel like the minis are, in fact, game pieces, and their main function is to clearly represent a player on the roster. Any way to make the positions as clear as possible can only help.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Regash

Post by Regash »

Then maybe I have the "curse of the role player"...
When I play a team, it's never "Blitzer #3". They all get names and somehow, they all have stories, at least after a couple of games played.
Maybe that is why I like different models.

But yes, as I have a lot of GW teams here, I'm also used to have mutliple copies of the same model in one team, especially since I used to buy two teams from GW, so I had all the options to field my team.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Regash wrote:Then maybe I have the "curse of the role player"...
When I play a team, it's never "Blitzer #3". They all get names and somehow, they all have stories, at least after a couple of games played.
Maybe that is why I like different models.

But yes, as I have a lot of GW teams here, I'm also used to have mutliple copies of the same model in one team, especially since I used to buy two teams from GW, so I had all the options to field my team.
Naw, this is me, too, exactly. I'd find small ways to customize my players with paint details and so on, and I'd always get attached to them. And I find that most teams do a fine job of distinguishing players, but teams like the GW Amazons would make me nuts. If a player has to tell me, "the Blitzers have six rivets on their shoulder pads; the lineman only have five," I'm gonna mess it up at some point. "Counts as" teams make my head spin, and I'm constantly losing my mind trying to plan out how to get enough mutation minis made for all the Chaos-based teams I have in my paint queue.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Regash

Post by Regash »

Wifflebat wrote:I'm constantly losing my mind trying to plan out how to get enough mutation minis made for all the Chaos-based teams I have in my paint queue.
Oh yeah, the old WYSIWYG rule from tabletop... :orc:

If I wasn't that bad at converting, I'd try something with magnetizing but...
I just ignore that old WYSIWYG and do the mutations in my fantasy only! :lol:

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Some of the miniatures I like over others are 2nd editipon ones. In 2nd edition there was a lot of reusing a lineman body with a different head or arms. Still, all individual miniatures are clearly recognisable.

With that in mind, multi part kits could work, but aren't multi part kits with several instances of a body and reposable heads and arms more expensive to make then single part kits?

I think that one of the reasons GW was able to offer teams at such prices was more related to the amount of miniatures they made, not having a problem with overproduction and stocking miniatures unsold. In part these large numbers will have allowed them to manufacture cheaper/piece as well as buy tin cheaper.

Tin prices have increased as well, with quite an impact on the hobby.

All in all I do rather pay extra for metal then make do with resin/plastic. Even if that means owning less teams, but at least owning those models I like best. The metal thing in part is because of ease of stripping models and in part because metal miniatures have more heft to them and do not topple over as easily (as long as they are well balanced)

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

The beastfaces team is great as well. The warriors are very old-skool, and the beastmen "runner" and "blitzer" are so Bloodbowl !

Guest Speaker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Guest Speaker »

GalakStarscraper wrote:The teams we paid for I think turned about really nice (Apes, Sarcos, Timberline Elf, Amazon and the new Dark and Pro Elf teams (when I get the molds remade and can get them in the store).
I really like the Sarcos and to a lesser degree the Apes. As someone who pledged for both the (new) Dark and Pro Elf teams, I've gotta say that while I really liked the designs, the scale of the minis was too small, which was really disappointing, tbh.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Guest Speaker wrote: the scale of the minis was too small, which was really disappointing, tbh.
The reason they are not in the store is we are redoing all the masters and the molds to make those miniatures all 10% larger. We made them on scale with 28mm scale ... but I had several people want them larger so I am trying to address that since the molds were damaged from all the KickStarter pours and need to be completely remade.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

it's sad that the influx of oversized miniatures (largely from independent Spanish sculptors/companies) have resulted in correctly sized BB minis being perceived as "too small".

2nd ed minis now look ridiculous on the same pitch as more recent sculpts... :blue: