Casting moulds with Oyumaru

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Casting moulds with Oyumaru

Post by Tablet »

I've just started my next project, kitbashing a dark elf team out of the GW black corsairs and wyches box sets.

I have started sculpting a piece that will become the back of the torso for every position apart from the witches and the one token assassin. As it is going to needed multiple times I bought some oyumaru modelling clay. Making the mould itself was relatively straightforward but I forgot that green stuff doesn't file particularly well.

I think read somewhere online that people blend green stuff with other clays (milliput, I think) that make it easier for cleaning the excess away from the piece once cast.

Anyone had any experience doing something similar?

Reason: ''
GeordieBowl IX 2017 - Wooden Spoon
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Casting moulds with Oyumaru

Post by Steam Ball »

Yes, you can mix epoxy putties to achieve different consistencies. Mix each as normal, then mix the results in the ratios you want. You could also try with Superfine Milliput alone, it will cure rock solid if properly mixed (both parts are white...) and can be sanded.

Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

Steam Ball wrote:Yes, you can mix epoxy putties to achieve different consistencies. Mix each as normal, then mix the results in the ratios you want. You could also try with Superfine Milliput alone, it will cure rock solid if properly mixed (both parts are white...) and can be sanded.
Thanks man, I'll give it a go.

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

I have experimented with something similar. Unfortunately the putty I used shrinks a little bit when it has set.

Can anyone recommend a putty that doesn't shrink?

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I have always used straight milliput and haven't noticed anything shrinking.

But I generally use it for minor stuff, filling gaps, putting footballs in a model's hand, repairing mistakes, and such. Not much actual artistic sculpting, I know a lot of people prefer green stuff for that kind of thing.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

Sorry I meant to say that I bought some milliput extra fine and it worked great. Thanks for the recommendation, it cast very well and I noticed no shrinking whatsoever.

I just need to finishing painting my Orc team ahead of our league starting up and then I can get back to this project fully....

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

I also use the "extra fine white" milliput, and it works great.

Rick Sanchez lives!