Graveyard 40mm Pitch

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CountDuckula
Rookie
Rookie

Graveyard 40mm Pitch

Post by CountDuckula »

Hi there guys!

Long time lurker first time poster. Hope you are all doing well!

I've been in and out of the hobby in general for a few years but BB has always been my game. Recently a few friends and I decided to get back into Bloodbowl and I happy to say this led to buying Willy Miniatures beautiful Vampire team. Genuinely they look stunning and perfect against my friends Sukubus studio valkeryie team.

And it's these guys along with some of the incredible work I've seen here that have inspired the current build.

It's on thick polystyrene and I've wrapped the edges in fibre tape to stop it crumbling (Or me getting an earful for making mess!)

The squares are 40mm so the board is in 3 sections (I needed the LOS seperste for something cool!) The gravestones are all side on and inbetween squares so as not to affect anything.

Anyway I've rambled enough! Any feedback gratefully accepted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
CountDuckula
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Graveyard 40mm Pitch

Post by CountDuckula »

Next bit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CountDuckula
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CountDuckula »

Last bit for now. Just Aswell the teams undead as this is going to take an age to dry!

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Nice, I'm actually in the early stages of building a graveyard pitch myself, so looking forward to seeing this progress.

CountDuckula
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CountDuckula »

Thanks man! I look forward to seeing yours, any WIP?

Had some unseasonably nice weather so managed to get the base colour on. I've dry rushed straight over the black, not something I would normally do but I wanted to get try and get a darker look than I normally would. Hopefully the grey tombstones and grass tufts will brighten it up.

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Not much so far as I've only been planning the layout and experimenting with how to get a suitably aged stone effect for the gravestones. So there's just one WIP on the aforementioned gravestones, one pic below and the full post here:

http://fromthewastes.com/undead-pitch/
image.jpeg

CountDuckula
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CountDuckula »

Your work on the gravestones puts mine to shame! I hadn't considered painting them in addition. I've simply painted them grey, a 50/50 grey white dry brush with a final white brush. Genuinely great work!

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Great look so far! I can really see a fine graveyard pitch coming along. I am looking forward what else you put on it? Have you given sideline stuff a thought? Crypts for dugouts? Hangmantree?

However, I am torn a little with your design. I do think you will run into trouble when actually playing on the pitch. Sometimes the teams get into a real tight brawl on the field and when you have a clump of players standing and lying around, those gravestones might get in the way.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Thanks for the comments on the headstones. Yeah, I made one pitch before where in some places I rushed in and built something that I now keep on thinking I wish I'd done it differently. So this time I'm being careful to plan everything as much as I can.

I too am interested in the practical implications of having the gravestones on pitch. I did a test with 32mm squares and it felt like even in a big ruck there would be space to have models standing and lying prone. I imagine with 40mm squares you'll be more than ok for space.