New GW Skaven team

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

New GW Skaven team

Post by mikeyc222 »

well, like many others i have seen online, i am having a problem with the skaven tails breaking off. i lost my first tail on a storm vermin before i was even able to get primer on the minis. as a result, i have been trying to decide what to do with these insanely long and thin tails. i didn't want to just glue the tail back on as i was afraid that it would just break off again the next time i looked at it. what i ended up doing was removing the thinnest section of tail at the last band around the tail and then pinning the blade to the to the band. i need to add just a touch of green stuff to make the blade look like it's part of the band.

the tail is now much less fragile than it was before. this also made me start thinking about all the other tails and how fragile they are... at this point, i think i am going to go ahead and remove the thinnest section of all the tails to avoid what i see as their inevitable breaking. on the gutter runners, i may just trim down the tail and round off the end since there are no bands around their tails or blades on the ends.

Reason: ''
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: New GW Skaven team

Post by spubbbba »

Another option for the linemen and blitzers would be to trim the tail down massively and have it sticking out of the skirt.

if you look at the plastic stormvermin that it looks like those BB skaven are based on then they have much smaller tails.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

yeah, that's an option as well.
i'm not sure what they were thinking going with such long and thin tails...

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

These miniatures are designed to look good. They are not cut out for the carnage that is Blood Bowl

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why people are wetting themselves over this team, the tails are just stupid. As a design decision for a game where you are constantly picking up, lying down, turning over and turning round every miniature this just says massive massive fail. particularly when you do it in thin plastic. Happy to have one of the old metal teams.

GW please use metal again!

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

don't get me wrong, in general, the skaven are my favorite of the new teams so far. i just think the tails were a bad decision for minis that will be constantly handled. it is fixed easily enough, though. i haven't made any more progress on the rest of the team because i decided to put the humans and orcs together too, but i will be reworking the rest of the skaven soon.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Pinning the tails must've be a microscopic job, they're tiny?!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

actually, it wasn't too bad. i cut off the thinnest part, and pinned directly into the band that wraps around the tail and is a little thicker than the tail itself. i made the cuts, then filed the edges just slightly to completely flatten them, then made a small nick in the direct center of the end of the blade and tail with a hobby knife so my drill bit wouldn't "walk" on me. i started a small pilot hole with my smallest drill bit to make sure it stayed in the dead center, then carefully drilled out the rest with my "paper clip" bit as i tend to use paper clips to pin minis (they are super cheap and plentiful, one box is all you'll ever need). easy peasy. :)

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I need to get a new drill I think. My existing GW one is pretty battered.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Heff wrote:Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why people are wetting themselves over this team, the tails are just stupid. As a design decision for a game where you are constantly picking up, lying down, turning over and turning round every miniature this just says massive massive fail. particularly when you do it in thin plastic. Happy to have one of the old metal teams.
I really like the new Skaven, it's the only new team that I'm keen to purchase so far, but I do agree fully on the tails. They're worse than the old WFB plastic skaven, and they were bad enough.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Centipede
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Centipede »

Jip wrote:I need to get a new drill I think. My existing GW one is pretty battered.
P3 (Privateer Press) has kits. One is the drill with brass rod and a couple drill bits that match the size of the rod. The rest are different sized rod with their respective bits.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

here is my new 2016 Skaven team with all new sensibly shortened tails...

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

^^ I'd probably do the same. IIRC, only the runners have those 'blades', right? Although I probably wont be using that rule/skill (skaven are fine as they are anyway) I'd be nice to show them.

I havent seen a lot of 'new' skaventeams on the internet, painted... Are they all holed up or something? :)

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

actually, the gutter runners are actually carrying daggers in their hands. they are the only players on the team that don't have something attached to their tails. the throwers have the footballs, and all other players have small blades or in the case of 1 lineman sculpt, a spiked flail ball. i shortened all the tails on the team. the gutter runners, since they didn't have anything attached to their tails, just got a clip and file for shape.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Yeah, Sinterklaas gave me a Skaven team yesterday :)

I'll probably shorten all tails and see what I can give the GRs. Probably will use normal bases, not those big ones.

And have to look into either plastic gutterrunners, or convert 2 linerats to gutterrunner... Should be doable. I hope.