Primary and Secondary market effects of new release?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Primary and Secondary market effects of new release?

Post by Digger Goreman »

Especially interested in mini maker's opinions, though all are welcome:

What do you think will happen to the various 3rd party miniature makers? Are the smaller scaled lines doomed? I've seen what looks like a few drops in ebay prices... will this be a trend?

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Primary and Secondary market effects of new release?

Post by GalakStarscraper »

For now I expect to see the 3rd parties do well with so few teams released by GW at this time vs the number allowed in the rules released.

After that we'll see.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I hope you are right, so many have worked so hard.... Do you think Willy's will become more popular because of scale match (or are they still too big)?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Willy's are about the right scale now!

I'll still be looking at 3rd party regular scale figures because I won't be using the bigger pitch regularly (it won't fit on our club tables) and 28mm figures fit on the big pitch a lot better than the 32mm(?) figures fit on the small pitch.

I'll be disappointed if the 3rd parties all gone down the oversized scale.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

As far as I know, no business that brought variety to the customer ever failed.
If or if not you like something depends solely on your taste.
I, for instance, wouldn't use the upcoming new dwarven models from GW if the gave them to me for free.
I also don't realy like the new humans.

No, I think that willy and all other 3rd party mini mkers will do well, as there are always people who prefer one style over the other.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Digger Goreman wrote:Do you think Willy's will become more popular because of scale match (or are they still too big)?
Darkson wrote:Willy's are about the right scale now!
Nope, now they are smallish, specially in the "not thick enough" sense. That's a teen goat at best. :orc:

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Looking at the price of the forgeworld refs it looks like the resin models will be equivalent to their other 40K and Fantasy stuff. So not sure how many more teams of 12 plastic minis for £20 we'll be getting.

That is good news for 3rd parties as they'd have struggled had GW brought out 23 plastic teams of similar cost and quality to the 3 we've seen so far.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Regash wrote: I, for instance, wouldn't use the upcoming new dwarven models from GW if the gave them to me for free.

I also don't realy like the new humans.

This +1

Rayphoton
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rayphoton »

From a consumer view...I think the old guard will continue to use 3rd party and the newer players will prefer the official gw stuff, because I tend to see the new people do that with other games. if its not the actual miniatures of the company then they feel weird or..."bad" I'm not sure.

I think that if we do our part to tell new players "hey..there are options!!" then the 3rd party companies will do ok.

Also those dwarves are awful and bizarre.

Also...as the resident "dood who plays female teams" As long as GW eschews the girl miniature i know ill always be looking at alternatives.

bruce888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bruce888 »

Been playing blood bowl since 3rd addition. Next to Willy I think the new GW minis are great. Some third party stuff is very poor. If it's something I like, I dont care how much or how old or new, il pay whatever if I feel its worth if.

Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

Rayphoton wrote:From a consumer view...I think the old guard will continue to use 3rd party and the newer players will prefer the official gw stuff, because I tend to see the new people do that with other games. if its not the actual miniatures of the company then they feel weird or..."bad" I'm not sure.

I think that if we do our part to tell new players "hey..there are options!!" then the 3rd party companies will do ok.

Also those dwarves are awful and bizarre.

Also...as the resident "dood who plays female teams" As long as GW eschews the girl miniature i know ill always be looking at alternatives.
I want to support and buy GW miniatures, but because they haven't supported the game the last couple years when I got into it, I've already accumulated a good number of teams from the 3rd parties. It doesn't help that I haven't actually liked their designs much. Orcs and Humans have too many claws...Skaven tails are too brittle, and the Dwarf standing on his beard (yes, I know it's dynamic) doesn't appeal to me. I was going to wait to see what their Elves looked like, since there aren't many 3rd party Elves I've liked, but apparently that's not on their schedule until 2018.

Not that I don't have plenty of teams to tide me over, but I'm impulsive if a kickstarter comes out that I really like the look of...GW needs to hire Pedro Ramos.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Djay wrote:GW needs to hire Pedro Ramos.
Nooooooo!!!!!!! Don't say that out loud! They've already hired Axia(?) who commision-painted awesome PP teams, don't let them take one of the best sculptors too!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.