1-day WIP: The Dead Miniatures Society

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

1-day WIP: The Dead Miniatures Society

Post by nonumber »

Morning all,

I've been out of Blood Bowl for a couple of months as my head's just not been in it. With the Welsh Open tournament approaching this weekend, I needed some inspiration to get myself in the right frame of mind.

This stems from an idea I've previously had, and a technique I've previously used to smash a team out. Brought together in perfect unity to produce my next Undead team - the dead miniatures society.

We've all got bits and pieces of miniatures kicking around our shelves gathering dust that we've never really found a use for. I once had the idea of scraping all these guys together and making a kind of literal Undead team- dead miniatures resurrected and given a second chance at life on the Blood Bowl field!

I'm going to do so by using a mono-colour drybrushed painting technique. No, this will not be a good paint job. I'm currently in two minds as to whether this will be a ghoulish, pale glowing green (the "they're all ghosts!" cop out) or a gold effect so that I can pretentiously refer to them as "pieces" and lean back in my chair between turns to form a finger pyramid of evil contemplation.

Naturally the bases will be colour coded.

I'll be updating this thread throughout the day so stay tuned.

First lets meet the gang...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Re: 1-day WIP: The Dead Miniatures Society

Post by nonumber »

Taking the centre of the park as the Mummies, it's Lycos and the Moose miniature from Sweden Eurobowl '16!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Punching your faces, stealin' yo' girls, and crushing your dreams, it's the Bloodweiser Babe mini from Belgium 2015 and a random Beastman figure which was exactly as far as I got into a "wouldn't it be cool to make a chaos team from all classic Warhammer figures" project!

Meet the wights!

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

They'll score so many touchdowns, it'll almost be like that's their primary function on the blood bowl pitch! That's right, it's the ghouls!

Two weapon snipped Warhammer 40,000 mandrakes, once destined to be assassins on a dark elf team, a random dreadball miniature I got as a prize at bunker bowl, and bubba the bear from gert bowl!

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Maybe only one will ever be fielded at a time, but it's better than sitting on the shelf! Delicious skeletons, in the form of a dwarf longbeard, a skaven taken from the last edition of Warhammer fantasy battles starter set, and uh... a blood bowl skeleton...

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

aaaaand finally, let's face it, we all have around six thousand of these guys in a drawer somewhere, plastic 3rd edition orc linemen are our shambling corpses and favourite foul merchants, the zommmmmbiiiiieeeeeesssssss!!!

So there we have it, a full 16-man team scraped together from miniatures that were destined for the clear out... UNTIL NOW

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Splendid idea!
I am very interested in seeing how they come together. And if you don't mind, explain the painting process on the way so I might learn something nee, too.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Saebelsultan wrote:Splendid idea!
I am very interested in seeing how they come together. And if you don't mind, explain the painting process on the way so I might learn something nee, too.
You read my mind.

I decided to go for the ghost-y looking green. As such, the first step is complete with all miniatures being primed with white spray then base coated entirely with screaming skull from GW.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

After heading out to view a house and pick up a copy of the burning of prospero, the team's wash of Biel-Tan green is now dry

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Why did you base coat with Screaming Skull?

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Saebelsultan wrote:Why did you base coat with Screaming Skull?
I may have been able to go straight over the white primer, but I just made sure I hadn't missed any sections with the primer with the base coat of screaming skull. Also, the next step was a screaming skull dry brush. This off white colour works well in keeping the greenish tint of the wash. So in using it as the base coat, it matches up through the translucency of the wash when I highlight.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Finally I used a light and sporadic dry brush of ceramite white to give the miniatures more of a glow.

I'm not even sure how well you'll be able to tell in the image, but it's there.

And literally for the miniatures themselves, that's IT.

...they're ghosts OKAY?!!?

Now onto basing, and this rag tag group of hopeless miniatures could yet grace a blood bowl pitch.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I want to see the fully based team!
Thanks for sharing the process so far!

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

You clearly need glow-in-the-dark paint :)

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Well guys and girls... it's been a long journey, but finally, FINALLY after several hours this hapless bunch have become a team... kinda.

The dead miniatures society is complete.