Finally a tutorial! This time: the red!

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

axia
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Finally a tutorial! This time: the red!

Post by axia »

Since a lot of people is asking me about how I paint the red here it is a quick tutorial that I did last week for the blood bowl community. Hope you like it!
Anyway, before proceeding with the tutorial keep in mind those things:
-I have used only citadel colors
-all the paints are thinned down with 50% of water
-use the side of the brush to paint flat areas not the poiunt, in order to avoid the brushstrokes being visible on the model
-use the wet palette and hairdryer! They are your best friends to save time!
-I have used only the brush not airbrush, so don't go mad trying to understand if it is airbrush or not!
-try try try it's almost impossible to do good things at the first try
Let's start!
1 Basecoat the part with a mix 90%-%10 of Mephiston Red and Khorne Red. 2 layers is better than one
2 Start adding the first highlight color to the basecoat, Evil Sunz Scarlet, little by little and drag it toward the point of maximum light.
3 Start adding the second highlight color to the previous mix, Wild Rider Red, little by little and drag it toward the point of maximum light.
4 Start adding the third highlight color to the previous mix, Troll Slayer Orange and a bit of Yriel Yellow, little by little and drag it toward the point of maximum light.
5 First shadow, 90% Khorne Red plus 10% of Mephiston Red, drag it toward the point of maximum shadow.
6 Second shadow, previous mix plus Abaddon Black and a little bit of Xereus Purple, it makes the shadows more interesting, drag it toward the point of maximum shadow.
7 Glaze time! Use the Bloodletter Glaze on the entire surface from highlight to shadow in order to smooth the previous steps and enrich the red.
8 Scratches: these are two simple steps in one, using a mix 50%-50% of Abaddon Black and Khorne Red first with a fine brush paint some random strokes from outside to inside, in this way the larger part will always be toward the outside, creating a relistic effect. Also with a sponge or an old brush stipple some random dots.
Now add Flayed One Flesh to the last highlight and underline all the previous scratches, be careful and keep the edge highlight very thin!
9 Cheques: using Abaddon Black I have painted some brush strokes from the outside to the inside, creating a sort of chipped and ireegular painting on the area that will be painted with cheques. Also with a fine brush mixing Ceramite White and Flayed One Flesh I have started to draw the grid for the chequered pattern.
10 Final steps: fill with a mix of Ceramite White and Flayed One Flesh 50%-50% the grid in order to create the pattern, also using the same mix, highlight the black cheques and again all the previous edge highlights painted in the step 8.
And it's done! Hope you have enjoyed it and you like it!
Pin it, save it, do what you want as I said this is exclusive for this Group, maybe I will post next week on my profile just to save it but I'm not posting anywhere else!
Cheers!

Reason: ''
horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Finally a tutorial! This time: the red!

Post by horekim »

Thanks for sharing

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Thanks for sharing

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

I like pic #6 best, probably would have stopped there myself. Who am i trying to kid? Would have failed to even reach Pic #1 :P

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

I'm a little confused here. Steps one to four are basecoat and highlighting but the red in the image looks to be getting darker to me.
Is this an artifact of auto-balancing from the camera or do I have broken eyes?

axia
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by axia »

Don't worry just look the upper part, the lower part was in shadow because I was over it