Turning Necrons into a Khemri Team - pointers before I start

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Turning Necrons into a Khemri Team - pointers before I start

Post by Deathrain »

(TL;DR with just a squabble of questions without context at the end)

Hello,

I am planning to convert some Necrons into a Khemri team as a little project. They aren't a perfect fit for sure, but I believe I can make it work by painting them in a bone colour (+ red accents, a colourscheme I adore and have been itching to paint ever since i started painting miniatures) and introducing them as a sect of Khemri who didn't believe that the old bandages offer enough protection to their eternal bodies and therefor encased them in ivory instead. Of course that becomes brittle over the millenia, so today they are about as well armoured as their fellow Khemri. I am set on Necrons as basis, because the kits are readily availiable and I don't want to not be able to take the team to GW events (not that I plan on going to some, but I'd like to have the option).

So, for the models. The obvious choice for linemen are the basic Necron warriors. It is a (relatively) cheap plastic kit that comes with stuff for 12 guys and 3 sets of scarabs that make for great turn, score, and reroll markers! This is the value basis of my project. All I'll do on the linemen is stripping them of their weapons, rearrange weird poses, and give them knuckledusters on the right hands if I can't remove the weapon clean enough. Depending on what route I'll take next, I'll have 8 or 12 linemen at my disposal.

My biggest worry are the tomb guardians. Luckily the Teams of Legend PDF doesn't renamed them from mummies so I have the freedom to create them from Necron sets. I had two kits in mind for them, Lychguards and Triarch Praetorians. Both appear to be a bit more bulky than warriors, although that might be deceiving since they sit on smaller bases, so neither is a perfect fit. Here is where I'd love some alternative suggestions if you know GWs catalogue better than I do and maybe some insights on how exactly these scale to each other and the warriors. If these guys are too small, I'd consider using the shields they come with. Pros to that: It very clearly says "I am a guardian", it is very distinct on the pitch, and certainly creates a unique look. And with half the hands availiable they only have half the agility of the rest of the team. Cons are that they might be a step too far into the direction of being armed, which isn't blood Bowl at all. What would you say about seeing shields on them? Too much or a usefull visual cue?

Reason: ''
Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Turning Necrons into a Khemri Team - pointers before I s

Post by Deathrain »

Finally positionals. I cut out two routes here. The one I at the moment prefer because it is cheaper: Create them using Warrior bodies whos heads are swapped with those from the Lychguard set. Those have two distinct head styles, so I can distinguish with that, colour (more iron on the Blitz-Ras, since they have better armour, gold on the Thro-Ras because they are more glamorous and gold doesn't really help protect you, staying in theme with AV7, and by giving the Thro-Ras balls. I am almost set on this. It gives me a total of 16 players, the body types will hopefully be distinct enough, and it only requires two kits. The Tomb guardians would be Lychguard with regular warrior heads - depending on how big they are or if someone has some real good points against them with shields.

The other option is making the Tomb guardians from the Praetorians and then using Lychguards for the positionals. This was my initial plan, but I kind of went away from it. Having the Tomb Guardians with similar proportions to the positionals just doesn't wok too well.

Thanks a lot for reading through all this, I look forward to some input from more experienced hobby-people who maybe can share some experiences on converting teams, because this is a first time thing for me. I will post pictures (and maybe a video, I'll see about that) if I get on this, of course!

TL;DR: I want to make Khemri from Necrons because thats the most similar kits left in GWs production. What models do you think would make good Tomb Guardians, already considering Lychguard and also have looked at Triarch Praetorians, how do the models scale to basic necron warriors, is putting shields on Tomb Guards not Blood Bowl enough or a good idea for distinction, make positionals from warriors or one of the other kits?

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

Great, that settles my scaling questions, pretty much. I will go for Lychguard Tomb Guardians and headswapped warriors for positionals, then. Thanks a lot!

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I played against a coach that did this last night. I didn't know what he used, but I looked at the GW site. I think his team was expensive. It appears he used the singles with cloaks as tomb guards. Worked great, but had to have been expensive. Still can't tell what he used for the ***-ras.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

http://imgur.com/rbEW2BO

My first test-lineman is done. I enjoyed working on it and am reasonably happy with the result, although the pose is not ideal. A more static one would be more fitting. The left hand is a bit blocky, but thats something I'll have to live with as the team should stay as inexpensive as possible.

For bases I thought of one of GWs textures, but I am not sure about that. They will come last anyways, when the full team is ready.