New GW BB Troll

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: New GW BB Troll

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:they could have done that just by releasing a box with new figures and a printed copy of the CRP
Exactly.
And wait a couple of weeks and then see how many of "the new guys" will still be around...

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Do you want them still to be?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash

Post by Regash »

sann0638 wrote:Do you want them still to be?
If you mean me, well, I actually couldn't care less.
I don't have any players nearby to play with and so BB silently went from a playing games hobby to a collecting miniatures hobby.

But that is not the point, it is not about me.
It's just the same with everything, people will jump aboard when stuff is new and a whole lot of them drop out again when excitement cools down.
I've seen this happening in quite every part of life.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I'm guessing the "new guys" outnumber us by 10 to 1 or more. Even with a very high attrition rate, which will indeed happen as people move on to newer and shinier things, there will be plenty of players around who started with BB2016. Maybe way more than the old-schoolers.

The new rules are fine. They're as similar to LRB6 as I could have hoped, and there may even be some improvements. The deficiencies are minor, and the only one I'm actually concerned about is their seeming insistence that Grak and Crumbleberry are fine, and may be released as "official" in the future. But there's no reason to lord the old rules over the new players, or to somehow convince them that they're not playing the right game, or the "whole" game, or any such thing. We're playing "their" game as much as they're playing "ours."

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Chewy0
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chewy0 »

Regash wrote:
sann0638 wrote:Do you want them still to be?
If you mean me, well, I actually couldn't care less.
I don't have any players nearby to play with and so BB silently went from a playing games hobby to a collecting miniatures hobby.

But that is not the point, it is not about me.
It's just the same with everything, people will jump aboard when stuff is new and a whole lot of them drop out again when excitement cools down.
I've seen this happening in quite every part of life.

If you think like that it´s very small minded.
Of course, a lot of the players will leave, as fast as they were coming but a couple will stay and thats realy important!

Regash

Post by Regash »

Chewy0 wrote:If you think like that it´s very small minded.
And I think that it also very small minded to ignore the fact that old players will drop for some reason too, like jobs, family, change of interest, lack of people to play with...
The "new guys" might outnumber "us" (which I personally doubt) but for how long?
I think, sooner or later, the whole thing will move over to the computer, be it Cyanide, PbM or FUMBBL, just because it is so much easier to sit down in your own home, always have someone to play against just a mouseclick away and don't have to worry about miniatures or painting.
And that is a step I simply refuse to go, BB will always be a board game for me.

Sure, the rules have been kept rather close to CRP but the changes made, in my eyes, weren't for the better, but that is just my opinion.
What I was talking about was the very careless and incosiderate way this game has been re-released in. (No proof-reading of rules prior to printing? Seriously?)
There have been unnecessary mistakes and made by GW who, by now, should know how to handle a (re-)release of a game.
For me, it just says: "Yeah, let's make a new version, grab the money from it and then abandon it again!"

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:
Darkson wrote:they could have done that just by releasing a box with new figures and a printed copy of the CRP
Exactly.
And wait a couple of weeks and then see how many of "the new guys" will still be around...
Probably most of them, which would be a good thing - the "new" players, as a rule, haven't been attracted by new rules, they've been attracted by the fact the game was actually supported again. I doubt many of the new players even know the difference between LRB6 and BB2016.

My point is LRB6, released officially in a new box with new figures would probably have generated as much excitement, if not more, and would have generated more sales (I know I'm not the only one that hasn't bought the new box).
Regash wrote:For me, it just says: "Yeah, let's make a new version, grab the money from it and then abandon it again!"
Unfortunately, I'm getting that vibe more and more too. :(

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:Probably most of them
And that is what I highly doubt.
People are in it now as it is new and being promoted a lot to improve sales.
As soon as it goes out of fashion, the number of players will dwindle again, leaving behind a bunch of new hardcore fans.
And at least as many old hardcore fans will drop out due to given problems.

My main problem with the new edition is that it seems to be done by people who are highly motivated but have no experience whatsoever, aren't fans of the game and haven't been checked up on by GW itself. I can't speak for the younger generation but the simple fact that I got an errata sheet even before the game arrived in shops makes me wanna look for something else.
I, as a long time player, am lucky enough to have access to the CRP. But newcomers mostly don't have any idea about this game being around for so long and having evovled over time.

I just realize that this is a pointless discussion as we all have our own perception of things. And besides, it has been discussed already and is way out of topic.
So, please, back to the still UAF Troll and the ridiculous ForgeWorld prices.

MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

I have been looking more closely at the sprue recently and while it's hard to say, I believe the position of the left hand can be easily changed a bit (maybe will require some heat and/or green stuff).
The general position will remain goofy, but with the left arm position changed I believe it will look much better.
I kinda like the Troll (he grows on me), but he's definitely a Gobbo Team Troll and not an Orc one.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Troll pose is silly, but over all it looks "okeyish" for a orc team.
It would look better in a goblin team if the other troll is quite different. If both are the same it would look super stupid and very bad.
In a Underworld Denizens Team I think it would look very good.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I was never a fan of the look of the old trolls. I do like the look of this one except 'no empty hand options', and the pose. I've ordered one to see if I can mod to a better pose, but will probably need some other troll parts before I can make it happen.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Tablet wrote:
spubbbba wrote:I'm not a fan of the pose of either the troll or the goblin, the leg on it's own could work, but the arm in front of the face is just daft.
I do really like the troll itself so might see if I can buy him and salvage a pose more to my liking out of it. As it's only £15 and made of plastic is a much better option for me than most of the alternatives.

I like how this is more of a generic looking troll rather than the stone and river versions we got in 3rd/5th edition.
If/When you get around to this please post some pictures. My initial thought was that his left arm could simply be positioned down by his side in running/bowling a goblin kind of pose......

Like you say there are nice elements to the model, it's just that pose does nothing for me. This was made worse for me once I saw the picture of the "flamenco troll" on FB :o
I bought the troll yesterday, will see about trying to convert him at some stage. I'd like to do a goblin team, but depends what the new ones look like.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.