Help Painting a team video series

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Help Painting a team video series

Post by frogboy »

Hi,

So introduction, I normally dip my minis, with Army Painter, older generations will tell you you can buy the same stuff from Wickes or BnQ (hardware stores), a few people have asked me how to do it recently, or more specifically how to get better results than they show in their 'how to' videos.

So I recorded myself doing it, yes that's right children, painting and stuff...

The videos are a bit naff to start with as I was using my phone, then i switched to a tablet for better results. Now I will warn you the videos are not professional and go on a bit, probably boring but you can flick through them quicker to get the idea.
Any questions then leave them here, I'm not really looking for feed back, I hope its clear I am not claiming to be a good painter, I am just showing a technique I have used to get miniatures on the table playing and hope its helpful.

This is more aimed at people who can't paint for toffee, or like me, watch you tube tutorials of pro painters and cry knowing that without a time machine results like that will never be attainable.

So if you have a shaky hand, only own a few pots of paints and some tatty old brushes, can't see too good, want to paint your first team, haven't got time in the working week to add layer after layer blend after blend or your just really bored at work then check out my videos and get that mountain of lead/plastic/resin painted in jiffy...

Heres the link to the final video to show results https://youtu.be/rc5XCu7f5FY

No steady hands required :D

Cheers,
frogboy

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Help Painting a team video series

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks frogboy! I'm embarrassed to say that you're quickly painted minis already look better than what takes me hours and hours. I'll be watching the whole second (and any subsequent) videos later to see what's involved later.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I just browsed through those videos and I think the steps you too were:
  1. grey undercoat
  2. heavy drybrush with lighter grey
  3. light drybrush with even lighter grey
  4. base colors
  5. lighter drybrush
  6. lightest drybrush
  7. detailwork
  8. metal work
  9. quickshade
I now wonder, what you did the grey drybrush for.
And also, when Quickshade was presented first, the only put on very light base colors and then added the quickshade.
Isn't the quickshade basically covering most of the drybrushed transitions anyway?

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

If you thin your acrylic paints to the point of being transparent (guess how pros get smooth results...), the greys give you extra shading levels. Other people use spray cans instead of drybrushing, but same idea, first greyscale then tint it (not cover it). If you are going to apply the paint thick or in multiple coats to hide what is bellow, it's mostly a waste of time (with some paints there would be a difference, as not all them are as opaque... think yellows or red as common example of where the effect will still show a bit).

Quickshade should give you yet another coat of tinting, probably only fully covering in the deepest zones. Similar thing can be done with inks or washes (bought or made from paint), but instead of a general coat, per zone color coats (finer control of the effect).

Good result, BTW.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Regash wrote:I just browsed through those videos and I think the steps you too were:
  1. grey undercoat
  2. heavy drybrush with lighter grey
  3. light drybrush with even lighter grey
  4. base colors
  5. lighter drybrush
  6. lightest drybrush
  7. detailwork
  8. metal work
  9. quickshade
I now wonder, what you did the grey drybrush for.
And also, when Quickshade was presented first, the only put on very light base colors and then added the quickshade.
Isn't the quickshade basically covering most of the drybrushed transitions anyway?
Yeah them steps sound about right. Ok so to answer a few questions...

Answers not in order. I just posted now because the series is finished, I've tweeted a few times about this too or stuck it on Facebook as i was doing it. I thought the title of the video would make it obvious that there are more videos previous to this so if your reading this, firstly thank you and second if you didn't realise there were a whole series of these amature videos then just click on my You Tube channel and it should show you all of them.

The idea in the beginning was to document the whole process, although i lost some of the last footage of me doing the metal after applying the black and that video also cut halfway through due to running out of space/memory on my device and not realising. But you can get the idea. A friend of mine has already told me that the vids are too long and boring so if i ever do something like this again i could probably edit them better.

Apologies for this long ass answer, your doing well stay focused ;)

Originally i was in too minds, with the grey. I'd just bought a grey undercoat/primer a rattle can and whilst i was there i picked up a new range of washes (which i use in the video) they are the Army Painter ones, i was going to dry brush everything grey and lighter grey and then just use the different coloured washes as if i was painting an ethereal army of the dead (but with more than one colour) i tried this quickly between vids but disliked it and washed it off.
I don't normally do the extra grey dry brush at the beginning your right Regash, i normally go straight from primer to my base coat then to highlight using dry brush and some details but it worked the same way, i actually like the extra contrast the lighter greys did as it helps pick out the detail and probably makes the base coats lighter too, like some kind of "undershading".

Ok so why dry brush and then dip. Another reason i showed the finished video first. The results are not bad, for tabletop standard (i like them anyway).

Dry brushing is messy, most pro painters don't us this technique these days from what I've seen, preferring to blend and layer or whatever (use a magic wand) and most people who dip can't do this instead they paint on a base coat then dip to get the shade, it can look a little flat.

The trick is with quick shade it covers up most of the mess, it blends (not pro painter blends) or mixes the colours together so if you highlight up from darker shades gradually up to lighter ones with less and less paint then cover with quick shade it covers the mess and dose the hard work for you. This means i can use that giant brush and cover lots of miniature at one time, i don't need to have a steady hand, as long as i am dry brushing correctly.

After the dip/quick shade then i matt varnish using spray and then paint on the other one in any bits the spray missed.
Also quickshade makes the regular builders sand i used on the bases look good, notice i didn't paint that.

All this is good for protecting the minis too, which is good for playing Blood Bowl

Not sure now if I've answered the questions or completely gone off track but thanks for the interest. I will try answer any other questions.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

You should rename the video 3rd video so all them match. ;) Maybe make a playlist in order, adding basing one.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA :orc:

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Ah, didn't notice this at first, but there is no sound? Well, I hear music, but no narration/explanation of what's going on?

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

:lol:

Feel free to add your own. Or read the description above

Cheers :orc:

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I've seen these ogres in person (at BUBBABowl) and they look mint.

Top work man. I've made the decision that getting it on the table painted in any way beats playing with a grey plastic team. Keep seeing that quickshade being backed by various people, might have to give it a go.

Bonus points for the humblebrag of leaving the unobtainable Skaven dice in the shot the whole time! :lol:

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Haha thanks Jip, yeah was hoping someone was going to offer me stupid money for the Skaven dice as it happens I've had no offers so maybe give them away at Foul Bowl instead.