Metal vs Plastic (and others)

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Miniature materials preference:

Poll ended at Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Metal
52%
Plastic
44%
Resin
4%
Silly Putty
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 54

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Metal vs Plastic (and others)

Post by faust_33 »

bouncergriim wrote:
faust_33 wrote:
bouncergriim wrote:I choose metal, and I see a lot of others did as well.

I would be curious though to have another poll about what you think a good price for a full team is 16 figures, all positionals and no big guys (lets assume big guys are easily purchased to fill roster as needed, but in the case of metal big guys add big cost quickly).
That's a good idea bouncegrim! I've been thinking about running a monthly poll, with a few other questions bouncing around in my head. Mind if I borrow your idea (with due credit of course) for the next one?
Go for it. Might be nice for manufacturers out there to see what the perceived sweet spot is.
Thanks bouncergriim! And sorry about typo'ing your name in my previous post!

Reason: ''
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

the solitaire wrote: I have a few teams in use since the late 1990's and no paintchips.
i require pictures to believe that. And also a record of how many games you played with each of them.

in any case, plastic is still better because you don't have to change your painting habits.

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

I can do pictures, but I don't keep records. Except maybe for the original Black Album and one or the other KISS vinyl, but I don't keep track of games I play.

As far as changing my painting habits, when I started out, plastics were the exception. My WHFB armies are completely out of metal, including the regular joe spear toting Dwarfs. I stopped buying Privateerpress products at the time they started turning out their first plastics. My habits are all about dealing with metal miniatures and always have been.

EDIT

Now that I think about it, I even own a space marine army as well as a chaos marine army consisting of metal miniatures only

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Metal all the way. Plastic miniatures are children's toys.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Plastic for me. Not even close as far as I'm concerned! :D

The only benefit I can think of with a metal model is that greater feeling of satisfaction when handling it. Plastic or resin feel like they're made from air in comparison! In every other regard though, I think plastic wins.

Easiest to cut, drill, file etc. Less breakages from far stronger joins when using polystyrene cement. Not as soft and prone to bends and chipping of paint as metal. Not as brittle as resin, and without risk of that horrible release agent issue it can have.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Heh, so I've been assembling the new plastic GW minis and decided to show our teen the difference between my old minis and the new ones. I handed him 1 Skaven model of each, and the first thing he comments on...the nice weight of the old metal minis! He does like the detail better on the new plastic minis, but yea, it's impossible to ignore the hefty feel of metal minis.