Gouged Eye WIP

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Gouged Eye WIP

Post by nyahoi »

faust_33 wrote:Forgot to mention, that I seem to be liking the Citadel colors (a least in photos) quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to end up switching to their line of paints, but I have been picking up quite a few of them. I did get some Vallejo Extra Opaque paints recently to use for base colors, so we'll have to see what I like better.
My camera's terrible at showing it, but they are very nice colours! I'm not a fan of the consistency of base paints so far personally, but that could change with experience.
Axtklinge wrote:They are coming along very nice.
Looking forward to see how they build up from there.
:)

Do you plan on adding side line figures (coach, apo, etc.)?
And if you do are you planning on converting or using any particular model?
Cheers! I'd like to add the 2nd ed female orc and goblin cheerleaders at some point. To both act as score, turn and reroll markers, and to go with an idea I have rattling around for a display. I think that would be a nice way to complete the team. Along with adding a troll, goblin and extra thrower to bring them up to the full 16. I think I'd maybe give the orc the same pom-poms as the goblins for continuity. And I'd definitely have them on taller, more plinth like bases to distinguish them as markers. With plaques labeling each one's function.

Agrax Earthshade added, with red and brown then cleaned back up. Apologies for the picture quality. Once the entire team is finished, I'll inquire with some photographers I know about getting some proper pics!

Reason: ''
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Looking good!

I think I've heard that the Citadel base paints are really thick. Is that why you're not crazy about the consistency?

I was at a game store the other day, and ended up picking up a pot of Mournfang Brown to try out. I still haven't used any of my Citadel paints yet, other than the washes and technical stuff. Maybe this weekend I'll find the time to try it out.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

I found that no matter how I thinned it, it always seem to need a fair amount work to smooth out brush strokes. Others out there seem to almost goop the stuff on though, so it may be that it's far more self leveling than I'm brave enough to risk! Treating it how I would any other paint might be what was tripping me up. Maybe do a test piece with your brown first, and see how it settles from being on thicker than normal. I'm loving my introduction to layer paints though as I do the green! It's brilliant for creating gradients.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that it was so thick. Are you using just water to thin the paint or have you tried flow improvers like Liquitex?

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Its not that it is that thick really. Just that it does seem to leave strokes when applied thinly. No, just water, but that certainly might've helped!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I did manage to try out two base colors from Citadel over the weekend. Mournfang Brown and Mephiston Red. I did add about 2ml of Liquitex Flow-aid to each pot (and that's part of a longer story). I could see without the Flow-aid that the paint could be very streaky. I mostly didn't run into that issue though. I found the paint to be interesting. It did cover the mini much faster than my experience with Vallejo paints. I applied two thinnish paints, and that was all I needed. That was over a grey primer. I usually use white primer, and I imagine I'd have to apply even more coats with the Vallejo paints to cover the grey.

I still have to try the Extra Opaque Vallejo set I picked up, to see how it compares. The other really nice thing about Citadel paints is you can easily find color combos and tutorials online. With the Vallejo line, I'm usually guessing what will work, which is sometimes straight trial and error. I'll probably someday be like all those 'cool painters' online who mix and match paints from a variety of lines. :lol:

Anyways, I would give Flowaid a try. That, plus a wash over the top, and I don't think you will see any paint strokes.

This was a quick test of the Mephiston Red with flow improver, before a wash: https://doubledowndice.files.wordpress. ... g_8448.jpg

EDIT: Well, last night I was using the Mephiston Red again (still with Flowaid in the pot), and it started drying out on me. Soon as it started doing this, things got goopy and brush strokes started showing up. Adding a lot of water back in started to help. I guess I could've adding more Flowaid to the paint as well. Point is, Flowaid might not be the perfect solution I thought it was.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

faust_33 wrote:Point is, Flowaid might not be the perfect solution I thought it was.
Great review though. Thanks for that.

Warboss Green added. Went back over the Waaagh Flesh in places like the head, as I wasn't happy with how much the Agrax Earthshade had darkened it. In other Warhammer TV tutorials they use a green wash instead, which I think probably would've worked a lot better. This way looked far closer to a black lining than a dark green shade.

After a LOT of practice, I finally carved Varag's plaque. Still needs a bit of cleaning up, but I'm pretty happy with it. Luckily scratchy looking lettering is perfect for Orc writing! Doing Griff's when I eventually get around to it will be a whole different issue!

A close up of a few different things done. The belts were highlighted with Skrag Brown. Clothes were blacked in and highlighted with Eshin Grey. They still need a final highlight of Dawnstone but I want to leave that until the skin and armour is done. Leaving the boots plain for now as well, as they'll inevitability need cleaning up from drybrushing the bases. The edging of the skulls and numbers were painted Rakarth flesh. This was then lined where it met the red with Agrax Earthshade, then the fronts were painted Pallid Wych Flesh. The skull details then painted in black, with Mephiston Red added inside the eye. Going to also add a final highlight of white to the top edging of these at a later stage.

So the next big step is highlighting the skin. Then I'll do the eyes and teeth before tackling the red.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Maybe it's just because I'm hungry right now but it looks like you used Oreos for bases! :lol:
Otherwise: Awesome job so far!

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Haha! No, if they were Oreos they'd have been long eaten ;). Cheers!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Looking super nice, Nyahoi!

How'd you etch Varag's name on the base? X-acto knife or something else? Looks really nice.

I like the Agrax Earthshade wash, but you're right it does tend to leave things dirty. I think I also found out what I've been doing wrong wet palette wise, and I haven't had paint dry out on me as bad lately. I'll have to go back and try it out with the Citadel paints as well. It sounds like if you're seeing brush strokes, then it is mainly caused by the paint being too thick and/or dry. This is nice video of Duncan talking about paint thinning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Thanks bud!

Yeah, just a craft knife and a needle. I saw that. I did laugh at how much heavier he applied the un-thinned coat though :D

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I picked up a micro-engraver awhile back, but the battery died before I really got a chance to play with it. I have a feeling it wouldn't go as deep as the scratches you made though.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

I love this thread, it is great to see so much love being poured into these minis!

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Update time!

Skin highlighted with Skarsnick Green. This was done with about a billion layers of glazing (far more than was probably needed), and took the majority of my hobby time this month. I think I'd get a LOT faster at that with practice though, and though my camera sucks at showing it, I'm pretty happy with the results. Armour and leg-wraps were edge highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet, then Wild Rider Red. Teeth layered with Rakarth Flesh then Pallid Wych Flesh. Base painted Mournfang Brown, ready for dry-brushing Zamesi Desert then Ushabti Bone.
The eyes have just been blacked out for now, as they're a bit lopsided and I'm not entirely happy with how noticeable that is when coloured.

Next step is finishing the bases. Then I'll cleanup and highlight the boots, along with giving the final highlight to the rest of the black.
Still a fair bit to go, but they're starting to take shape!
Deathrain wrote:I love this thread, it is great to see so much love being poured into these minis!
Cheers! Every time I think I'm done, I get a new idea! Be worth it in the eventual end :D.
faust_33 wrote: I picked up a micro-engraver awhile back, but the battery died before I really got a chance to play with it. I have a feeling it wouldn't go as deep as the scratches you made though
I still think you should use it to make stone slabs on your Dwarf bases ;).

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

nyahoi wrote:Cheers! Every time I think I'm done, I get a new idea! Be worth it in the eventual end :D.
Isn't that the truth!? Every time I feel like I'm getting close, something else comes up. Speaking of which, you're right I should replace the batteries in the engraver and play around with it some more.

Awesome paints on these. That skin tone is super smooth! It might have taken awhile, but I think the results sure paid off. Those are going to be beautiful once you get them all done. Do you have any plans to take on another team later?