Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Models » Fantasy Football Miniatures & Products

Post subject: Re: Gouged Eye WIP
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Varnish update for anyone intending to use 'Vallejo Polyurethane Matt Varnish'.

Think I've discovered that this stuff needs more than the recommended 24 hours to fully dry! When working on the models on Thursday the varnish was completely touch-dry, and I assumed fully cured as each coat had been given its 24 hour wait. I then went to work on them again tonight, and found that the varnished surfaces are now wet again! With it having been clearly reactivated in some way.

I'm guessing this is to do with the surfaces having been laid flat for the first time, whilst not yet fully dry. Perhaps the pressure from the weight of the models, or lack of air flow has caused whatever liquid was left to evaporate to somehow seep through instead. Not sure obviously, but with both coats of primer having been given 3 days each, I'm fairly certain the varnish is the sole culprit here.

Photo below. You can clearly see how milky some of the varnish has become from being reactivated. On Thursday this was literally jet black and bone dry!

Hopefully it will just fully dry out and wont need to removed and redone. Bit worried it might have to be if the first coat isn't fully set whilst sealed under the second. I'm going to try accelerate the drying with heat from a bulb or something and see if that helps. Anyone else happen to have used this stuff and had a similar experience?

Update (5/11/17)

Laying the models on their side overnight has reverted the varnish back to touch-dry. Going to leave them that way to hopefully fully dry, while I concentrate on getting the second half of the team up to the same state. With at least 3 days to dry between their coats! Once they're done, I'll stand this lot back up for a night and check if this happens again. If it still does after that long a wait, I'll just remove the varnish and redo the bloody things :-?.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm 
Legend
Legend

So, are those dry already?
:D

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Axtklinge wrote:
So, are those dry already?
:D

Last coat of varnish went on the second half of the team tonight. Giving that 4 days like the one before it, then going to add the basing sand. If that isn't enough time for them to be fully dry then I don't know what is :D.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Legend
Legend

LOL
Indeed.

:lol:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Base undersides primed and varnished. 3 days of drying time for each coat of primer, and 4 for each coat of varnish.
It cant be seen, but I used double sided tape here to temporarily fix the tops of the models bases to the cocktail sticks. That way I could view the models at different angles during priming without worrying about them sliding around and ruining the wet primer.

I glued the sand with some slightly watered down PVA and a drop of washing up liquid as flow aid. With that fully dried, I then sealed it down with a very watery PVA/washing up liquid wash. Then primed the rest of the model with a coat of the surface primer.

I've nervously decided to prepare my Varag for painting as well! This will be the first time I've painted anything in over 10 years, so I was initially just going to complete the team first, then tackle him once I had some confidence with a brush again. It'd be brilliant to have everything finished at once though, so I'm going to bite the bullet and throw him into the mix.

faust_33 wrote:
I'm guessing for carrying/storing the minis in a case?

This is a great extra bonus to having these bases magnetised! With that in mind, I decided to do Varag's as well in case I ever wanted to make use of it. Easy enough to incorporate since I already had to increase the height of his base to match the rest of the team on their 3d printed versions anyway. I can’t have my star being shorter than a common lineman :D

And since he’s playing on my team he should have my logo!

This is where I’m at so far with his base. One more layer of Plasticard left to add to make it the same height as the others. Then I'll work on getting him up to the same point as the rest of the team.

Board index » Models » Fantasy Football Miniatures & Products