Bull Warriors - Chaos Dwarf now on Kickstarter

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Bull Warriors - Chaos Dwarf from Gaspez-Arts

Post by Darkson »

These could be the greatest models in the world, but if they've got big hats then they're pants imo - might as well give them jesters hats and clown shoes for me, they couldn't look any more stupid. ;)

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Like I said, not for everyone. :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Well, I don't need super dynamic poses in miniatures, I happened to think the GW Chaos Dwarf blockers looked just fine. They are *blockers* after all! They just need to stand there and get in the way.

Having said that, I do prefer these minis to the GW ones overall. The GW ones are like a nose, two feet, two hands, and a big hat. Not much to them. I still have a soft spot for them though.

Now my real reason for posting is to find out what you guys mean by "pants"! I even looked it up on Urban Dictionary. Am I really getting so old, I can't figure out the slang anymore?! :?:

Brage97
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brage97 »

"pants" means "shit" or "meh" or something to that effect

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

faust_33 wrote:Now my real reason for posting is to find out what you guys mean by "pants"! I even looked it up on Urban Dictionary. Am I really getting so old, I can't figure out the slang anymore?! :?:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pants
Go with 1h, 2, 3, 4.2 and 5. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Here's how I look at the whole "Big Hats" vs the cool old school Chaos Dwarves, baby!!

I originally HATED the Big Hats. But I think I have a fond memory of ALL the 2nd ed figures. Heck, I even like the Orcs and humans from second edition. And those are the WEAKEST of the 2nd ed teams. I quite like the 2nd ed Chaos Dwarves because of a couple of things. One, there were only 6 of the little bastards. That makes them cool right out of the gate. 2, they look weird, violent and Mondo Bizarro all at once! Lastly, again IMHO, they recall that fun time when Blood Bowl was new...or at least, the miniaures were new. I remember going to Origins '89 at the Inner Harbor, MD and spending $135usd at the Games Workshop stall. Every penny on BB figures. Well, I did spend $17 and change on that box of metal space Orks(I forget the name of the box set). I bought 4 box teams(when they were sold for $19.99 for 16 figures in those niffty plastic boxes with the sliding lids!, and the other $40usd or so was spent on BB blister packs!

It was a great time to play the game, even if the game WAS'NT really that good at the time. And anyone who says that BB was a really great game back during second edition, was not being truthful. The goofy "first player to get to 3 goals wins was stupid in it self. But the Thursday Night Hero's were a league back then, and we liked the game. But the game was'nt GREAT until third edition.

I am ranting, but I have a point.

I think the IDEA of the Big Hats was a bad idea that JJ said was wrong to begin with, as that was taken from the Warhammer Chaos Dwarves at the time. But that was going to happen anyway, as ALL the Teams for 3rd ed were Warhammer army figures carried over to Blood Bowl.

But these figures Gaspez-Arts is offering are making a bad idea into very good looking miniatures. I happen to think my friend faust is correct about the Chaos Dwarf Blockers to a degree: Yes, all the blockers need be doing is "standing there looking solid and unmovable". But why end it there? Mean to say, why not ad a tad bit of action to them? Why NOT make the 6 that you can hire for your team a little bit more, say, varied in styling and stance?

And while Fabio has only shown us one Centaur, well, this guy looks much better then the Star player from 3 rd ed. The "animal" half is alone BETTER, let alone the Dwarf bit.

And I'll finish be saying this Hobgoblin can be repeated 8 times and that will make the Hobgoblin's 100% better then the Granny Hobgoblins, even factoring in the GW 5 poses, or however many Hobgoblins there are in the box set.

Look, I kind of know you would'nt agree with me on, well, anything, Darkson. And I get that. I'm cool with that, too. We will not agree because we mostlikely play in very different leagues, with different types of people, too. Again, I'm cool with that. But Fabio also supported our tourney when many other companies just plain would'nt. Fabio and Tom supported our event dedicated to my cousin who was killed in Afghanistan. I won't say much more, because of no Politics here, but MANY companies never even answered my email to ask if they would consider helping. Fabio and Tom. Every year, without complaint. Without saying NO. Every year.

But I know figures. I own many, many BB/FF figures and I buy more nearly every week(and my wife hates that I do. But I pay the bills, so Tough Tities :lol: ). These are fine looking figures, from a great guy who puts out great looking teams.

I will buy these. Some of my league mates plan on buying them.

There. Fabio has already sold about 4 sets :smoking:

Rick Sanchez lives!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I just want someone to make some awesome looking CDs (like these from the faces down) that throwback to when CDs were proper CHAOS Dwarfs, not the "slightly evil, oh-look, our wizards turn to stone" comedy ones. All the great CDs (like these) get stupid Big Hats, and all the "proper" CDs teams ook a bit "meh" (there's been some nice individual figs, but not teams).

(And of course, they'd need Boar Centaurs rather than Bull...)

I don't own a CD team because I've not seen any figures I want to buy (other than the 2nd ed ones), and I actually like the CD roster - when I have taken them to tournaments I've always borrowed a mate's team, made from WFB CDs from around the same time.

:(

Fabio, make some proper Chaos Dwarfs. ;)

I will be checking the KS to see if I can get some hobgobs though.

Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

I'm with you BFG, I never thought there would be a "big hat" design of Chaos Dwarf for me but these sculpts are lovely, especially the Hobgoblins.

I might have to suggest to my wife that I've found her Christmas present for me already :wink: and if the kickstarter does a good price on existing teams I might have to stump up for the Khemri team too. Which are for me, the nicest option out there right now.

GeordieBowl IX 2017 - Wooden Spoon
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I know some of us don't do Facebook (I try to avoid as much as possible), but this Chaos Dwarf Bull looks amazing. Hopefully Gaspez-Arts doesn't mind me sharing. Mikey C also has pics and info on his site, for those of us allergic to Facebook: https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com

@Darkson: I feel for you. It would be nice if manufacturers had two head options for CDs, as I know you aren't the only one. I've never seen the 2e CD's in person, but I have really like the images I saw of them online. As BFG put it, they are nutso-crazy looking and you gotta love that. Probably one of the very, very few 2e teams I would ever consider owning. It's kind of weird that no one has tried to make a new 2e style CD team. Sounds like a job for J_Bone! :lol:

Each new pic I see of this Kickstarter has me wanting more though. I'm like 99% sold. An image side by side with a new GW Dwarf model, would definitely drive it home. I also really want to see what their Minotaur looks like, but I'm guessing it will be just as solid.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

yes, i really like that Bull Centaur as well.
i know some people don't like the big hats, but as someone who has both the 2nd ed and 3rd ed chaos dwarves, i much prefer the 3rd ed minis.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Gaspez-Arts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gaspez-Arts »

I have edited the first post only to say that the Kickstarter campaign will start September 5th and there will be an Early Bird free Chaos Dwarf mutation mini for people who back the team on the first day, so don’t wait and pledge asap
Look at the mutated Chaos Dwarf

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Gaspez-Arts wrote: Look at the mutated Chaos Dwarf
Is that a 30mm base?

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

faust_33 wrote:I know some of us don't do Facebook (I try to avoid as much as possible), but this Chaos Dwarf Bull looks amazing. Hopefully Gaspez-Arts doesn't mind me sharing. Mikey C also has pics and info on his site, for those of us allergic to Facebook: https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com

@Darkson: I feel for you. It would be nice if manufacturers had two head options for CDs, as I know you aren't the only one. I've never seen the 2e CD's in person, but I have really like the images I saw of them online. As BFG put it, they are nutso-crazy looking and you gotta love that. Probably one of the very, very few 2e teams I would ever consider owning. It's kind of weird that no one has tried to make a new 2e style CD team. Sounds like a job for J_Bone! :lol:

Each new pic I see of this Kickstarter has me wanting more though. I'm like 99% sold. An image side by side with a new GW Dwarf model, would definitely drive it home. I also really want to see what their Minotaur looks like, but I'm guessing it will be just as solid.
The main problem with the 2nd ed Chaos Dwarves is, well, 2 problems:
1)they have NO Hobgoblins
2)the have no Centaurs

I agree with Darkson about the Boar-taurs. :D And I have seen some very nice conversions using the 2nd ed Chaos Dwarf bodies and old Orc Boarboy bodies. Looks great, and I have a club mate ready to do the conversions for me(I and NOT good at most conversions), but every time I look on EBAY, I see the prices and think "I could buy something NEW instead of this..." And I go over to the Comix site and the Boar conversion is forgotten.

I have seen people use the 2nd ed Orcs as their Hobgoblins, but I just traded my spare 2nd ed Orcs to a member here, and I don't anticapate getting more, so theres, that.

And tbh, it seems the 2nd ed Chaos dwarfs are drying up on EBAY, too.

Rick Sanchez lives!
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Steam Ball wrote:
Gaspez-Arts wrote: Look at the mutated Chaos Dwarf
Is that a 30mm base?
WOW. :o

Rick Sanchez lives!
Gaspez-Arts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gaspez-Arts »

The base is 30mm and only after this question I noticed I didn't write this info in the KS page :)
Anyway tomorrow you'll see everything .. I hope .. in the Kickstarter page.
Thank you