Skaven Team Suggestions

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Numem
Rookie
Rookie

Skaven Team Suggestions

Post by Numem »

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to Blood Bowl tabletop.

In a week or two, I should receive my first BB team, Skavens (ordered 2 GW boxes, so I will have a full team, minus the Rat Ogre).

Could you guys recommend me some good looking color patterns, so I have some idea how I should paint them? Just a note here, I've never painted a miniature before, but I do plan to do it on my own, so, no commissioning.

I've attached a colour scheme that I've found so far and that I like quite a bit, tho it does seem a bit complicated to do it for a beginner.

Thank you in advance :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Skaven Team Suggestions

Post by spubbbba »

Welcome to the site.

A trick that I like to use when picking colours for a team is to choose one from each of these categories.

Colour
Blue, green, yellow, red

Shade
Black, white, bone/cream

Metal
Gold and silver

So for those skaven you might want to pick a colour for their armour, a shade for the clothing and a metal for all the armour edging and spikes. Say red, black and silver. You can paint any extra bits like pouches, belts or straps a subdued colour like brown or something that will stand out like white.

That will give you a simple but good looking team strip. You can also go back to it and add more detail as you get more confident.

If you do want to add more detail you can put more options into the colours like orange, purple and pink, put brown and grey in the shades or copper and bronze in the metals. That does start to get a bit more complicated, the same is true if you add patterns or multiple colours like in your example. Though it looks great if you get it right like they did.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I sometimes pick a real-life team and steal their colors. By coincidence, I'm in the process of painting up a Skaven team.

A friend of mine had a Skaven team back in the 90s painted in the New England Patriots colors, called the Patri-Rats. His team used the old 80s / early 90s colors:

I am going to rip off his idea, with the modern colors:

First of all, because that's my team, it's a classy look, and I'll never lack for player names and numbers.

And, I admit, because it will piss off my friend and leaguemate who is a Buffalo fan. Yes, sometimes even Blood Bowl players are petty and immature ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I usually look to old Football uniforms as well. It's sometimes hard matching that to the clothing, armor, and other bits that you find on a Blood Bowl mini though. But at least it's a good start for finding two colors that are going to work well. Green & White, Green & Yellow, Blue & White, etc.

Once I have my colors in mind, I'll start looking at pics of minis online. Naturally, if you are buying Games Workshop models, their site will have pics of their minis already painted up. They usually have a few with rotating picture views, which is great for seeing the mini at different angles. Once I've found some mini pics, I'll try to imagine swapping out my color scheme with the colors I can see on their mini.

I've basically done just that with the Dwarf team I've been slowly been working on (pics in my signature). I decided I wanted gold. Wasn't crazy about the blue/gold combos I was seeing and opted for red/gold. I veered a bit from how GW painted them, opting for gold armor rather than blue.

The other thing to keep in mind, is future teams. You probably don't want all your teams being red & white (or whatever colors), so I try to think ahead of what colors I might reserve for other teams. This also depends on the skin colors of some of the races. You probably don't want to paint Orcs a green color, and then give them green armor.

Hope that helps!

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Or sweet wrappers :)
My human team are painted purple and yellow (chocolate éclairs). Completely accidental - it was through working out what colour I thought went well with purple - but was pleasantly amused when it was pointed out to me

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

I tend to go with heraldic rules. so colours are Blue Red Green black. Contrasted with white or yellow.

Recently though all my teams seem to be orange and something. Orange and purple works as does Orange and Sky blue

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I really like Purple/pinks. The last team i painted was Orcs and it worked well (IMO) for them as there is so much green.

There are a ton of videos on youtube and Games Workshop produce loads too. Well worth watching some to get an idea on what to do.

Well done on taking the plunge and good luck with the painting and the team :orc:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgptSa ... 0SURdQNYgg This guys hobby cheating videos are great

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbJCFA ... 6WfSMMLzvw Another favorite channel of mine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyMPU9 ... kD8NZQu1tA Challange yourself :D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

My minis can politely be considered on the good end of "gamer's standard"... not too fancy, but won't be embarrased when they hit the field....

I use brush on primer, intentionally getting that shadow effect from it naturally gathering in the crevices. I go with two colors I like, then (like the suggestions above) use a unifying theme color for the bits and armor. The main thing, despite level of competence, is to make them look like they play together, and colors should help alot. If you want a little more pizzaz, for not much effort, trim armor pads in the second color: Grotty Phyton's Flying Circus ogres have purple torso shirts, orange pants. Upper armor is purple, trimmed in orange, for example.

Also, find an old hat that knows what he's doing and have a conversation. You might not use everything he/she says, but some things will be priceless: I still use cheap reading glasses (sometimes in pairs) to magnify the miniature while I paint!

Good luck and be careful with those fragile tails....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Digger Goreman wrote:Also, find an old hat that knows what he's doing and have a conversation. You might not use everything he/she says, but some things will be priceless: I still use cheap reading glasses (sometimes in pairs) to magnify the miniature while I paint!
And you learn something every day! I bought one of those 'Jeweler's magnifying lens kits' with swap out lenses. Nice in a way, but found it really uncomfortable for long sessions. Hadn't even thought of trying out reading glasses! They are likely way more comfortable to wear for longer periods, and cheaper.

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

rolo wrote:I sometimes pick a real-life team and steal their colors. By coincidence, I'm in the process of painting up a Skaven team.

A friend of mine had a Skaven team back in the 90s painted in the New England Patriots colors, called the Patri-Rats. His team used the old 80s / early 90s colors:

I am going to rip off his idea, with the modern colors:

First of all, because that's my team, it's a classy look, and I'll never lack for player names and numbers.

And, I admit, because it will piss off my friend and leaguemate who is a Buffalo fan. Yes, sometimes even Blood Bowl players are petty and immature ;)
If you're basing a team on the Patriots, wouldn't it be more appropriate if they were cheating goblins..?

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"