Help with making a green stuff base needed

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Help with making a green stuff base needed

Post by Digger Goreman »

I want to make a naga/snake/slug extension to the underside of the mini. All to go on top of a 30mm base. The thickness of the addition should be the equivalent of a 25mm base to reach the height of a second edition ogre. I have sufficient green stuff.

Can anyone give me general and specific tips on making the naga basing? In the end, he will be my new Beast of Nurgle :)
20180218_180942.jpg
The 25mm base to be replaced with green stuff, of course....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Help with making a green stuff base needed

Post by Digger Goreman »

Front view, if it helps
20180218_181937.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Help with making a green stuff base needed

Post by nyahoi »

If I'm understanding correctly, I'd probably do something similar to below. Since greenstuff is such a weak material, I'd build a structure that could support the weight of the metal torso first. Then add the greenstuff around it.

1. Pin to fix the torso to part 2. Definitely needed, and not a thin, flimsy paperclip! Should be of a stronger material such as brass or steel rod, and a good diameter such as 2mm. Example here. A good tip is to roughen the surface of the pin by rolling it over a file before gluing. That way the glue has far more to bite onto than the normally smooth surface, which makes for a much stronger join. I'd personally use a slow setting epoxy over a superglue as well.

2. Rod cut to the desired length for the model's height. For strength, the diameter of this should be as large as possible. Ideally you'd want it 'just' smaller than that of the model's waist, to accommodate the layer of greenstuff being added. I'd personally have this be made of styrene along with part 3, as gluing styrene to styrene with plastic glue will give a far stronger bond than gluing other materials together with superglue. Example of styrene rods here.

3. Something to hold part 2 to the base. As I've said this would ideally be made from styrene to give the best bond with the rod, but also to the base itself as that's obviously also made from it! I think it's really important here that the hole receiving the rod is the same diameter, and as deep as possible (taking into account the size of the tail it'll be hidden under). I'd probably make this by cutting a square of the desired size from some thick plasticard. Then layering copies of it on top of each other with plastic glue to reach the desired height. Then simply drill a hole the diameter of the rod into the middle of it, then glue it onto the base.

4. An additional pin for strengthening any of the tail that sticks out from the base. Greenstuff on its own would probably have a very good chance of breaking off at some point!

Hopefully some of that's helped anyway. A lot of that may seem like overkill, but that is quite a large piece of metal needing supported, and I wouldn't personally risk anything less. I'd also add a screw coming from underneath the base into the rod, but that one probably is overkill :D.