looking for a Decal Printing Service

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

looking for a Decal Printing Service

Post by El Hombre »

All,

Lately I've been experimenting with printing my own decals. Although I've followed every bit of advice I could find, I didn't get the results I wanted. So now I'm on the lookout for a compagny that prints custom decals - preferred a european one, regarding shipping costs...

anybody that knows one?

Reason: ''
Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: looking for a Decal Printing Service

Post by Regash »

I never worked with any of them but first one Google spits out: Wessex Transfers

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

Regash wrote:I never worked with any of them but first one Google spits out: Wessex Transfers
Your Google Fu is no question better than mine. But this one is located in Australia. I guess I'll pay more for the shipping than for the decals themselves... :(

Regash

Post by Regash »

In Australia?!? :oops:
I thought I've read UK...
Sorry.

Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

Regash wrote:In Australia?!? :oops:
I thought I've read UK...
Sorry.
The main page gives the impression that they're British, apart from the fact the Union flag is in the shape of a Kangaroo. :wink:

Again, I've not used them but fallouthobbies.com might be worth a look, I believe they're european based but I could be wrong.

GeordieBowl IX 2017 - Wooden Spoon
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

El Hombre wrote:Lately I've been experimenting with printing my own decals. Although I've followed every bit of advice I could find, I didn't get the results I wanted.
May i ask what problem you had with the results? Just asking because i tried it for the first time as well on my latest project and am quite happy with the process and results.
(Laser printer + transparent transfers applied to white, gloss varnished background using vallajo decal fix and decal medium)

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

Tim wrote:
El Hombre wrote:Lately I've been experimenting with printing my own decals. Although I've followed every bit of advice I could find, I didn't get the results I wanted.
May i ask what problem you had with the results? Just asking because i tried it for the first time as well on my latest project and am quite happy with the process and results.
(Laser printer + transparent transfers applied to white, gloss varnished background using vallajo decal fix and decal medium)
I used a laser printer to print on transparent transfer paper. Some of the print started to run when touched, so I got really carefull at that moment :) . Then i applied a coating (some pate I was advised) again: some parts began to run when i applied the coating (it was liquid, so had to use a brush). So on the next few I made a small blob on the print, but now that has dried as a small bubble (could have known) so they are too thick. So most of my problems are situated in this step - haven't got any further, and decal paper is quite expensive to try experimenting on.

Since it seemed to work for you - how did you tackle this? I just want a sheet of numbers :-? .

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Interesting, are you sure you got the right paper for laser printers? There are basicly 4 different types for laser or inkjet each with transparent or white background.

I got this paper for laser / transparent (sorry, german): https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00L8Q ... UTF8&psc=1
Printed a sheet of symbols using highest detail setting for photo paper on a cold laser printer (not used before that day).
Let the paper cool off untouched for a couple of minutes.

That's it, i got well usable decals. With laser printers, no varnishing/sealing of the decal on the paper is required (different with inkjet as inks are not water resistant).
Colors stayed on when you but the decal paper into water to apply. The decals are a bit thinker than the professionally printed ones, so i needed to work with a good amount of decal softener/medium and even that did not make the colors run.

Be aware that transparent decals should be applied to a white surface. (i painted white and gloss varnished the surface before applying the decal). If you put them on other colors like a black base, the colors/brightness of the decal will change significantly (as it's transparent).

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

BIG thank you man, i'll order some of the paper you linked me to, and have another go. That paper is much cheaper than the one I was told to use by my DIY-shop as well; that costed €8/A4!

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

Great decals, Tim! Can you share your template? I have Greebo's Knights and want to make similar decals but don't know how to make them the right size and shape.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Does anyone have a link for decal paper that will ship to Australia?

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

E99 wrote:Great decals, Tim! Can you share your template? I have Greebo's Knights and want to make similar decals but don't know how to make them the right size and shape.
The heraldy i used is personal to me, it's the coat of arms of my city of birth, the city where i grew up, the city & region i live in now ... in Germany every little village still has one. I'd prefer to keep that unique to my team ;)

I just took the heraldy i wanted from google/wikipedia. Then i made a blank powerpoint page in A4 size and pasted each coat of arms around 20 times and resized it to several sizes and aspect ratios. I measured the shield width/height on the yeomen and resized some to that, in PPT you can use cm/mm as size unit and it's fairly correct on the printout. Otherwise i went mostly by eyesight and also experimented with different design ideas on the tabbards and coats. Always keep 3-4 in the same size, because sometimes you have to use 2 halfs of the same coat of arms. In this case it's often easier to apply the full one and then cut it on the mini, for example on the Yeoman's shield. It also helps to have a spare in the same size in case you mess one up.

I have a fifth knight/yeoman pair i want to do a tutorial with. I'll do it when the team is finally finished (after Dungeonbowl).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Olaf the Stout wrote:Does anyone have a link for decal paper that will ship to Australia?
first hit on google: "waterslide decal paper australia"
https://drdecalmrhyde.com.au/product-ca ... cal-paper/

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

Olaf the Stout wrote:Does anyone have a link for decal paper that will ship to Australia?
Wessex transfers is located in australia. So I guess they will ship there as well 8) . They've been very helpfull so far!

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

The heraldy i used is personal to me, it's the coat of arms of my city of birth, the city where i grew up, the city & region i live in now ... in Germany every little village still has one. I'd prefer to keep that unique to my team ;)
Yeah, I get it. I would not use the actual heraldy, just the sizes. :) Again, great work!