Paints

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

wkdsoul
Rookie
Rookie

Paints

Post by wkdsoul »

I really fancy painting again after years of wandering in the wilderness.... There are countless threads on teams/models/sites etc and where to buy and build.

What about paints, is there a decent bundle set that contains a decent amount of useable (basic/generic) colours for the start box Orc/Human teams, or is it better to buy a few at a time with whatever layer/shades stage i'm up to?

I may just paint a set as Reikland and Gouged till i get my eye in again, seen some vids/guides etc but no decent pointers to paints :)

cheers TFF.

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Paints

Post by rolo »

I buy them a few at a time as needed. I use Vallejo colors, GW sprays and wash, Army Painter Aegis Suit and Anti-Shine spray sealant.

Vallejo sells a starting set, but I just went down to my local gaming store and bought the colors I needed. And then went back like 3 times to pick up stuff I hadn't thought of ...

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

I use Vallejo colors, wash and varnish and GW sprays for the base coat.

I prefer buy as rolo the paints I need at the moment.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

GW have a AOS starter set that is just on pre-order which looks to have a good range of base colour's, plus a shade that I think would give you some options for painting two teams....though you may want to then supplement this with a couple of greens for orc flesh and a human flesh tone. If you were going down the red v blue route you could also consider a brighter layer (eg evil sunz red, or alaitoc blue) to help highlight details.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ao ... v-rom-2018

£25 at GW, but can probably get it cheaper at independent stockists

Retributor Armour
Abaddon Black
Armageddon Dust (texture)
Kantor Blue
Reikland Fleshshade (shade)
White Scar
Leadbelcher
Mournfang Brown
Celestra Grey
Khorne Red
Nighthaunt Gloom
Rakarth Flesh
Bugman’s Glow

Roblematic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Roblematic »

I do all most all of my paint in the game shop I work in, that mean a. There’s tons of pairs already and b. A new pot of is less than 10’ away, so my experience isn’t the norm.

If your looking for a good starter set I’d have a lot ok at the army painter Meger paint set at about £85 I love AP paint, but be warned they need a lot of shaking. The best option is probably buying only a few paints at a time tho, cheaper and you don’t get swamped. If your looking to paint the starter set in ‘official’ colour you could check out the GW how to paint video I love them, full of helpful tip. If you go with the video you probably won’t want all the paints it says you need, some of them you’d only use a drop and could easily mix the colour/ignore the bit/ use a different colour, some of them are for extra detail you don’t need.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I also use Vallejo because I experienced GW pots to dry out very fast.

I worked for Ullises Spiele and I was lucky, as my boss gave me a case of paints for free.

So basically, I don't have to buy any paints anymore... ;)

wkdsoul
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wkdsoul »

Skitters wrote:GW have a AOS starter set that is just on pre-order which looks to have a good range of base colour's, plus a shade that I think would give you some options for painting two teams....though you may want to then supplement this with a couple of greens for orc flesh and a human flesh tone. If you were going down the red v blue route you could also consider a brighter layer (eg evil sunz red, or alaitoc blue) to help highlight details.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ao ... v-rom-2018

£25 at GW, but can probably get it cheaper at independent stockists

Retributor Armour
Abaddon Black
Armageddon Dust (texture)
Kantor Blue
Reikland Fleshshade (shade)
White Scar
Leadbelcher
Mournfang Brown
Celestra Grey
Khorne Red
Nighthaunt Gloom
Rakarth Flesh
Bugman’s Glow
Cheers thats an ideal starting point i was looking for, I've a tax rebate cheque due for a grand or so.. this will get the ball rolling nicely.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

That £25 set of GW paints, seems like a pretty good deal.

I've bought almost all my paints, a bit at a time. I only buy sets, when I can't get an individual paint I desperately need otherwise.

I was primarily Vallejo before, but now use a mix of Citadel and Vallejo. Vallejo has some nice colors, but base painting with their paint can be a pain in the rear. My main complaint with Citadel is those damned pots. Easy to tip over and prone to drying out. I transfer my Citadel paints to dropper bottles after they arrive. I've talked about that in my blog, or you can easily find tutorials on youtube.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

My preference is the Army Painter starter set that comes with 10 paints and a brown wash.

You do not need 40+ paints for starting out. Unfortunately Army Painter has had some issues moving stock, therefor a lot of the bottles you find in stores have sat in storage for too long and seperated badly, with all the pigment collected in a massive gloop at the end that was pointing down. This can't really be fixed by just shaking (well it can, but DON'T!), so you need to get some ball bearings to mix them easier. I use marine grade (very important so it won't rust in contact with water) stainless steel balls.

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

GW paints are terrible - avoid them. I have had many pots that I buy and dont open for 6 months and when I do, they are dried and useless.

I know paint shouldnt last forever but surely an unopened pot can survive stored for 6 months.

wkdsoul
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wkdsoul »

Just undercoat my first linemen in 20 years nearly. Went with the AoS pack and some varied Vallejo colours to start off.

Wish me luck :)

I'm so prepared for the team to look like a disaster from the off.. :lol:

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

wkdsoul wrote:Just undercoat my first linemen in 20 years nearly. Went with the AoS pack and some varied Vallejo colours to start off.

Wish me luck :)

I'm so prepared for the team to look like a disaster from the off.. :lol:
I get that feeling pretty much every time, before the first wash. Then it all starts to come together!