Unknown block die

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Loki
Legend
Legend

Re: Unknown block die

Post by Loki »

SimonSpank wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:Disgusting. That is one of the problems with the Blood Bowl hobby. People using others work to make a profit. I am pretty sure Whatball (the designer) didn't give permission for those dice.
I would be intrigued to know which dice specifically you are talking about here please.
Think that's in reference to Whatball doing the original 'dice' icons which FUMBBL uses and him giving no consent to the dice which are shown in the link in the opening post as opposed to the FUMBBL dice done by SunDevil and Spubbba shown in 2nd post which were based on his design and I assume consented to.

Reason: ''
Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
SimonSpank

Post by SimonSpank »

Ok cool, cos i thought for a second that i was being accused of plagiarism for my design. Rant averted haha

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Loki wrote: Think that's in reference to Whatball doing the original 'dice' icons which FUMBBL uses and him giving no consent to the dice which are shown in the link in the opening post as opposed to the FUMBBL dice done by SunDevil and Spubbba shown in 2nd post which were based on his design and I assume consented to.
I spoke to both Whatball and Christer to get their permission before having the Fumbbl dice made.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

SimonSpank wrote:Ok cool, cos i thought for a second that i was being accused of plagiarism for my design. Rant averted haha
Rant not averted, I am talking about you. You've copied another designers work for personal profit. All FUMBBL work was/is for the community. You've leached from this to pay for a holiday.

" I loved the look of the FUMBBL dice and wanted to create a set in honour of those."

"And remember, you'll be contributing to my New York holiday fund in a couple of weeks "

SimonSpank

Post by SimonSpank »

harvestmouse wrote:
SimonSpank wrote:Ok cool, cos i thought for a second that i was being accused of plagiarism for my design. Rant averted haha
Rant not averted, I am talking about you. You've copied another designers work for personal profit. All FUMBBL work was/is for the community. You've leached from this to pay for a holiday.

" I loved the look of the FUMBBL dice and wanted to create a set in honour of those."

"And remember, you'll be contributing to my New York holiday fund in a couple of weeks "
Weeeee here we go....

First of all, my design is 'in honour' of the FUMBBL dice, not a copy. Youll notice that the logos are totally different (or as different as you can make an arrow, a pow and a skull. Hell, theres even some exclamation marks in there). This point alone means im not ripping off somebody elses work.

The dice themselves are actually 18mm cubed, not the 16mm that the FUMMBL dice are, so again, differentiating.

I joined this forum very recently, which you can see in my profile, so didnt realise just how toxic it is on here either. My very few posts have been met with great opposition for no reason at all, my lego team and now my dice design. So i think in future ill just stick to the GBBL who a toppa set of guys.

EDIT HERE: The dice were also designed to be as clear as possible. At the time i remember looking for some pretty blockers but all the designs were too abstract at table length for me to purchase, so my design had to be as clear as possible for normal play, tournament play, streaming and low light situations. Ive not had a complaint yet!

And just to give a little bit of context as to the reason i designed these dice. Three years ago i wanted to die, and not just a cry for attention, as the people who know me know that i went through a horrific time in my life. The GBBL were a big part of me fixing myself (thank you guys, i love you). Anyway, i promised my fiancee that i wouldnt hurt myself any longer and that i would devote my time and energy to something i love. I set up a small dice company which featured my own design of dice. I didnt crowd fund, i didnt kickstart, i paid my own hard earned cash into designing, negotiating with a manufacturer, getting proofs, setting up a business, getting stock and paying for a mould. Which anyone who has gone through the process knows, it isnt cheap.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

How are you honouring FUMBBL exactly? FUMBBL is a non-profit community, playing the game. The designs and colour scheme were designed by whatball for the FUMBBL client.

Since then sundevil and christer sorted a real life set to help pay for costly repairs. FUMBBL works at loss. spubbbba then sourced homage sets in conjuction with FUMBBL. Helping the community, promotion FUMBBL and donating to FUMBBL. This is 'in honour'.

What your doing is taking potential dice buyers that would be giving back to the community.

Regarding whatball's design :

Black with the gold /yellow stars, white skulls a-symetrical, pale blue arrows.

Check, check, check, check. It actually took WB a long time and a lot of work to come up with all that.

As for the rest ; not for me to comment. Although i find the idea of lego teams interesting.

robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

#GBBL4Life

I think and hope that the confusion may be due to the second reply in this post, which shows two lots of fumbble dice. You have to click the initial posters link to see Simon's dice.

Clicking the link should make it pretty clear that his design is very different from the fummble ones and I don't think using the same colours would be classed as copying.

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Alright, calm down everyone.

Simon, I'm sorry you have the impression that TFF is a toxic environment. I cant make excuses for people getting that way, so I wont. It's not usually like this.

But if everyone can just calm it, think about what you are typing, and try to remain civil, that toxic impression shouldn't happen.

I think I'll lock this for a few days while everyone calms down. (Temp opened to allow Simon to post a defence, but staying locked otherwise.)

Take a chill people :)

If anyone has an issue with this mod action please report to another mod, via the report button or PM'ing one of them. A list can be found by clicking on the Members button at the top.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
SimonSpank

Post by SimonSpank »

I have posted to lunchmoney and requested that the post be re-opened because being accused of plagiarism and not having the ability to defend myself is wrong.

These are the dice in question, i think everyone recognises the FUMMBL dice and the second set is my design.

As i stated to lunchmoney in my PM, maybe the term 'in honour' was the incorrect use of language. Maybe 'tribute' is a more fitting term. At the time of my design process there were no affordable sets of dice on the eBay market, which is my sole location of selling. I wanted to create a set that general BB'ers could afford and access easily. Now, folks who already use FUMBBL as a manner to play online may know different, and of course they will support that platform. However, not everyone knows about FUMMBL. My design does help the website in that people may see my eBay page, wonder what FUMBBL is and go to the website to play (however, when ive tried to use the game ive waited for up to 2 hours to get an opponent recently, hardly accessible, in my opinion).

Absolutely the colours are similar, its because theyre different and obvious to read from across a table or over a stream, but that cant be construed as copying a design.

As i also said to lunchmoney, i am of course acting in my own interests. I spent a lot of money to design and order the design at my own expense and would ideally like to recoup that loss. I also wanted to set up my own business because since my breakdown i find it very hard to put 100% effort into my job for it to benefit someone else.

I'm not out to offend creators at all. I am selfishly trying to start my own business and not be accused of plagiarism, which obviously kills a new business in its tracks.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

After discussion, I've unlocked this thread.

A reminder - personal attacks, like the ones removed from Simonspank's post above, will not be tolerated. If they reappear, warnings and potentially further actions will be taken.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

SimonSpank has asked that his account is deleted, which I've done. I've kept the posts so not to make the discussion confusing.

As usual, any comments, please feel free to PM a Mod.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.