Skill markers

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Orcster
Experienced
Experienced

Skill markers

Post by Orcster »

So not been back into Blood Bowl for that long and been to a couple of tournaments now but also taking part in a couple of leagues. I’ve seen various different ways of marking skills (extra skills) quite frequently with coloured elastic bands. I don’t think they look good and obviously putting them on and off to change them for tournaments or leagues you risk damaging the paint or even the model with delicate ones like Skaven!
Has anybody tried any of the other systems out there. Something that will support multiple skills? My miniatures are all the newer 32mm bases. I quite like the look of the MagicWorks skill rings as they are interchangeable and very clear as well as supporting 4 skills per player. Anybody tried these or any others? Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Skill markers

Post by rolo »

Some people use hard plastic skill rings. They're more common in 25mm but do exist in 32mm (here for example from Gaspez)
They're more durable than the rubber rings and won't ever damage your model - you can just lift figures out of those bases. They do make your bases wider - using 32mm figures on an "old school" field is already an issue and the hard rings make it worse.

I use the rubber rings - they're inexpensive, and won't break anything if you're careful putting them on. I've found them perfect for tournaments, because even if you can give multiple skills to a player, you won't need that many colors - "Blue is Block, Yellow is Dodge, Green is Blodge". You'll have enough colors to deal with almost any tournament, although this breaks down in long-term leagues.
Hold your figure firmly by the base with one hand, pressing the rubber band tightly against the base with your thumb. Use your other hand to pull the band under the base and just pull it around the rim.

I paint color-coded dots on the bases of one team which I use in a league. This is less practical for a tournament however.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Todosi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Todosi »

Those Magicworks bases look great! Thanks for the info. I have used the Iron Golems skill markers to good effect, and they are reasonably priced.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I am also quite fond of my Iron Golems skill markers. You attach them to the base.
http://www.irongolems.com/store/accesories

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Orcster
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Orcster »

Saebelsultan wrote:I am also quite fond of my Iron Golems skill markers. You attach them to the base.
http://www.irongolems.com/store/accesories
Do you write on those markers to show what the actual skill is?

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

They do have a suggest color/Skill chart.
However, I just assign skills to the colors myself. I had neither problems in our league nor in (international) tournaments.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts