Are BB mini's getting worse

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Is the moulding quality of BB mini's worse than other GW mini's

Poll ended at Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:07 am

Yes, they take loads more preparation
46%
No, i think they are far better cast
11%
Same, they are no worse or better than rest of GW stuff
43%

Total votes: 28

ORTHODUB
Experienced
Experienced

Are BB mini's getting worse

Post by ORTHODUB »

Has anyone else noticed the amount of filing required on BB mini's it getting worse, or is it just me. Just finished fantasy dwarf army and all the molding were near perfect, hardly any prep time at all. Started painting my BB teams and all four needed exessive filling to remove mold lines :evil: . Has anyone else had this experience and thinks that BB moldings are inferior to the rest of the GW range of is it just me?. Remember this is a post on mould quality not how well modeled the mini's look, thats a separte discusion all together :roll:

:oops: I know this is old news but dispite the search option i still cant find any pics of the new elf team. its on the GW site but there are no images yet available. I think i remember seeing an elf catcher which was a very nice model but i cant remember where i saw it, doh. If anyones got any pics/links it would be apreciated thanks.

Reason: ''
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I Love the fact that fanatic are putting out new mini;'s for the BB range and i'll get them all but the quality really is not up to standard, too much Greenstuff required to put the Ogre team together, Khemri team awkward and fiddly to the extreme, Rotters & vampires undersized models. The New Griff and Varag oversized.

They need to get there act together and co-ordinate things better before the faithful have had enough.

McDeth,
"Can't Sleep Clowns will eat me"

"Who's that Reverend Green??"
ORTHODUB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ORTHODUB »

I agree i think that is is great that GW still suports these games, i dont imagine they make much profit from them either. Its just that if you have the resources of GW's production then surely they could turn a good job into a great job. I dont know much about production of mini's but surely once you have modeled and scaled the mini would it not make sense to produce a good mould?.

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

well Fanatic now have a dedicated sculptor in the shape of Mark Bedford so things should be improving. Although I don't think they are that bad... all multipart modles need some filing/green stuff.

Although I can see your point about the scale issue I don't really think it's THAT much of a problem - the figures are great even if they are 2mm too small.

ORTHODUB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ORTHODUB »

I dont think the figures are bad quite the contary, i realy like the new mini's. Cant wait to paint up the new vamp team' the scale think doesnt bother me all that much either. I just think they take twice as long as other Gw figures to file of all the mould lines, which to me is poor production not poor modeling.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

The New Vamp models look great, In fact i'd put them on a par with the Ramtut.

However scale wise they look silly IMO when put up against against othe teams

McDeth,
"Can't Sleep Clowns will eat me"

"Who's that Reverend Green??"
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Re: Are BB mini's getting worse

Post by Indigo »

ORTHODUB wrote: I know this is old news but dispite the search option i still cant find any pics of the new elf team.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/stor ... &code=4885

the us webstore is much better at keeping up to date than the Uk one...

ORTHODUB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ORTHODUB »

Now those i like...
Another team to add to me wish list after the vamps. I like the friday 13th look on the masks.
........but i bet they will be covered in lines that will take me hours to file off :lol:

KLK

Post by KLK »

I agree with Indigo: the US store has better pictures and stuff. But, altought this could sound strange, to order, is better the UK store, even to the people who lives in south America.

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

ORTHODUB wrote:
I know this is old news but dispite the search option i still cant find any pics of the new elf team.
...just have a look at my webarchive ... Long time while i promoted my own site :roll: :wink: The vampy team and the new cheerleaders will be online after next weekend, too. Just priming them... :wink:

The scale of the vampies is a bit to smale if compared to the other older 3.ed teams IMO. But still they are very well designed minis... also IMO.

About filings... the Ogre team takes a while of preparation... thats
true! :roll: The Vampires are OK.
Now those i like...
hm, so you are one of the few, which like this team. For the filing of the holes in their faces without masks you will need time and green stuff, too :wink:
Traveller

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

KLK... you living in THIS columbia ? Next to ecuador ? So you are the first southamerican BB i heard about ! :wink:

Traveller

boondog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by boondog »

Glad somebody else noticed it too, I thought I was getting old and cake-handed or something... but I recently bought a new casting of some BB minis and, when first perusing them, got out thetrusty old scalpel to whittle awaythe mould lines. Then the blade got notched, then the replacement blade snipped (and nearly took out my eye if I hadn`t worn protective goggles) and I ended up spending two hoursof my precious youth filing away the mould lines on a bunch of bloody linemen! Out of the box they looked like some weird sort of Chaos mutant, two players fused together one in front and one in back. Guess the mould halves have come off center during production or something... Still, sometimes I think that Mail Order sends the customers "miscasts" in the hope that theywon`t bother to send them back and ask for replacements... might just be me but I think that the store-bought minis in blisters are better qualitythan Mail order produce.