My Sad story, that has questions.

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

My Sad story, that has questions.

Post by Asperon Thorn »

So, when I took my family down to my mother's house I had planned on picking up all of my old Mini's. Most of which were unassociated one's but there were a few that belonged to games. Two, in particular, were my Battletech Mini's, and my BB one's. After hours of searching the garage, in the darkest reaches where things from my distant past ussually end up, I found my Battletech mini's But no BB one's.

I anxiously awaited the arrival of my brother, who often commandeer's things that I haven't used in a while. And when he arrived asked him if he knew of thier whereabouts. I found out that he did.

He had given them away to a friend that had asked for them, for free. A dwarf team, a Dark Elf team, Human, and Orcs, Gone. (He had done the same to a Magic: The Gathering Black deck that I had made him, and he had used many times and even won a local tourney. I could build pretty good decks, I just didn't enjoy the crowd of the game. But it was his deck so I only got pissed because he didn't understand the value of it.)

So now I am back to the drawing board. And have started painting seriously again. (Notice my irregular silence, on the board.)

This time I am going all out and using official GW paints and things, a first for me.

So. . .
What are the popular colors for. . .

The Ball?
Flesh tones? (De's, Humans, And Orcs, for now, but if anyone has anything else feel free to add.)
Any other common element that I had thought of but can't think of because of Keyboard Amnesia?

Asperon Thorn

Reason: ''
Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Is your brother still alive???

Galak

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Is your brother still alive???

Galak
Well that kinda leads to the second part of my story. I haven't played a real flesh and blood opponent since the stryro Astrogranite days, and those teams. (Mini's were all 2nd edition.) I had been looking for a "new" 2nd edition DE team for some time, just to try and paint it right, because the team he gave away was one of my early attempts at painting and, frankly, looked pretty awful. I wanted to keep it just for memories sake.

So, with my Xmas money, that I normally spend paying off Credit Cards that have been charged up for the holiday, I went out and frivoluously bought my self a new, factory sealed, BB game. I went to the local comic book shop, where I have had my ongoing drama with the damn pimply faces. (for those that have been keeping a bio on me, you have heard them mentioned.) This time I decided "to hell with them, I am buying it." The cashier (one that I hadn't seen there, yet) was very surprised that I was interested and pointed me towards the team boxes, Marked down to 35 bucks. Well none of them were teams I was really interested in. (Humans, HE, WE, Choas, and orcs) but he even offered to lower the price down to $30.

Come to find out, he owns the shop, And he has a DE team that he hasn't played in years. AND would be very interested if I did the work and started a league for the game.

Now, given that most comic book store owners tend to be icon's in the pimply faces lives (this one is no exception) I may finally get a local league up and going.

SO, I rushed home, to open my new Factory sealed box, in order to start assembling the plastic starter teams, and to teach my teenage sister-in-law how to play the game (practice for teaching pimply's) and played my first flesh and blood opponent in 12 years. (2-1 starter orcs over starter humans.) I skipped the rules, but I also got to see all the stories and fluff I hadn't seen in years.

But during the course of the game, we needed to reference the injury table. It was a one-off game, but in order to promote the interest I wanted to say exactly what type of injury it was. Hmmm. No injury table. Hmmm where in the F--- is sigurd's. Hmmm "What F---ing version is this? Why the hell is it telling me about Deathzone!?!?

I just bought a brand new factory sealed 1994 3rd edition BB game, off the shelf.

Well today I went into the shop to buy paints. The owner was there again, so once again I got to talking. Told him about my surprise of the third edition. He replied "Isn't that the newest?" (Immediatly, the thread about microcommunities flashed through my mind, yet dispelled because if this guy thinks third ed. is the newest, then it doesn't mean a damn thing what the BBRC does or thinks, so I still stand with the TBB majority on that red herring argument.) But I got to talking about the league again, and the possibility of stocking new BB stuff if I can raise significant interest. And I found out the woes of the Brick and Mortar shops, and the difficulty of dealing with GW. Because of which, he hasn't even tried to deal with fanatic, yet. But he would give it a shot, with sufficient interest.

My mission is clear.

What does this have to do with my Brother?

I figure, in order to raise sufficient interest I am going to have to bring some GOOD interesting teams, players, and Big guys to the table. I sent him a a list of mini's and links he could get me, to make it up to me.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

But let's not let the story detract from the real issue.

Flesh tones? What color's do you guys use?

Ball color? Spikes? skulls on the uniforms? What brush do you guys use for the little golden freakin' eagles? Etc. (I used to try and use a sewing needle but that idea sucked (I did have many mini's with nice black eye's though.))

Asperon Thorn

Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

The common flesh tone of my players is Lead. Sometimes Pewter. Ball? Plastic Grey. Spikes? Skulls? Lead, Pewter.

Brush? Hahahahahaha. I don't remember the last time I picked up a brush. :D

Anything I say is totally opinion and (knowing my luck) probably completely wrong. Keep this in mind.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Two ways of doing flesh I use: Bronzed flesh base, flesh wash, Bronzed Flesh/Bleached Bone highlights. I usually use 2 (or 3 if it's a fig with a lot of flesh like a Zon), but one's fine depending on how much time you wanna spend. I'd just go with one highlight on the plastic humans.
The other method I use is to blend up through Dark Flesh->Dwarf Flesh->Elf Flesh. They also do a Pallid Flesh.
I suggest you get hold of one of those GW colour charts that lists the colours they do with a suggested shade and highlight colour for each one.
(Example Bestial Brown shades with Scorched Brown and highlights with Snakebite Leather.) Whilst you're not going to get Golden Daemon results with a base palette, it does allow you to get effective and pretty good looking results quickly and straight out of the pots without worrying about too much mixing.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
wishing
Experienced
Experienced

Post by wishing »

Very interesting story. I hope you will let us know how/if it works out.

For human flesh, I usually mix bronzed flesh and bleached bone 50/50 for the base coat (just bronzed flesh is too dark I think). Then I shade that with a mix of red wash and flesh wash, and finally highlight with a slightly lighter version of the base coat. I think this approach gives quite vibrant, human looking skin.

For dark elves I always go for the pale, ashen flesh look. To achieve this I use a base of bleached bone with a little black to create a light grey. I highlight with the same mix with more bone, and do final highlights with pure bleached bone. I usually shade with a little thinned black wash, but it's not that necessary.

Lars

PS. Asperon, I incidentally named one of my elf blitzers after you due to lack of imagination on my part.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

if you havn't bought the paints yet i would recommend getting theh vallejo game colour range

you will prolly have to get them from mail order mind

Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Let me second Grumbledook's recommendation that you get Vallejo paints. Far, far better than GW. As for your brother, make sure you hide his body in a place where no one will ever find it. :D Ok I'm only half killing. I would make him ask for your teams back. Make sure he at least gets you replacements. I know that he's your brother, but that kind of stupidity is inexcusable.

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Yeah I have read about your guy's praise of Vallejo paints but frankly I am not a good enough painter for it to be worth the effort to get them.

As for getting the teams back, it would be impossible. I know who my brother gave them to. You see, my brother is kind of a tool, and the jackass friend that my brother gave them to feels no remorse for tooling my brother every chance he gets. I tried to get the Black deck back, years ago, and the guy had already sold it, and then refused to give me or my brother even a share of the money he made.

It's not a huge loss really. The only team of any value was the DE's. The dwarves for the most part were mismatched from several different manufacturers, that for some reason or another thier weapons broke off. And the Humans and Orcs were the red and Blue plastic one's from the Styro days.

The frustration was that my brother managed to get tooled again, after I told him to stop letting that guy do that to him.

Asperon Thorn

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Grumbledook wrote:if you havn't bought the paints yet i would recommend getting theh vallejo game colour range

you will prolly have to get them from mail order mind
My wife got me as my BIG gift this year ... the full 60 color kit of Vallejo Game Colour ... quite possibly one of the best gifts I have ever gotten from here.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/thewar ... 1&mitem=58

Galak

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

Uff,what a sad, sad story... :o

Few weeks ago a friend of mine visited me and brought two old 2. ed BB trolls. He asked me, if i please could repair some colordamages of the minis ... wow, i never thought, he still have them. I gave them to him as present maybe 10 years ago. And he is a nonplayer ! :wink:

@Galak
the full 60 color kit of Vallejo Game Colour
... if those will be enough to paint all minis of your collection ? :roll: :wink:

Traveller < checking his collection every 5 minutes >

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yer i got the full range of 60

its less effort to fill out a form online to get them sent to you than it is to get gw paints

they are also cheaper and you get more paint and better bottles

thats some skrewed up logic your running there asperon ;]

joker
Star Player
Star Player

Post by joker »

hum kill ur bro ...

may da WAAAGH ! be with me
KLK

Post by KLK »

I agree: you have to kill this man who said that is your brother...

on the other hand. just think that it is a new beggining: new figures, new teams, new painting...