Elven Union pitch rules

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Elven Union pitch rules

Post by mikeyc222 »

so, i actually kind of dig the custom rules for the Elven Union pitch, but i'm not 100% on the interpretation. i think the wording could be a little more clear... or maybe i'm just dense as that is always a possibility. you start by randomly picking which side you're playing on. after that:
Whenever the rules call for a roll on the Weather Table, instead of doing so roll a D6 at the end of each Drive (emphasis mine). On a result of 4, 5, or 6, flip the board to its other side before setting up for the next Drive.
i guess my question is... which is it? do i roll a D6 only when i would normally roll on the Weather Table, or do i roll a D6 at the end of EACH DRIVE? those are two different things...

any thoughts?

Reason: ''
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Elven Union pitch rules

Post by Jip »

“Whenever the rules call for a roll on the Weather Table”

Unless you roll ‘Changing Weather’ on the kick-off table, the rules haven’t called for a roll on the Weather Table, so you haven’t triggered this event.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

I agree in principle, but then it says at the end or EACH drive. I'm OK with either interpretation, I just want to know for sure which itnis. Lol
I reached out to Andy Hoare on FB. He said he was going to find out tomorrow and let me know.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Seems quite clear - once you've rolled "Changing weather" (either on the opening kickoff or after any score) at the end of each drive you roll to flip the board.
So if you have two OTS teams (say Skaven Vs Woodies) and the opening KO was weather you could potentially be flipping the board each turn!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

mikeyc222 wrote:I agree in principle, but then it says at the end or EACH drive. I'm OK with either interpretation, I just want to know for sure which itnis.
Yeah, good point. I'd interpret that as, once you've rolled a Changing Weather result, you then roll off to see if you flip the board at the end of every drive, which is weird.

My take would be:

You and I are playing, you score in T2. The kick-off result is Changing Weather. We do nothing.

At the end of the next drive (let's assume you've scored again!), we roll a D6, it's a 5, we flip the board.

Presumably, we then roll again on the kick-off table (no idea what happens if it's another Changing Weather!), as there's no kick-off event for the drive (Changing Weather being the result from the last kick off).

Glad I haven't got the pitch, it's ugly wording!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Just a pragmatic thought, this is probably due to the fact you've set your team up for the drive then roll the changing weather - if you to flip it immediately and it happens you'll have to pick up and reset your teams again. The models are being reset at the end of the drive anyway hence roll then.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

So after the board has been flipped, you don't have to roll for weather ever again. It is triggered once and any subsequent triggers have no effect (roll-to-flip condition is already on).

It is an interesting alternative, but also renders some cards and effects (weather mages etc) worthless.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I don't get it why would there not be another roll on Kick Off table, OP even says "Whenever the rules call for a roll on the Weather Table" so ...

1. Set up teams, etc
2. scatter ball
3. Roll on Kick off table, if Weather table comes up NOTE THIS, if not do what KO tables says
4. Bounce ball
5. Play drive
6. Roll to see if board flips if it does flip it (and Knockout rolls, bribes, etc)
7. See step one

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Loki wrote:I don't get it why would there not be another roll on Kick Off table, OP even says "Whenever the rules call for a roll on the Weather Table" so ...
I don't think anyone said there wouldn't be another roll on the KO table, just once the first "Changing Weather" is rolled (or any other reason for changing the weather if there are any?) then any further "Changing Weathers" are ignored, as the event (the board flip) has already been activated and there is no "trigger" in the wording to say it stops.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

So simply:

Can the board only flip once or does it flip back and forth?

I read it as the later so you keep rolling for weather and if you get change again you flip the board again. I only have to go on what is above though.

ps after re-reading above - and I read it as you only roll the 4+ for a possible flip after each changing weather roll i.e. 1 change changing weather = 1 possibility for the board to flip. If changing weather is rolled again the board may flip again.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Loki wrote:So simply:

Can the board only flip once or does it flip back and forth?

I read it as the later so you keep rolling for weather and if you get change again you flip the board again. I only have to go on what is above though.
The way I understand it, once the changing weather is triggered, you never roll for it again. So no, you don't keep rolling for weather. But I think you do roll to flip the board back and forth every drive after. Your interpretation do make more sense though.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I think the 'each' is talking about the need to do it whenever the Weather Table result is required rather than it's done after 'every drive'

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

From the quoted rules in the OP, once Changing Weather has been rolled, you roll each drive (as bolded). There's no ending clause in the quote.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

There are two clauses: 1 - Whenever a roll on the weather table is required and then 2 - make the roll at the end of the drive not when the weather roll happens. The 'each' is clarifying this happens each time a need for a weather roll is created not that each drive requires a roll.

I agree it poorly worded and 'each' should be either 'that' or 'every' to clarify if it's an ongoing effect or not.

I'd still put a small amount of money, up to 10p, on the intention being that the flip happens instead of a normal weather change and then only 50% of the time i.e. board may flip once or twice generally rather than a 50/50 chance board flips at the end of every drive after the arbitrary weather roll triggers it. If the later were the case, why even have the weather roll, statistically very likely to happen anyway, at all. Just say when using the board, 'roll a dice at the end of each drive and flip board if its 4+'?

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

I think you're both right in your own ways:

Darkson - RAW
Loki - What makes most sense (and possibly RAW)

After all this is supposed to be a fun/random new thing to try with friends, so I don't think it will matter either way how it is played.