Fouling by Numbers

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: Fouling by Numbers

Post by daloonieshaman »

Just imagine the fun of adding Foul to Piling On ... ?!?

Reason: ''
2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Wow piling on foul would be amazing! Maybe something to offset it would that if you fail whatever you rerolled you end up breaking your leg and get -MA :)

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hey Funnyfingers,
I think one of the keys to being a good BB coach is understanding the odds of what you're doing.
Sure you can beat the odds, or they can let you down - but in the long run, they'll catch up with you.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

plasmoid - that is exactly my point. I am not testing the odds/fate here. I go for 100% breaking armor. If you follow this chart the odds will easily catch up with you. I just think that an equal chance of being sent off and taking someone out is just not a worthy risk. Even at a minimum I go with a 4 breaking armor, but like I said I prefer snakes will still break.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Probably seen by a few people over at CyaBB. The horizontal axis is the assist-adjusted AV, SO is the Sent Off probability, SG is sneaky git, the vertical axis is the probability of the appropriate result (including needing to break armour).

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Uh, why is the probability of a break listed as the same on both sides? Is it possible that the chart only accounts for DP on injury rolls? Also, DP/SG would need a separate chart from DP alone, as if you were fouling net AV6 and rolled a double-3 (for instance), you would opt not to use DP so as not to get sent off.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

plasmoid wrote:Hey Funnyfingers,
I think one of the keys to being a good BB coach is understanding the odds of what you're doing.
Sure you can beat the odds, or they can let you down - but in the long run, they'll catch up with you.
This. Risk management is king in Blood Bowl, and managing risk means understanding probability.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Why not just bring back the old rules that a coach can argue the call?

Arguing the Call
Fouls

If your figure is going to be expelled for fouling (i.e. rolling doubles on the armour or injury roll) your head coach may argue the call. The argue the call roll may NEVER be re-rolled.

On a:
1 your coach is ejected from the game and the penalty remains.
2 - 5 has no effect.
6 The ref reverses the decision. The foul is overlooked or the special weapon can be re-used this game.

Each double incident is treated individually (i.e. you could reverse the double roll on the armour and then roll doubles on injury and get ejected).

Secret Weapons
Also, your head coach may argue the call for one Secret Weapon each drive.

Ejected Coaches
A team with an ejected head coach may not argue the calls for the remainder of the match. The team also gets -5 if Brilliant Coaching is rolled on the Kick-Off Table.

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

As a house rule I agree - I never saw the point of removing it in the first place, just Jervis' stupid drive for less dice rolls.

Wouldn't have -5 on the Brilliant Coaching though, I'd just count the Head Coach (i.e. the player) as a coach, and if they've been ejected, they just don't count (which is what we did in our Chaos rules).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Fouling charts

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Don't get the numbers and graphs..... but do love fouling (as many of you know) and from that perspective (none mathematical) here's a "variable" you seem to have missed:

What your fouling, and what your fouling with?

Fouling an elf positional on an 11 man elf team with a Goblin on a 15 man goblin team is worthwhile, in fact its generally accepted that its going to happen. If I lose said 40k gobbo but you lose the positional for the rest of the half.... I'm good with that, most stunty players are.

Also, it adds another layer of strategy to the game, I've had coaches stand players up rather than make a block or dodge with another player first as they worry that if the action fails they will have to burn a RR or risk being fouled, so that player is now not contributing to that turn as effectively as he may have before.

just my thoughts, sometimes you need to look beyond the maths and hope there is a "bigger picture" to see.

Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

glowworm wrote:Don't get the numbers and graphs..... but do love fouling (as many of you know) and from that perspective (none mathematical) here's a "variable" you seem to have missed:

What your fouling, and what your fouling with?

Fouling an elf positional on an 11 man elf team with a Goblin on a 15 man goblin team is worthwhile, in fact its generally accepted that its going to happen. If I lose said 40k gobbo but you lose the positional for the rest of the half.... I'm good with that, most stunty players are.

Also, it adds another layer of strategy to the game, I've had coaches stand players up rather than make a block or dodge with another player first as they worry that if the action fails they will have to burn a RR or risk being fouled, so that player is now not contributing to that turn as effectively as he may have before.

just my thoughts, sometimes you need to look beyond the maths and hope there is a "bigger picture" to see.
This is so true.

You need to understand the odds but that in itself is NOT the whole story. The fact that the opposing player know you will foul if you get the opportunity might have a big impact on how they play. This is something that is not directly reflected in just probability. If I have a player worth 40-70.000 with a chance at removing a 160.000 player it will be worth a lower than 50/50 odds I get sent out over my opponent, especially if I have a bench to replace him with and my opponent doesn't.

You also use fouling threats for hurting poor stalling plays.