Dump-off question

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Dump-off question

Post by Skurk78 »

I don't know if it's me who don't know how to read the rule book or if this is poorly explained in the rule book. When somebody declares a blitz on a player with dump-off, can the dump-off player then use the skill straight away or do you first move the blitzing player into the dump-off player's TZ?

Everywhere I've looked in the rule book it states that dump-off can be used whenever an opposing player throws a block on a player who's carrying the ball and has the dump-off skill. To me that sounds like dump-off can't be used until the blitzing player is standing in the DO-player's TZ throwing the block. I really hope I've gotten this one wrong and that dump-off can be used as soon as a blitz is declared on a BC with dump-off.

I really need an answer on this one, 'cause it's been troubling me for some time now.

Reason: ''
Death to the high elves. Dark Elves prevail!!!
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Dump-off question

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

You're right in your initial interpretation.

When someone declares a blitz, they don't actually have to throw a block at the end of their movement (strange but true). This is relevant to Dump-Off because it's used literally when the block dice are picked up and the target declared. So, unfortunately, you'll get that -1 to Pass.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:You're right in your initial interpretation.

When someone declares a blitz, they don't actually have to throw a block at the end of their movement (strange but true)
Useful for moving Wild Animals around.
Ulthuan_Express wrote:This is relevant to Dump-Off because it's used literally when the block dice are picked up and the target declared. So, unfortunately, you'll get that -1 to Pass.
But as you can only throw a Quick Pass (with the +1) it evens out. Unless of course your opponent is sensible and put a few assists on, in which case you get -1 for them as well. I find it's a rare thing for a DO to not fumble :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

*cough* Elf Catchers *cough* :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:*cough* Elf Catchers *cough* :wink:
Power gamer :wink:

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

hahhahahah.

Sorry Elf = Power Gamer.

You won't hear that often :lol:

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Clearing the pitch of power gamers is so much easier when they're AV7 :D

Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Smurf wrote:hahhahahah.

Sorry Elf = Power Gamer.

You won't hear that often :lol:
You've met Nazgob?

Anyway, in my post I was really only thinking of the Dark Elf Runner, who is the only (iirc) piece that starts with Dump Off.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:Clearing the pitch of power gamers is so much easier when they're AV7 :D
Why is it I can pitch clear Dwarves and not get a single cas on AV 7

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

@Uthuan
Thanks for clearing that up. Thought that was the way dump-off works,

It should've been obvious I was asking about the DE Runner. *Insert big mark for personal hint here* My sig.

I don't get the whole deal about elves being power gaming. I lost my first game with DE, then won 16 in a row, rretired the team. With my new DE team I tied my first game against a veteran HE team 1-1, and have since won 2 more games, 1 against 'flings (doesn't count, I know) and another one against another rookie DE team.

And if anything's power gaming it's Chaos Pact with their 3 big guys or Chaos with their 4 Chaos Warriors and a mino, Elves have only got ST3 ;-)

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

The simple reason for Elves being considered power gaming is the AG4.

"Hi, we're like a Human team only faster and you know what you do on a 3+? We do it on a 2+. All the time. With Agility access and 50k re-rolls. So there."

And... you've won 18 games out of 20 with two different Dark Elf teams and that's not somewhat overpowered? Hehe, because if it isn't, then I want you to teach me how to play to that sort of record! :lol:

Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

First off: You play a league with my 12-year old son :D He's actually pretty good. He's managed to beat me more than once with every other team. He thinks that my style of play just suits DE very well. What I like to do and what I think DE teams do very well is fight the ball down the pitch.

I play them hockey style. Keep the ball while I beat anything standing and when I've cleared the room I need, I attempt to move the ball with two long runs, a pass and a hand-off across the pitch for a TD. For some reason DE does this better out of the gate than any other team I've played. Think it's beacuse of the 4 blitzers and 2 WE. I actually thought Skaven would do it better because of the GR, but they lack the punching power to clear the path and humans lack the long pass.

Edit: Of course I don't have 4 blitzers and 2 WE out of the gate, but there are options when starting a new team.

And I know why elves are concidered power gaming because of the AG4. Which is why we have removed the nega-traits in our league (my kid and me). We feel that big guys hurt elves the most. I was only kidding about the Chaos Pact and Chaos stuff. Brute strength won't win too many games in BB.

Woolfe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Woolfe »

daloonieshaman wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:Clearing the pitch of power gamers is so much easier when they're AV7 :D
Why is it I can pitch clear Dwarves and not get a single cas on AV 7

Nuffle

Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:The simple reason for Elves being considered power gaming is the AG4.

"Hi, we're like a Human team only faster and you know what you do on a 3+? We do it on a 2+. All the time. With Agility access and 50k re-rolls. So there."
All made up for by expensive players.

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

Turin wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:The simple reason for Elves being considered power gaming is the AG4.

All made up for by expensive players.
Exactly...

IMO there are those skills that are 'optimal' you can use them all the time. Then there are skills that stop the bloody elves from scoring. I know, I play WE and I can stop other Elves from scoring... except that one time against High Elves. Suffice to say I have learnt my lessons and look at people defending against Elves, no go on set up deeper than that, you know, as you have seen before, again and again, I will punch through that and run up the side. So Why not set up deep, oh what the hell, I'll do what I have done before - I can't stop your elves from scoring - yeah I'm not suprised with all that guard and mightyblow, not forgetting those other teams with the same skills and Pile On. Then there are those orcs, really sneaky like, they have anti elf skills and that makes them tough!

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)