Hypothetical Dump-off situation

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chosen Warrior
Rookie
Rookie

Hypothetical Dump-off situation

Post by Chosen Warrior »

I found this in the Q&A:

"Q: If I use Dump-Off to pass the ball succesfully into the hands of another player waiting in the end-zone, do the blocking player still get to hit me before the touchdown?
A: Yes, but nothing more."

Now what if the hit on the dump-offer results in crowdpushing the player in the endzone receiving the dump-off? This situation probably doesn't come up very often, but let's say my guy doing the blitz on the ballcarrier has piling on, I would like to complete the block process to the end, follow-up the POW on the block and pile on before accepting the TD.

I think it wouldn't count as a touchdown, but I guess alternatively the receiver could score a touchdown, then roll for injury. :wink: Come to think of it, what about hitting the ballcarrier with a frenzy player, do you get to throw both blocks before the touchdown or just the first?

Reason: ''
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Re: Hypothetical Dump-off situation

Post by Asperon Thorn »

I am pretty sure that there are all kinds of rulebook quotations that would basically say it is not a touchdown. . .things related to actions ending, beginning, and when touchdowns occur.

I would, however, rule that it IS a touchdown although the player scoring would have to also make an injury roll as in any other crowd-surfing situation. If the passer gets knocked down. . or also surfed in the case of frenzy, then they would also have to do armor and injury rolls as appropriate.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
Chosen Warrior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chosen Warrior »

I agree with you, if I were to run a game/league that would be how the situation would be played. No matter what the official rules say the most bowly way to sort the situation is of course a crazy touchdown and maximum number of injury rolls.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

the Q&A at the end of the rulebook says you don't get the second frenzy block

so using that same logic it is a touchdown

though it does have some conflict with what you have put, I can't actually see that in the Q&A unless you are referring to an old thread?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

You would be able to use Piling On ... but Frenzy is specifically not allowed as it is a new block. The current block in motion must be completed.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

add ...
chain pushing the receiver into the crowd as a result of the Block. Does the receiver score and get the crap beat out of him by the crowd?

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

daloonieshaman wrote:add ...
chain pushing the receiver into the crowd as a result of the Block. Does the receiver score and get the crap beat out of him by the crowd?
Correct question. One block is enough to crowdsurf the player holding the ball in the end zone. Is this still a TD?

Smeborg the Fleshless
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

like I said, if the frenzy guy doesn't get his block, then surely that would make sense from consistency that the touchdown gets scored and the block wouldn't take place

sure it is a bit odd but scoring in the opponents turn generally is and that imo makes the most sense

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

The rulebook for Dump Off states that you work out the Dump-Off pass before the block happens, and that after the throw is worked out the block is made. What I can't find anywhere is where the catch roll gets made in this sequence.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

We are finding the most unlikeliest rules aren't we.

I would resolve that the blitz/block against the dump off guy goes like this:

1. The Blitz block
2. Resolve the Dump off
3. If caught in the EZ prepare to go through the end of turn sequence
4. Resolve block (now read the rules!)
5. If the player is pushed back into the EZ with the Ball Carrier is forced into the Crowd then it is not TD!!!
6. Push the player back - does it hit the ball carrier yes/no
7. roll for armour inury - is ball carrier in crowd, then roll for injury.
8. The ball carrier is not in the TZ at the end of turn - TD denied!
9. You do not score a TD if you collapse into the EZ from a failed dodge or go for it, you have to be standing to get there, then you fall down. Same as above.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

catching the ball is part of the passing sequence, as clarified in the Q&A at the end of the rules iirc

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Smurf wrote:2. Resolve the Dump off
5. If the player is pushed back into the EZ with the Ball Carrier is forced into the Crowd then it is not TD!!!
Not correct.

In your opponent's turn the TD score is an immediate thing. But the block in motion has to be completed which would mean that you'd be able to push the player with the ball into the crowd ... but it would still be a TD for your opponent.

You have to complete the block once it is started. Frenzy does not allow you to throw a second block because the 2nd block is a new block. You cannot start something new once a TD is scored. But you have to finish anything old that was already started.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

I'd address it as a TD only for the awesomeness of the action.

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Smurf wrote:2. Resolve the Dump off
Not correct.

In your opponent's turn the TD score is an immediate thing. But the block in motion has to be completed which would mean that you'd be able to push the player with the ball into the crowd ... but it would still be a TD for your opponent.

You have to complete the block once it is started. Frenzy does not allow you to throw a second block because the 2nd block is a new block. You cannot start something new once a TD is scored. But you have to finish anything old that was already started.

Galak
Sorry for bumbing an old thread, but I just saw this, and it's - well - a fun situation.
You write that the player with the ball could be pushed into the crowd, but it would still be a touchdown. So my question is; would the touchdown scorer (who's been pushed into the crowd) still be beaten up by the crowd? :D

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

el Superbeasto wrote: Sorry for bumbing an old thread, but I just saw this, and it's - well - a fun situation.
You write that the player with the ball could be pushed into the crowd, but it would still be a touchdown. So my question is; would the touchdown scorer (who's been pushed into the crowd) still be beaten up by the crowd? :D
Following the advice above I would say yes the player gets an Inj roll as his reward for the TD.

Basically once the ball is caught in the endzone the TD is scored but the block, any resulting armour roll for that and also any Inj roll for crowdsurfed players are all resolved as they are a direct effect of block that was already in the process of resolving prior to TD, you would not however resolve any scatter or crowd throw-in for the ball.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.