1 square passing and interceptions.

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

The Strange Dude
Rookie
Rookie

1 square passing and interceptions.

Post by The Strange Dude »

Firstly can you make a 1 square pass (as in catcher is in an adjacent square)?

Secondly can the person (o) intercept a pass from passer (p) to catcher (c)

oc
-p

Don't know if thats very clear?

Reason: ''
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Re: 1 square passing and interceptions.

Post by burgun824 »

Definitely yes to the first one. I believe yes to the second one too. Someone may want to check me on that though.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

CRP page 22 wrote:To be able to make an interception, the player must:
• have the plastic Range Ruler pass over at least part of the square the intercepting play is standing in, and …
• have a tackle zone, and …
• be closer to the thrower than the thrower is to the target player/square of the pass, and …
• be closer to the target player/square of the pass than the thrower is to the target player/square of the pass
In a one square throw situation, the only time the 3rd and 4th conditions can be met is if the pass is diagonal and the interceptor is on the square adjacent to both the passer and the thrower. For example:

Code: Select all

.IC
.P.
I = Interceptor, P = Passer, C = Catcher.

In the example from the OP, I don't think 3 is satisfied since the catcher is closer to the thrower than the interceptor is.

And yes, they are both one square away, but measuring is done using the range ruler, so that's rather irrelevant.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Geometrically speaking I agree 100%, but for the purposes of arguing this point I would remind you that geometry doesn't play a part in moving diagonally so why should it play a part in determining an interception of this type.

I would agree though that neither condition 3 or 4 are technically met just because it is impossible to be closer than 1 square. So I think I would change my mind and say "NO" to item number two now based on this.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

I can easily see a dude reaching his are across and snagging the ball

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

burgun824 wrote:Geometrically speaking I agree 100%, but for the purposes of arguing this point I would remind you that geometry doesn't play a part in moving diagonally so why should it play a part in determining an interception of this type.
Because movement is not passing - movement is not geometric, but passing is. Movement is carried out using squares, whereas passing is carried out using the range ruler - it even states this quite specifically on page 22 of CRP - "See page 5 for rules on how to measure distance with the Range Ruler to determine who is closer." Unfortunately, page 5 is missing in most PDF versions now, but it reads
When you are instructed to
measure the range, place the ‘0’ at one end over the centre of
the square of the player throwing the ball and the red line that
runs up the middle of the ruler over the centre of the square of
the player the ball is being thrown to.
So the answer to your "why should it?" is "because that's the way the rules say to do it".

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Geometry is used for this. You can only intercept a one square pass if it is diagonal and you are in the square next to both as Dode showed. Otherwise you are not closer to the catcher than the thrower is. (it is center of square to center of square distance).

This is defined at the beginning of the rulebook under the Plastic Range Ruler where it tells you how to measure "distance". That is why the interception rules use the word "distance" as well so you can reference the Plastic Range Ruler to know how to measure it.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Well when put so clearly it's OBVIOUS that I'm the idiot here.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

I know you wanted a spp, but why not hand off as the RR clearly touches the opponet's square on a diagonal

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
neilnickson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neilnickson »

he could of already made his hand off in the turn I suppose.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

daloonieshaman wrote:I know you wanted a spp, but why not hand off as the RR clearly touches the opponet's square on a diagonal
Good question. Better question; why are we attempting ANY of this in a tackle zone to begin with. Blitz that guy away first and save yourself the misery of inevitible failure (barring double skulls on the blitz of course).

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

burgun824 wrote:
daloonieshaman wrote:I know you wanted a spp, but why not hand off as the RR clearly touches the opponet's square on a diagonal
Good question. Better question; why are we attempting ANY of this in a tackle zone to begin with. Blitz that guy away first and save yourself the misery of inevitible failure (barring double skulls on the blitz of course).

There's a pro elf team in my TT league that runs dump-off catchers (that have NOS).

He will often sit them side by side to avoid the interception chance on the dump-off.

It's annoyingly effective.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

burgun824 wrote:Well when put so clearly it's OBVIOUS that I'm the idiot here.
No ... I'm guessing a lot of folks have no idea they are supposed to use geometry to play BB. :D

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

For the movement, though, geometry doesn't apply to BB: actually, moving diagonally costs the same as moving in a straight line.
That's a huge, huge flaw that nobody bothered to fix after all these years.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I don't know if I'd call it a flaw but it definitely is the argument I saw fit to side with on this topic.