Forfeit implications in fixed round robin?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Forfeit implications in fixed round robin?

Post by Wylder »

Hi Guys,

Probably this isn't really covered by the rules, but just looking for opinions.

We've got a small local league playing a fixed round robin. All of the games are done, except one guy has two opponents left to play. He's really busy though and unlikely to get his matches played anytime soon, so we're thinking of just abandoning them and kicking off the playoffs. Maybe the missing guy can rejoin us in the next season.

However, it's a pretty small league where everyone started with rookies. The two guys affected are both headed into the finals series, but they have effectively each had a game less to develop their teams which seems a touch unfair. To address this, we're thinking of calling their games a forfeit under the normal rules. This would effectively give them each two MVPs and two rolls worth of cash each. It's not quite the same as having played a match, but it's something.

In addition to opinions on this, the question on our minds is, should their MNG players be restored to health as well? It's not technically "a match" that they've missed, but they're sure to ask since those guys would have come back by the playoffs if they'd played a match - albeit with risk of other injuries occurring that can't happen with a forfeit.

Just looking for any points of view on this one.

Reason: ''
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Forfeit implications in fixed round robin?

Post by dode74 »

Personally I would give them what the rules say apart from the extra cash. I would also heal their MNGs.

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

So 2x MVPs, 1 dice worth of cash (+1 for a win?) and heal the MNGs?

Curious to know why you're against the extra cash?

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I'd probably go with the 2-0 victory, the TD's being randomly assigned to players.

1MVP, however your league allocates it

MNGs returned ( they have had time to recover)

And winnings as per the winner with +1 FAME ( so D6+2 with a re roll )

In a short league missing a match makes a large difference....

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I have done exactly what you proposed. It seemed to work rather well.

Also, heal the mng. Unfair not to.

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Perhaps heal MNG on all teams in the playoffs?

neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

I am assuming this is a table top environment where its easy to control all elements.

The fairest thing to all coaches it clear all MNGs going into the playoffs. Its true an actual game would give these two coaches a chance to clear their MNGs, but also would give them a risk of getting a worse or similar set of MNGs. Clearing them for everyone is universally fair and you can easily justify it.

I would only award one set of cash. They are getting cash at no risk of player loss, which is already a good deal relative to how every other coach got their cash during the season. On a one-time case its probably not that big of a deal, but as a permanent policy most leagues have come to realize its a problem to give out these extra funds.

As for MVPs and random TDs, I would take a look at what has been a "normal" amount of SPPs for a team to accumulate during a game to come up with the right number. I would err on the low side though as 1)there was no risk of player injury and 2)random SPPs are generally more desired because they are more likely to land on the hard to level players compared to real game casualty, passing and TD spps.

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Yes, tabletop. I'm the commish, so I can pretty much say/do anything.

Okay, having finally thought to check both rosters, neither team has any MNGs so that point is pretty much moot. I don't really need to decide anything there.

Probably going with 2x MVPs. It was either that, or MVP & 2x TDs, but the points are practically the same and with 2x MVPs they don't get any marks in the TD column without earning them. Anyone can get an MVP, but seeing a Chaos Dwarf Blocker with a TD shouldn't happen without a funny story behind it.

As for cash, I'll probably just be generous and give them the extra D6. For one team it's not going to matter at all (they just hired and fired a minotaur after one game because they didn't like it. Not exactly cash-starved) and for the other team he could really use the cash as he's carrying two journeymen and is one of the less experienced coaches so I don't mind being a bit unfair in his direction. Nobody else will mind.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Maybe just let these players have a game against each other?

They've played each other already, I assume, but this way they will have had an equal chance to level up and/or down their teams to everyone else, under similar circulstances as everyone else.

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Sounds good in theory, but the somewhat rookie skaven player struggling to keep a team on the field and is scheduled to play a relatively innoffensive pro-elf team, is unlikely to think that another match against the chaos dwarf killer team, is an acceptable substitute.

Fist of Gales
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fist of Gales »

The most important thing here is to make a plan for when this kind of thing happens in the future. As long as the league continues there are bound to be future forfeits, so whatever you decide to do here I would make that the rules for any other times it happens later.

In our league we used to use the forfeit rules from the book (x2 MVP and 2d6 winnings). Our league is large enough that tiebreakers come up when determining playoff spots often times. Therefore we decided that we would forgo one mvp and give the winning team two TDs so that their tiebreakers would not net a zero from a forfeit.

TL