Intentionally going below 11 players

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sv: Intentionally going below 11 players

Post by celticgriffon »

"Which is correct. If you can(!) field 11 players, you must(!) do so - which can be a real bugger when you have a secret weapon on the sideline. :D"

where does it say this in the crp? our dwarf coach wanted to field 10 players so he could sandbag his deathroller for the drive where" he received the ball.

thanks michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Sv: Intentionally going below 11 players

Post by el Superbeasto »

celticgriffon wrote:"Which is correct. If you can(!) field 11 players, you must(!) do so - which can be a real bugger when you have a secret weapon on the sideline. :D"

where does it say this in the crp? our dwarf coach wanted to field 10 players so he could sandbag his deathroller for the drive where" he received the ball.

thanks michael
It says in the first section of the rulebook; "Setting up the game".
The text reads "Each coach must set up 11 players, or if they can't field 11 then as many players as they have in Reserves [...]".

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Intentionally going below 11 players

Post by celticgriffon »

This being said, "What's the penalty if you don't field the maximum on purpose?"

Michael

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

celticgriffon wrote:This being said, "What's the penalty if you don't field the maximum on purpose?"

Michael
In my group? A verbal slap and told to put the rest of your team on the pitch.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:
celticgriffon wrote:This being said, "What's the penalty if you don't field the maximum on purpose?"
In my group? A verbal slap and told to put the rest of your team on the pitch.
This, with an added side of "if you keep trying to pull crap like this you can find yourself another group of players".

If you have a player that keeps trying to game the system like this add a house rule that any player that didn't take the field when they could leaves the team in disgust (i.e. removed from the roster) - he should soon get the message.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I doubt anyone in my group would do this on purpose. But I feel it is good to have a house rule for these sorts of things especially in a league setting.

I think if we make a penalty of an immediate loss of a re-roll and also one player in the reserves is ejected from the match for each player short that should deal with things.

Not sure if I should make this harsher via Secret Weapon players, however.

Michael

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Sv: Intentionally going below 11 players

Post by el Superbeasto »

celticgriffon wrote:I doubt anyone in my group would do this on purpose. But I feel it is good to have a house rule for these sorts of things especially in a league setting.

I think if we make a penalty of an immediate loss of a re-roll and also one player in the reserves is ejected from the match for each player short that should deal with things.

Not sure if I should make this harsher via Secret Weapon players, however.

Michael
I don't get the talk about sanctions and penalties. This is a rule. You either follow it or you don't play. Do you have special penalties for people trying to leave tackle zones without dodging as well?
If a secret weapon wasn't fielded when it should have been, it can't be fielded later in the game. Period.

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

el Superbeasto, you have a compelling argument. No - we do not have penalties if someone doesn't make their necessary dodge roll.

I guess coming from a sports (hockey) background my mindset is that if you have too many players on the ice you are penalized (when caught). But perhaps in the spirit of the game having too many in a wide zone, or too many or too few on the field, or not enough on the line of scrimmage should just be corrected instead of issuing a "penalty".

~Michael

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I think the rule for having to field 11 was bought in more to stop teams who had 1-turners and stars they deliberately tried to hide so that they couldn't be targetted.

I personally think that it is an unfortunate consequence that SW teams can be utterly shafted by having to play their SWs for what can often only be a turn. I don't have a problem with this for dwarves and their deathroller (who should just run a longer bench as insurance) but for gobbos it can be a game breaker. A gobbo team doesn't really want to have more than 14 players in the team so that they get the option of inducing 2 stars, and even if they are only running 2 SWs (saw and B and C), then it only takes 3 CASs/KOs for them to need to have to play their SW for a new drive (which is often just a turn), then be down to 9 players 2nd half and an almost certain loss.

Now I don't think SWs should be able to be hidden, but the rules as is really hurt gobbos (who aren't exactly a tier 1 team...) depending on whether they win the toss or not/suffer a blitz!

Plasmoids NTTBL amended Sneaky Git rule does help with this (Sneaky Gits can sneak back on on a 4+ roll as per KOs) although that does require skilling up SWs, which isn't easy.

I'd personally allow teams with stunty 0-16 players to have up to 18 or 20 player on the roster.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

That's why I preferred the old SW rolls - they weren't guaranteed to be sent off at the end of a drive.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Secret Weapons
Roll a D6 after the drive, if the roll is higher or equal to the number of the SW, that player can enter the new drive.

Sinnebad 3+
Bomber 4+
Chainsaw 5+
Deathroller 6+

If the player have the Stunty Skill or Sneaky Git Skill, reduce the dice with -1 (the player has either hidden himself among the fans or smoothtalks his way out of it it.)

If you use a Bribe it's a 2+, no matter what!!!

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I've never intentionally cut someone to bring my total below 11 unless they had a niggle or stat bust or something. However, with a wood elf team, I have not replaced injured or dead players and saved money until I was able to get a new positional. But I always took the journeymen because they soaked up hits for me.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup