Touchback with no players

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Touchback with no players

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Ok, this isn't a very likely situation but ... suppose one coach has no players to set up at the start of any given drive (and doesn't want to concede, for whatever reason), so the other player sets up and kicks the ball into his opponents half of the field, which is empty. Now, what happens if the ball goes out of bounds? The receiving coach is awarded a touchback, but has no player to give the ball to!

Does he just place the ball on any square in his half of the field and bounce it from there? If not, what happens?

Reason: ''
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Touchback with no players

Post by besters »

doesn't the opposition get a td and you move on two turns if you have no players?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, in the situation you outlined, the kick-off doesn't happen:
CRP, p.11, Restarting the Match wrote:In the rare event that one team has no players to set up after KO"d rolls, both teams' turn markers are moved forward along the turn track two spaces and if one team could field at least one player then that team is awarded a touchdown
But it could happen if they could only field 1 player and that players was removed by Throw a Rock or a Blitz, in which case it isn't covered by the rules.
I'd either offer my opponent the above CRP rule or allow him to place the ball and scatter it (ref throws the ball into his half).

[Edit] Slightly ninja'd by besters!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

there is the odd chance he fails to pick up the loose ball

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Darkson wrote:Well, in the situation you outlined, the kick-off doesn't happen:
CRP, p.11, Restarting the Match wrote:In the rare event that one team has no players to set up after KO"d rolls, both teams' turn markers are moved forward along the turn track two spaces and if one team could field at least one player then that team is awarded a touchdown
But it could happen if they could only field 1 player and that players was removed by Throw a Rock or a Blitz, in which case it isn't covered by the rules.
I'd either offer my opponent the above CRP rule or allow him to place the ball and scatter it (ref throws the ball into his half).

[Edit] Slightly ninja'd by besters!
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that part ... though I'm glad you're able to conceive an even more unlikely situation which does create the issue I came up with! :D

Anyway, in the 'one team has no players to setup' situation, can the team that's still on the pitch choose who makes the TD for purposes of SPP, is it random or are no SPP's awarded at all? And if chosen or random, can a player with No Hands be awarded the TD? :smoking:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

No SPPs (I didn't bother to post that bit, as I thought you'd check the rules for yourself ;)).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Darkson wrote:No SPPs (I didn't bother to post that bit, as I thought you'd check the rules for yourself ;)).
Nah, I'm lazy, so thanks for your diligence! :P