Jump Up and Stab (another one..)

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Jump Up and Stab (another one..)

Post by Arioso »

Stab - A player with this skill is armed with something very good at stabbing, slashing
or hacking up an opponent, like sharp fangs or a trusty dagger. This player may attack
an opponent with his stabbing attack instead of throwing a block at them. Make an
unmodified Armour roll (except for Stakes) for the victim. If the score is less than or
equal to the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. If the score beats
the victim’s Armour value then they have been wounded and an Injury roll must be
made. This Injury roll must ignore all modifiers from any source - including Niggling
injuries. If Stab is used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving
after using
Jump Up - A player with this skill is able to quickly get back into the game. If the
player declares any Action other than a Block Action he may stand up for free without
paying the three squares of movement. The player may also declare a Block Action
while Prone which requires an Agility roll with a +2 modifier to see if he can complete
the Action. A successful roll means the player can stand up for free and block an
adjacent opponent. A failed roll means the Block Action is wasted and the player may
not stand up.
Do i read the rules correctly that i don't have to make an AG+2-Roll when Jump-Up-Stabbing? As Stabbing is done instead of a block action and jump up description says if i want to do a block action i have to roll?
Or...(shiver)...am i simply not allowed to jump-up-stab?

Reason: ''
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Jump Up and Stab (another one..)

Post by Steam Ball »

You declare Block or Blitz Action to be able to do a block. First one requires the AG roll, but second doesn't. Then you do the block, but say it will be replaced with Stab skill, so you roll Armour.

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

But stabbing is no block and nowhere is stated (if I remember correctly) that stabbing is a block action. do you really declare a block action when stabbing?

So Sinnedbad starplayer would jump up stab on a 4+ ? I read the rules that maybe he doesn't have to roll any dice if he wants to stab.

The other option in my opinion is that he isn't even allowed to jump up stab if stabbing is no block action as th rules suggest (to me) - that is my initial question

If jump- up blocking he surely has to roll a 4+

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Steam Ball wrote:You declare Block or Blitz Action to be able to do a block. First one requires the AG roll, but second doesn't. Then you do the block, but say it will be replaced with Stab skill, so you roll Armour.
+1

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Arioso wrote: Do i read the rules correctly that i don't have to make an AG+2-Roll when Jump-Up-Stabbing? As Stabbing is done instead of a block action and jump up description says if i want to do a block action i have to roll?
Stab is not a Block Action

Must remember this is a difference between a block and a Block Action.
The throw a block you must first declare a Block Action. Jump Up trggers from this.
This then allows to player to make a block, or subsitute that block for another abililty that is in lieu of the block (ie Stab).

So to answer your query, you must make the AG roll to Jump Up + Stab.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I think you mean is a block action al?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

sann0638 wrote:I think you mean is a block action al?
Sure, why not ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

lunchmoney wrote:
Arioso wrote: Do i read the rules correctly that i don't have to make an AG+2-Roll when Jump-Up-Stabbing? As Stabbing is done instead of a block action and jump up description says if i want to do a block action i have to roll?
Stab is not a Block Action

Must remember this is a difference between a block and a Block Action.
The throw a block you must first declare a Block Action. Jump Up trggers from this.
This then allows to player to make a block, or subsitute that block for another abililty that is in lieu of the block (ie Stab).

So to answer your query, you must make the AG roll to Jump Up + Stab.

My fail, simply misspelled block and block action before which led to confusion. Stab surely is no block action on its own, but is it really part of an block action?

I think you are right with the rule, at least i think it is intended this way (to be part of a block action) but in my opinion the rules are not clear enough on this
The Stab description says exactly "may attack with his stabbing attack instead of throwing a block" - A block action is defined by doing a single block (page 7, CRP)?. But stab is just something else (an attack instead of a block).

So i wonder if the rule can be read that stab is no part of a block action, as the block action is defined by doing a block (and stab definitely is not a block). But if it isnt part of it then the jump-up description has no clear wording a) if stab even is allowed with jump up - and b) if it is allowed, is there an AG-roll necessary

hope i was clear enough as english isn't my native language (maybe this is my problem and for a native english speaker the wording is more congruent than it is to me). maybe i am just too exact in reading the rules with this :)

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Try thinking about it this way...

Before you do anying with each of your players you are supposed to say what he is doing (most of the time no one does and it doesn't make a difference anyway but for some things i.e. a Blitz vs Block and Hand Off vs Pass there are real consequenses). There is a limited list of things your players can do: Move, Block, Blitz, Hand Off, Pass, Foul. To use the Stab skil you either need to say your player is Blocking or Blitzing if he wants to stab, that is what determines whether he needs roll the AG+2 or not before anything else happens.

I'm afraid 'attack' or 'stab' is not one of your options for the player.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

+1 to Lunchmoney and Loki.

Stab replaces a block, but the only way to make a block* is by first declaring a Block Action or a Blitz Action. If you haven't declared one of those two actions you don't have a block to replace.
Jump Up specifically mentions a Block Action, not block.

* Ignoring Ball & Chain.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

Jup as i said i always played it this way and i think it is intended this way.

Got another puzzling one regarding to stab....

as stab is an extraordinary skill and those skills even work when prone or stunned ("only extraordinary skills work when a player is prone or stunned" - page23 lrb)

....do i really have to be standing next to an opponent to stab or can i stab while prone (or even stunned) ? ... :D :D

(Same answer than before i think as if you say stab is part of an block action a player has to stand up before takeing an Action (page11 lrb)

But still a funny thing to think about .... lying on the ground and putting a dagger in an opponents heel :D

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Same answer than before i think as if you say stab is part of an block action a player has to stand up before takeing an Action (page11 lrb)
This, almost: it's replacing a block, not a Block Action; this means you can use it on either a Block Action or a Blitz Action instead of doing the actual block (i.e. rolling the dice) itself. You can't block if prone, so you can't stab if prone:
LRB6 page 11 wrote:While Prone, the player loses his tackle
zones and may do nothing before standing up at a cost of three
squares of his movement when he next takes an Action.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

If there is ever a LRB7, and someone opposes the idea of renaming Actions, or how they are defined, to avoid meaning overload... he shall copy by hand all the threads where the issue appears, like this one. Then if the opposition has not changed mind, just ignore the person, as clearly he just loves to waste time. :smoking: