Chainsaw and claw

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Chainsaw and claw

Post by Manuel »

Hi there!

I have a question that may sound strange, but trust me, it does have sense:

Do the effects of chainsaw and claws work together? As in: Breaking Av 7 with +3 in the roll dice.

I don't have right now the english version of the rules, but with the spanish translation of the CRP, I understand the following:

1) When the player with chainsaw and claws makes a block action, he does not make a block, using the chainsaw instead. Therefore, claw won't be used, as they need someone to be knocked down as a result of a block.

2) If someone blocks a guy with both chainsaw and claw, and as a result of the block the blocker gets knocked down, then BOTH skills would apply.

Thinking about that let me wondering about other twists of the rules.

Argument 1) makes me think that Chainsaw can be used with Multiple Block the same way that Stab does. When reading the skills description, both chainsaw and stab speak in the same terms about the "not-throw-a-block-instead-roll-armour".

When a player with Chainsaw block another guy with Chainsaw, the one being knocked out would ad... ¿+6? to the armour roll. I don't see a non stacking specification anywhere, so...

And finally, you may be wondering in what circumstance could a player have chainsaw and claw at the same time, as the gobbling looney doesn't have access to Mutation skills. Well, last weekend I was in a tournament with some particular house rulls that allowed this situation... but still: The special cards from Good Karma, 100K. The 5 of hearts. It allows you to choose one of your players and give him a chainsaw. Problem solved!

Reason: ''
neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Chainsaw and claw

Post by neverworking »

the rules state specifically it can not be used with multi block.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I think you got this bit, basically Claw and Chainsaw work on two different things, with a Chainsaw you make an armour rolls and add +3, the player isn't knocked down unless you beat the armour roll. Claw works when someone is knocked down as part of a block and affects the armour roll. By the time a player is knocked down by a Chainsaw you have already done the armour roll.

In your example of tournamnet or card allowing Chainsaw and Claw on the same player: a player with Chainsaw CANNOT block he must attack with the Chainsaw, this is part of the rules text, therefore again Claw won't be used as the players armour is either broken or he isn't knocked over.

Same with two Chainsaws, there are only two things can happen with that; either the first one kicks-back so he adds his own +3 to the armour roll or he doesn't kick-back and does the armour rolls for the 2nd Chainsaw and he adds his +3. There is no way for the two chainsaws to get a 'Both Down' as the Chiansaw action replaces the block and therefore no way to have both +3 and stack them.

As neverworking says from Chainsaw rules text... "...This skill may only be used once per turn (e.g. cannot be used with Frenzy or Multiple Block) and if used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it..."

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Only time Claw and Chainsaw can interact is if a Claw player blocks a Chainsaw player and knocked them down. Then they would both be in effect.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Chainsclaw :)

Chainsclawpomb!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

Thank you guys, much clearer now!

But still... now I have imaginated just another ultra crazy thing:
What if I play goblins, get the said special card, and... gave Chainsaw to the Fanatic!
Now that I think about it, it's just perfect. If someone blocks you, you still have St7. And you could make 3 armour rolls with +3 on each of them! (Of course, if you manage not to split yourself in two in the process).

And then Go for it 2 times more, keep not rolling 1's, and paint the whole pitch in red!

Hey but yes, the "No hands" skills does not make you unable to wield more than one secret weapon, so you would only get sent out by the referee once! I guess there's one reason for that cards not be yet 100% implemented on fumbbl ¡^__^

Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

And yes, Chainsaw can only be used once per turn... but the Fanatic has still to move. And when he does, he blocks. And he cannot block, as he has a chainsaw, so he has to use it.

Oups... guess that has to be some kind of bug in matrix.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Manuel wrote:Oups... guess that has to be some kind of bug in matrix.
nope, Ball and Chain can only take a Move Action, a Chainsaw can only be used as part of a Block Action or Blitz Action, if you give a Chainsaw to a Fantic he can't use the Chainsaw, even once.

The Fanatic gets to make a block as part of his Move Action but it's not a Block Action

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Maybe I'm a bit off, but unless a specific tournament set allows you to give a chainsaw to a player (BAWSH Bowl) comes to mind, I don't think this situation would ever come up, right? There's no way to gain chainsaw unless you house rule it. Or have I not had enough coffee yet?

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Special card, as Manuel said.

And Loki is correct (again).

You are correct that the B&C player could technically use Chainsaw when they're blocked but a) how often does someone block your B&C and b) seems a bit of a waste of a card.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

Yes, I thought about that too... but the skill says, literally:
"A player armed with a chainsaw must attack with it instead of making a block as part of a Block or Blitz Action. When the chainsaw is used to make an attack, roll a D6 instead of the Block dice."

It says that the player must use it as part of a Block action. Not that he can use it only as part of a Block action.

And the part of "when is used to make an attack" I think is out of the "Block action" or "move action" consideration. It could be even interpreted as if he could choose whether to use it or not, as the "attack" in the move action is not part of a Block nor Blitz action.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

player armed with a chainsaw must attack with it instead of making a block as part of a Block or Blitz Action
This means he must be making a block as a part of a Block or Blitz action in order to use the chainsaw.
IF ([Block Action] OR [Blitz Action]) AND [blocking] THEN [Use Chainsaw]

If either of the dependencies are not met then no chainsaw is used.

Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

XD

IF ([Block Action] OR [Blitz Action]) AND [blocking] THEN [Use Chainsaw] Ok, that's true.

What about the part of "When the chainsaw is used to make an attack"? This is pretty general, and does not refer to any type of actions.

IF ([Attack with chainsaw]) THEN [Roll 2D6]

It says when the player MUST use it. Not that he cannot use it in any other circumstances.

If the Creators would have wanted us to do it as you suggest, They would have stated also "When the chainsaw is used to make an attack as a part of a block action".

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Manuel wrote:XD

IF ([Block Action] OR [Blitz Action]) AND [blocking] THEN [Use Chainsaw] Ok, that's true.

What about the part of "When the chainsaw is used to make an attack"? This is pretty general, and does not refer to any type of actions.

IF ([Attack with chainsaw]) THEN [Roll 2D6]

It says when the player MUST use it. Not that he cannot use it in any other circumstances.

If the Creators would have wanted us to do it as you suggest, They would have stated also "When the chainsaw is used to make an attack as a part of a block action".
Edit: unnessessry sentence removed here

The sentence you are referring to directly follows the first, to attack with the chainsaw you must be using a Block or Blitz action, that's clear in the first sentence. In the next sentence the use of the attack is repeated it would be poor english to double the length of the sentence just because someone might try to ignore the sentence immediately preceding it to suggest alternate uses.

Try looking at it the other way; the rules say that the Chainsaw can be used during a Block Action and Blitz Action, it does not say it can be used during a Move Action. It does not say replace any block, it says replace the block that is part of a Block Action or Blitz Action.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ball & Chain specifically says it may attack as part of a Move action.
Chainsaw doesn't. It says as part of a Block or Blitz action.

Perhaps the Spanish language version hasn't been translated correctly?