Ball and Chain AND Stab?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Ball and Chain AND Stab?

Post by Manuel »

Hi there again!

Recently I posted here a question regarding the use of chainsaw and claws together, wich was rapidly answered, and degenerated into some rambling about the combination of ball and chain and chainsaw.

I was correctly told that Chainsaw can only be use when an attack is made as part of a Block or Blitz action, and as the Ball & Chain player can only make movement actions, it wouldn't be possible to hack multiple times. So far, everything is clear.

Now I was thinking a bit more about strange situations... and ended up reading the Stab skill. It does not have the same limitation as Chainsaw (useable only as part of a Block or Blitz action). Instead, it says it can be used when throwing a block (much generic as Block Action, as it seems), which is the same that is said a Ball & Chain player does when he moves into an occupied square.

As far as I know, it is not possible to get a player with both Ball & Chain and Stab skills, as there is no special card that allows you to give those secret weapons to a player. I do think, however, that it is worth some reflexion about it for hypothetical future versions of the rulebook or, more likely, if some tournament organizer decides it would be a good idea for a house rule allowing you to choose one of your players and give him either Ball & Chain or Stab.

So, what do you think?

P.D.: Sorry for the crappy english. I'm at work and cannot re-read and correct myself properly.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Ball and Chain AND Stab?

Post by lunchmoney »

Pretty clear to me;
Manuel wrote:As far as I know, it is not possible to get a player with both Ball & Chain and Stab skills,.
If it exists only in the realms of House Rules then it can do whatever the House Ruler wants it to do.

Stop trying find holes in a perfect system* :lol:

*may not be perfect

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

It is possible if you play the Chaos Cup (as described in the Rulebook) with a Goblin team, win it, get one of the Chaos Gifts on your Fanatic and choose to take Stab instead of, say, Claw.

If this does occur, then yes, I believe you can use stab on any and all of the Fanatic's blocks, since the Ball and Chain skill says "If during his Move Action he [the player with the Ball and Chain skill] would move into an occupied square then the player will throw a block following normal blocking rules ..." and the Stab skill says "This player may attack an opponent with his stabbing attack instead of throwing a block." Since both skills refer to 'throwing a block' Stab can be used with a Ball and Chain.

Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

Yesssss! You just made my monday wonderful! That was the hole I was dreaming about!

Thank you Sir!

P.D.: I know, I get amused by strange things... but hey, there's no harm in these mental excercises ; )

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Manuel wrote:Yesssss! You just made my monday wonderful! That was the hole I was dreaming about!

Thank you Sir!

P.D.: I know, I get amused by strange things... but hey, there's no harm in these mental excercises ; )

LOL! :D

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:It is possible if you play the Chaos Cup (as described in the Rulebook) with a Goblin team, win it, get one of the Chaos Gifts on your Fanatic and choose to take Stab instead of, say, Claw.
This would be illegal. Chaos Cup win allows mutations, not extraordinary skills.

Ball & Chain and Stab are implicitly mutually exclusive without house rules. As such, the first answer to this thread is the most relevant one.
lunchmoney wrote:If it exists only in the realms of House Rules then it can do whatever the House Ruler wants it to do.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Wylder wrote:This would be illegal. Chaos Cup win allows mutations, not extraordinary skills.
I'm afraid you're incorrect on this one Wylder:
and will reward the players immediately with special Chaos gifts as a sign of their favour. D3 random players may immediately
take any Mutation skill, Hypnotic Gaze, Stab, or Regeneration in addition to any skills they already possess

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

It's even 100% fluff respectul, attaching a Dagger to your Ball and Chain.

Well, at least it is more legit than all the Quorn stuff.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

God Karma card Stileto ;-)