Chainsaw against chainsaw, the double chainsaw trick

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Chainsaw against chainsaw, the double chainsaw trick

Post by Steam Ball »

When two players with chainsaw "collide", you roll D6 to see which one gets hit. But does the victim suffer a +6 armour roll, just a single +3 roll, or two rolls with +3 each?
Make an Armour roll for the player hit by the chainsaw, adding 3 to the score. If the roll beats the victim’s Armour value then the victim is Knocked Down and injured – roll on the Injury table. If the roll fails to beat the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect.
if a player holding a chainsaw is Knocked Down for any reason, the opposing coach is allowed to add 3 to his Armour roll to see if the player was injured.
And what would be the result in case of passing the roll(s)? Stays on pitch standing? Flat on the ground?

Reason: ''
Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Chainsaw against chainsaw, the double chainsaw trick

Post by Wylder »

It's +3.

Being hit with a chainsaw allows an armor roll with +3. This modifier applies. If the armor roll passes, you are then knocked down and go straight to injury. Theoretically any armor roll occurring as a result of this knockdown would also have +3 for being knocked down with a running chainsaw, but there isn't an armor roll to modify.

If this +3 armor roll fails, you aren't knocked down, so don't apply any other +3 modifier.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Wylder wrote:If this +3 armor roll fails, you aren't knocked down, so don't apply any other +3 modifier.
I don't mean to be rude but this is nonsense.

You get knocked down, meaning the player falling to the ground, and then the armor roll is made.
Icepelt CRP, page 11 wrote:INJURIES
Unless the rules state otherwise, any player that is Knocked Down may be injured. The opposing coach rolls two D6 and adds their scores together in an attempt to try to beat the Knocked Down player’s Armour value. If the roll succeeds, then the opposing coach is allowed to roll on the Injury table in the next column to see what injury the player has suffered.
Players can be knocked down, armor roll fails and they stand up again in their next turn.
All the chainsaw skill does is replace the block dice roll with a D6 roll, failing only on a 1, otherwiese being a knockdown.

As for the chainsaw wielding players...
Iceplet CRP, page 64 wrote:Chainsaw (Extraordinary)
A player armed with a chainsaw must attack with it instead of making a block as part of a Block or Blitz Action. When the chainsaw is used to make an attack, roll a D6 instead of the Block dice. On a roll of 2 or more the chainsaw hits the opposing player, but on a roll of 1 it ‘kicks back’ and hits the wielder instead! Make an Armour roll for the player hit by the chainsaw, adding 3 to the score. If the roll beats the victim’s Armour value then the victim is Knocked Down and injured – roll on the Injury table. If the roll fails to beat the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. A player armed with a chainsaw may take a Foul Action, and adds 3 to the Armour roll, but must roll for kick back as described above. A running chainsaw is a dangerous thing to carry around, so if a player holding a chainsaw is Knocked Down for any reason, the opposing coach is allowed to add 3 to his Armour roll to see if the player was injured. However, blocking a player with a chainsaw is equally dangerous! If an opponent knocks himself over when blocking the chainsaw player then add 3 to his Armour roll. This skill may only be used once per turn (e.g., cannot be used with Frenzy or Multiple Block) and if used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it. Casualties caused by a chainsaw player do not count for Star Player points.
Yes, you could argue that both modifiers apply, resulting in a +6 to the armor roll.
But I don't think this is what this rule means. Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure and this is an iinteresting problem.
Incredible to think that, in over 30 years, no two chainsaw players ever went for each others throats! :orc:

Having to suffer two chaninsaw blades resulting in a +6 would definitely make sense.
In my opinion, though, I would only use a +3 modifier.

I think we need Galak to tell us what will be the correct way to handle this.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:
Wylder wrote:If this +3 armor roll fails, you aren't knocked down, so don't apply any other +3 modifier.
I don't mean to be rude but this is nonsense.

You get knocked down, meaning the player falling to the ground, and then the armor roll is made.
Not nonsense at all - re-read the Chainsaw rules and the quote - if you don't break armour the chainsaw doesn't knock you down.

I think you're answering a question that wasn't asked and wasn't answered.

As for needing Galak to answer - why? Have you lost the ability to read the rules?

Chainsaw 1 hits Chainsaw 2.
Chainsaw 1 players rolls against AV with a +3 modifier.
IF the AV roll breaks AV then Chainsaw B is Knocked Down - at this point, Chainsaw B would normally take a AV roll at +3 but their armour has already been broken.
Chainsaw 1 player rolls Injury.

There's no way reading through the rules can give a +6 modifier.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Would that mean that you won't get a +3 for fouling a player with a chainsaw as they aren't knocked down?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Correct.

[Edit] Ooh.... A Wrestle, Jump Up chainsaw player... ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:I think you're answering a question that wasn't asked and wasn't answered.
You're right, I completely misread the skill description somehow.
Apologies.

Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

Edit: Reading fail. Kickback doesn't knock the chainsaw user over until after the armor roll, so chainsaw on chainsaw action doesn't change even if you get a kickback, it's still armor at +3. Guess if I think I've spotted something really clever after midnight, I should probably go to bed and reevaluate in the morning...

Aside: reading the rules this closely has made me realise you have to use the saw. I used to think you had the option to just block normally...

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Yep, it's 'a taste of your own medicine' if you kickback - you roll for the Chainsaw holder's armour with a +3. if you 'succeed' the Chainsaw holder takes an Inj roll, if you fail to break armour then nothing more happens. So if Chainsaw wielder breaks his armour its a Turnover as he is "Knocked Down" if he fails to break armour you can continue with your turn.

ps I think under older rules set you were allowed to choose to us the Chainsaw or not but current rules have the "must " in the skill description

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.