Journeymen question

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Journeymen question

Post by frogboy »

I think it could be quite funny and fluffy to field a team entirely of JM thralls. Then foul every turn muhahahaha (smiley devil face)

:lol:

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

1) You are never forced to buy a player
2) If you have less than 11 players during the post game to play the next match you MAY get free Journeymen of a quantity up to 11 (and you do not even have to take up to the full 11) and you don't have to take Journeymen at all if you do not want.
3) If you can buy a player ... you do not have to and you can still take Journeymen as a result.

Okay the above is the current CRP rules.

Now opinion:
4) The "problem" being discussed here is because JJ destroyed the Bank which would have fixed the damn problem you are saying is there. It is what happens when the man you made the great rule about not putting in untested rules into the rulebook suddenly goes against his own rules in a single moment and throws out a tested rule to put in one he comes up with in the sprue of the moment.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

I'm a big fan of the Bank rule. It is simple. It keeps teams from using journeymen while saving up mountains of cash. We use it in our league.

Setting the limit at 150k allows a coach to replace any player without penalty, but not so much that they can replace their entire team! :lol:

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Maybe FUMBBL should not give you all JMs CRP allows if you have money to buy the most expensive positional in the roster. If you have money for one of those (which could mean money for 2-4 linemen or even common positionals, specially as you just also got earnings from last match, so from being 10K below limit you could go 60K over), but need two JM, you can get only one. If you have money for 2, and have 4 slots free, you get 2 max.

Fluff: JMs like to get experience, but they will not play for those teams that are using them as pure cannon fodder and only care about a small group of super stars. So it can be hard to find enough candidates.

That would get the point across, without having to constantly check teams and then PM coaches.

(Or go with Bank :orc: )

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

ChenZhen wrote:Setting the limit at 150k allows a coach to replace any player without penalty, but not so much that they can replace their entire team! :lol:
And I have agreed based on feedback from leagues still using it that 150k is a good number to use for the bank. My two biggest things I wish I could change to CRP is putting back in the bank at 150k and some change to CPoMB (after all the debate I think the easiest change is just to make it so that the player can choose to use Claw, MB or Po for the armour (just one) and then Po or MB on the Injury (just one and only if the not already used on armour). (not wanting to debate this ... just making the one time thread statement).

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Well honestly I see no need for the bank rule. On FUMBBL there are loads of bash teams with 2 million + in treasury but with nothing to buy... but for some reason the powers that be think that Elf teams should be broke all the time.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
ChenZhen wrote:Setting the limit at 150k allows a coach to replace any player without penalty, but not so much that they can replace their entire team! :lol:
And I have agreed based on feedback from leagues still using it that 150k is a good number to use for the bank. My two biggest things I wish I could change to CRP is putting back in the bank at 150k and some change to CPoMB (after all the debate I think the easiest change is just to make it so that the player can choose to use Claw, MB or Po for the armour (just one) and then Po or MB on the Injury (just one and only if the not already used on armour). (not wanting to debate this ... just making the one time thread statement).
Hi Galak - 2 things I liked from previous versions of the P-On rule were (a) Piling On before making the armour roll, and (b) the link between Strength and P-On.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Journeymen question

Post by TalonBay »

I've never understood the bank rule for any sort of fluff reason, the game result would seem to bias against expensive low armour teams when they're the ones that don't build up as huge treasuries anyway. Don't mind the idea of something that limits the cash teams hold but the bank never struck me as a good answer

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

TalonBay wrote:I've never understood the bank rule for any sort of fluff reason, the game result would seem to bias against expensive low armour teams when they're the ones that don't build up as huge treasuries anyway. Don't mind the idea of something that limits the cash teams hold but the bank never struck me as a good answer
In my opinion, from a fluff perspective, it doesn't make sense to not have available cash influence team value, as a rich team would have a bigger advantage over a poor team. (Think New York Yankees.) The fluff has the match organizers giving inducement money to the underdog to make the match more competitive. The bank rule just adds a layer of savings that isn't available for the match, and so doesn't get added into team value.

I have played 3 seasons, and 3 different teams, with the bank rules. My first season was with Slann, and I was the leading CAS taker that season! The bank rules were fine. I was able to use journey-frogs to fill the empty roster slots as I saved to replace positionals. I never ran into problems with bank. Any time I neared /went over the cap, I bought another player. If I was caught up on positionals, I purchased a new linefrog.

Season 2 I played dwarves. I would have built up a massive treasury, but instead I hovered around 150k. If I was playing a higher TV team, I simply spent the extra on inducements. If not, I would blow the excess so I didn't bloat my own value. Again, no problem.

Season 3, 'flings. I played with low team value, and again, had no problems. I was able to keep 150 in the bank most of the season. If I went over, I simply spent it on inducements. The added bonus is that if the TV difference was divisible by 50, I got to keep some extra cash. I was able to afford to replace broken 'flings, and the bank allowed me to replace the one tree that was killed (apoth = dead) without missing a beat.

I can say from person experience, the bank rules work really well. They help rein in bash teams, work well for expensive / fragile teams, work for low TV teams, and help curb journeymen abuse.

While your mileage may vary, I think there is a strong case for using it in leagues.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Khorne teams would need a 180k bank, wouldn't they?

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Fassbinder75 wrote:Khorne teams would need a 180k bank, wouldn't they?
I don't play with Khorne, but Dwarf teams have a similar issues with Deathrollers. If you are save up to 150, you will most likely be able to purchase either of those within a game or 2. The extra 20 - 30k doesn't influence TV a great deal. It is a trade off. If you want to be able to purchase or replace them, you will carry a little extra team value. If you want to hover at 150 in the bank, and you big guy gets killed, you may not be able to replace him for a game or two.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

1) The suggestion about most expensive player is not in Bank text, but a separate idea about JM and FUMBBL.

2) Bank with 150K means you can expend more than that, if I have been reading the text correctly. You play with 150, then roll earnings (10 to 70K or more), buy players, and then the limit hits you again in the next match. So it doesn't hit any old team, not even Dwarfs. OK, maybe if you concede.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

1 thing I have wondered about for a while is if there should be a journeyman line on the roster. Axe the text about 0-12/0-16 and you can then tweak the stats. As noted some teams benifit more than others and that is one way of solving that.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

ChenZhen wrote:
I don't play with Khorne, but Dwarf teams have a similar issues with Deathrollers. If you are save up to 150, you will most likely be able to purchase either of those within a game or 2. The extra 20 - 30k doesn't influence TV a great deal. It is a trade off. If you want to be able to purchase or replace them, you will carry a little extra team value. If you want to hover at 150 in the bank, and you big guy gets killed, you may not be able to replace him for a game or two.
Why are you buying a Deathroller in the first place? :?:

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
ChenZhen wrote:
Why are you buying a Deathroller in the first place? :?:
I converted up a mini, and I can't help myself? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not saying it is recommended...but it can be fun.